Clamp vs riveted roof racks

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navtruckchic

Reaction score
Hey all just looking for everyone's thoughts on roof racks. Recently bought an awning and am now in search for some roof racks that will suit my 2010 d22.

The door clamp style or riveted ones? What's the pros and cons and any advice or info on either?

Also

Thoughts on the different brands??

Thanks!!

Gordy :)

think it depends what u want to put on them. the track ones will carrry more weight but the clamp on ones are easy to remove

clamp on ones are cheaper than the rail mounted ones and u dont have to drill holes in ur roof to fit them

And the clamp on ones hold awnings fine?

Just fine.

Check when supercheap or rays outdoors has specials on the Prorack range.

I have:
S7W FLUSH BAR: $300 RRP
+ K158W FITTING KIT: $59 RRP
MOUNT TYPE: Clamp Mount
LOAD RATING: 75kgs
DETAILS: Clamps over rubber door frame mouldings

Currently available in QLD for $249 in BCF stores.
Picked one up yesterday.

Pretty well made and locks onto vehicle. Looks integrated and not too add on.

199695-image-2.jpg

199695-image-1.jpg

The clamp on ones will carry an awning no probs at all.

I have heard of a couple of people having issues with them causing some leaks around the door rubbers, not sure why but i have read a few cases.

Also be aware that the load rating with clamp on racks halves when used off road, so although you only intend on using them for the awning at the moment take into consideration what you may end up using them for later on.

I found that out the hard way with my last D40 when the slearship fitted the clamp on ones and i then found out of a "Roofrack City" store the deal about load rating ad off road use, luckily the dealer copped it and installed the correct ones that i originally asked for.

I mounted the riveted racks on my nav, I did mine myself, so I know it has been painted on the bare metal after drilling through the roof. I also put a non hardening sealer on the rivets to prevent any leaks.

if it was me i would just put the track mounted system on over the clamp on (EDIT or instead of the clamp on), if ever you want to go for a roof top tent or put a full rack on and do a big trip caring a stack of gear you can, basically it gives you more options and more piece of mind, it also doesnt hurt the resale of the truck.

Last edited:
The clamp on ones will carry an awning no probs at all.

I have heard of a couple of people having issues with them causing some leaks around the door rubbers, not sure why but i have read a few cases.

Also be aware that the load rating with clamp on racks halves when used off road, so although you only intend on using them for the awning at the moment take into consideration what you may end up using them for later on.

I found that out the hard way with my last D40 when the slearship fitted the clamp on ones and i then found out of a "Roofrack City" store the deal about load rating ad off road use, luckily the dealer copped it and installed the correct ones that i originally asked for.

I posted this earlier, does this help.
Oh and Track mount is the riveted one and the clamp on is the one that goes on in your door jam

I see what happened and why i have confused you, i would choose the Track mount as apposed to the clamp on. not put one on over the top lol

Just fine.

Check when supercheap or rays outdoors has specials on the Prorack range.

I have:
S7W FLUSH BAR: $300 RRP
+ K158W FITTING KIT: $59 RRP
MOUNT TYPE:Clamp Mount
LOAD RATING:75kgs
DETAILS:Clamps over rubber door frame mouldings

Currently available in QLD for $249 in BCF stores.
Picked one up yesterday.

Pretty well made and locks onto vehicle. Looks integrated and not too add on.

199695-image-2.jpg

199695-image-1.jpg
That's what I've got.

What I don't get is wouldn't u have to buy 2 different types of roof racks to suit clamps and also the track mount??

Latest posts

Back