Clamp vs riveted roof racks

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was born blond and as I got older my body realised I was too smart to stay blond and it turned brown...
True story... sorta
Bugger off you! Go to the bat cave alone! :p

Gordy, if you are going to get some today I'd suggest the aerodynamic/pbar or whispbar whatever they call it. The square ones I have are noisy at high speeds. Gets annoying.

I have whisbar pro rack and they still scream like banshees, but squares are supposed to be worse. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417397458.287812.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417397504.409011.jpg the little tie downs in the ends are cool.

I have whisbar pro rack and they still scream like banshees, but squares are supposed to be worse. View attachment 18785
View attachment 18786 the little tie downs in the ends are cool.
It's a pain in the arse. The whispbar is meant to be a slight improvement on the shitty square ones. I can't complain I bought mine second hand for like $80 when I bought my camper, he had them laying in the corner of his garage.

I have had both types, i had the flat oval shaped ones on my d22, not only are they just as noisy as the square ones but are flimsy and flex like rubber with a load on.

I have been using square ones ever since my D22 and i dont really find the noise bad at all, but i could just be so use to the sound i pay no attention anymore.

The other issue is with the flat aero style or oval you cant get as many attachments for them like shovel and hi-lift ect accessories.

After using both i wouldnt waste a cent on the flat type even if they were slightly quieter then the square ones, and from my own experience they are not.

I have pro rack s wing racks. Quiet as dont make a sound. Can buy awning attachment kit aswell. All fits up easily no need to drill holes

If you think driving down the tar road is the same as going through the bush your delusional.

Lots of factors come into play from the car it self flexing right through the chassis to the sudden stops and extreme angles the car will be on, from leaning to either side to steep declines and inclines.

Picture having the roof loaded with 70+kg of weight and being on a sever lean then getting propped up suddenly by the rut or rock you were negotiating all that weight and force will be exerted somewhere and best not be relying on two clamps around your door jam

I had the clamp on ones and they moved all over the place with just my work ladders and planks, never mind being loaded up for a trip that involved allot of rough dirt roads/ fire trails and deep ruts ect .

Its definitely NOT "sales speak" its practical real world advice, there really isnt enough difference in price tpo justify bull shitting people, but it would look pretty bad if they sold you a rack system that fell off the first time you loaded it and went bush

Last edited:
theres really no need for this type of rack to be noisy atall, it has an aerofoil section design [ not flat box ] so all air should pass over this just like an areoplanes wing. what i do see is that black rubber perforation could be why you ar getting wind noise, cut off those V,s and i bet this will make a big difference in quietness. my previous pajero had a set of Rola Racks fitted which had the same alloy profile as these whispers in pics but did not have that V rubber stuff fitted, the Rolas were very very quiet as if not fitted. my navar has a simular whisper bar set fitted and also you don,t know there fitted [ yes highway driving at 110kph.

Sounds like you had a shit pair of clamp ons. Whats gonna happen? You think the clamp will just pop off? If installed correctly you would be fine. More then likely you would loose your load from not being secured properly. Look at all the old toyota clamp ons. Carry a shit load of weight

Sounds like you had a shit pair of clamp ons. Whats gonna happen? You think the clamp will just pop off? If installed correctly you would be fine. More then likely you would loose your load from not being secured properly. Look at all the old toyota clamp ons. Carry a shit load of weight

No in actual fact they were Rhino and brand new and were firstly installed by ARB, then adjusted by myself, then again by "Roof Rack City" in ACT and it made no difference at all, they never came off but kept ending up moving all around the door jam, scratched the shit out of the paint the exact same as my LN 106 Hilux that has them and all the paint is gone.

You only have to look at the design to see the clamp on are total rubbish no matter what brand, the design is just shit house.

The other thing that makes the track mount so much better is the amount of adjustment you have in the location of the racks you can slide them all the way along the roof as opposed to being stuck with them in one location.

No in actual fact they were Rhino and brand new and were firstly installed by ARB, then adjusted by myself, then again by "Roof Rack City" in ACT and it made no difference at all, they never came off but kept ending up moving all around the door jam, scratched the shit out of the paint the exact same as my LN 106 Hilux that has them and all the paint is gone.

Ok fair enough. My racks are on solid and dont move at all. Only have an awning mounted on them. And put a few things on them when going away. So I'll never test their max load rating. Do you know anyone that has had them fail?

Latest posts

Back