Cracked ARB Canopy - Suggestions?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooxie

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just noticed a crack in my ARB canopy and wondering if it
s a common occurrence if if anyone has suggestions on how to patch it up!

I've only had my D22 for about 6 months and believe the Canopy is about 5 years old. I've taken her on a few rough trips, but as she's got stock suspension etc. it's been nothing too crazy.

Noticed a crack under one of the side windows out of the blue. Hadn't been off road for a few weeks and the only possible cause I could think of, is the extreme temperatures we've had!

Has anyone had problems with their ARB canopies cracking? Anyone have suggestions for repairing it?

Cheers!!

It's just fiberglass, anyone who has done any sort of panel work could easily repair the crack, as for stopping it reappearing it would be hard to say without seeing it.

A panel beater could paint it too but as to how good the colour match would be would be unknown until it's painted.

There is a lot of reason it could happen again it would be hard to pin point one without a lot more information though, again a panel beater may be able to give you an idea.

Should be a simple fix for any capable panel beater. Without seeing said crack my fix would be vee'ing out the crack front side and back side keying up both surfaces and laying a few sheets of mat and resin on each side. Sand and smooth of with filler prime and paint job done.

And also consider drilling a small hole at the end of the crack to help stop it running, then doing the glass repair

ARB conopies are now made from acrylonitrile butadiene styrene and if you check in Mr google, it shows different methods of ABS repair including the use of a hot soldering iron. If it is fibreglass, like the others have said:-

Perhaps you could ask ARB why it cracked. You never know, maybe there was a faulty batch or something.

Last edited:
Cheers guys, found a sticker in it from manufacture in 2007. It looks the same as current design, smooth on the inside textured on the outside, 99% sure it's ABS.
Shame it's not smooth on the outside, would have been much easier to get a decent looking repair on it!
I reckon I might give this stuff a go: http://www.trimfixsupplies.com/abs-cement.html
What do you reckon?

Even better if its ABS that stuff is the easiest stuff to plastic weld. Bonus cause working with fibreglass sucks big time. Soooooo itchy!

I got my arb one 120000k ago, around 4 years ago, smooth finish , steal arb rack on top thats always been loaded, no cracks , all in good condition except the poor quality locks that have been replaced twice and will need to be done again soon.

yeah... same with mine the locks are sh#t.... im on my second set they seem to just fall apart in your hand... not real good for the 3k....

Latest posts

Back