Clamp vs riveted roof racks

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I don't get is wouldn't u have to buy 2 different types of roof racks to suit clamps and also the track mount??

the rack or support beam or cross member can be the same its the foot that is different.
The track is riveted to the roof then the foot slides along the track in any position you choose.
The clamp on feet just go inside the door jam so they are rated to carry less weight.

Cool, basically if you can afford a few extra $$ get the track mount and the square cross bars, they have the highest load ratting and you will never need to change them if you do decide that you want to carry something like a rooftop Tent ect

On the website the load rating is no different between the clamp style and the riveted track style? Or am I reading it wrong? The load rating is also per pair so a 75KG load rating is for both racks, not 75KG each.

Problems with the clamp on racks, any model, is that if they are not secured properly, they tend to rub and scrape the paint off the roof.
I would choose rail type personally.

On the website the load rating is no different between the clamp style and the riveted track style? Or am I reading it wrong? The load rating is also per pair so a 75KG load rating is for both racks, not 75KG each.

If you look into it you will find that the load rating when OFF rOAD is halved with the clamp on type where as the Track mount remains the same.

Also the Aero Style (flat cross bar) is less then the square extra heavy duty type.

the other problem that i had when i had the clamp on for the short time was that if you use one strap to tie down a load that is crossed over the two racks you actually dislodge the two racks from the mounted location when tightening up the strap.

I've got pro rack whisbar track mount. 4 yrs on and I now need to work out how to fix the front two rivets that have popped from the roof. Not a drama for normal people who don't use them for trade work. I would go with the rhino racks that fix into position on the track with the two Allan head bolts. The pro racks use a single butterfly style nut and can move around over time and I never seem to be able to get them tight enough. The whisbars are supposedly the quietest tradie rated bars around.

If you look into it you will find that the load rating when OFF rOAD is halved with the clamp on type where as the Track mount remains the same.

Also the Aero Style (flat cross bar) is less then the square extra heavy duty type.

the other problem that i had when i had the clamp on for the short time was that if you use one strap to tie down a load that is crossed over the two racks you actually dislodge the two racks from the mounted location when tightening up the strap.

Have a read here Shorty, this is for the clamp on with 75KG rating

http://vpm.cdn.rhinorack.com.au/Instructions/Parts/Bars/HD-2500.pdf

This paragraph below was taken from the above Rhino Pdf link above

"Load Ratings
When these roof racks are to be used on a vehicle that is driven off sealed roads, the manufacturer maximum roof load rating (to be found in the vehicles User Manual) should be halved. For example, if the vehicles maximum roof load rating is 70kgs (sub- tract 5kg - weight of crossbar and legs), these racks, when fitted to this vehicle should have no more than 35kgs loaded on them"

Now this was taken from a roof rack city web site and is for the load ratings for gutter mount , track mount and clamp on or Gutterless as otherwise known

"How much can they carry?
This varies considerably from vehicle to vehicle, so always check the manufacturer’s recommended specifications. Gutter Mount legs are rated to 100kg per pair of crossbars. Removable rack systems to suit gutterless type vehicles using the Rhino Mont Blanc (RMB) bars are usually rated to 75kg per pair of crossbars. (Ref Fitting Guide)
While the Track Mount systems are rated to 100kg per pair of crossbars, the capacity restriction is relative to the roof of the vehicle not the roof racks."

--

Last edited:
I couldn't decide on track mount of the clamp style and in the end picked up some Rola Heavy Duty track mount for $320 of eBay. At least this way it can suit future needs to carry additional load - rooftop tent etc. as Nathan mentioned.

Install was easy just put them together position on roof over top of some masking tape, mark all holes to be drilled, take rack back off and drill holes (use a drill stop so you don't hit any airbags etc. in cavity) and finally install stainless rivets with a good sealant in the holes. Seems a very strong system so far.

Why are there so many!!!!! >_<

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417389004.648156.jpg

Nath which are u talking about??

Geez....where's that leave me. I was actually born a blonde. I use it as an excuse though. Works well ;)

I was born blond and as I got older my body realised I was too smart to stay blond and it turned brown...
True story... sorta

Latest posts

Back