Cracking sound under full lock

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scouller

Yep super loud crack, sometimes more than once when turning at full lock. BOTH WAYS. Loud enough to make you cringe and think something has just snapped off your car. happens everytime when your driving but not when your looking for the sound.
To overcome this problem i just dont turn to full lock, and dont let other people drive my car.

I have changed my front shocks and ground a bit off the upper contral arm, and it seems to be making the noise less. not sure if the problem is related or not.

Let me know if you figure it out

Took my front shockers out and still got the noise, removed and refit tortion bars, no change. Monday I am going to put the old tortion bars back on and see if it fixs it. I have spent hours looking and trying to eliminate the noise. If i don't fix it by Tuesday it's going back to Nissan. Bryce do u have hd iron man tortion bars?

No HD tortion bars for me, just the stock ones wound up. I have had my truck at a few different places and none can tell me what it is. So i have stopped looking for the moment.

My old hilux was doing something similiar took it in twice they couldnt get it to make the clunk/crack about 2 months later the bearings fell out of my cv joints got this fixed and clunk was gone

Everyone that has a d22 have or has this loud front end noise, and has accepted it. Why r we accepting this. It's not normal and should be fixed. Surely some one has complained to Nissan and had it repaired???

My old hilux was doing something similiar took it in twice they couldnt get it to make the clunk/crack about 2 months later the bearings fell out of my cv joints got this fixed and clunk was gone

Im with longy if clunkn at normal operation not full lock fault with cv’s take back to Nissan warranty job

I don't think that it is cv related seems they don't even turn when the hubs are unlocked

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Forum Runner

yeh i dont know if its related or not it clunked and cracked in 2wd when they fell out i had it in 4x4 reversing up a driveway heard the noise a bit louder then normal didnt take any notice cause it was normal till the builder came in with a couple of bearings in his hand.

And don't do tight turns into Maccas car parks with a crowd sitting around their 5 " raised bright orange hiluxes, they start to say nasty things about Nissans. Although a quick comment about their choice of paint colour has them rethinking what to say next, :sarcastic:

What's wrong with orange paintjobs! - that's the next mod on my d22 - which by the way sounds like it's front end is ripping out each time I turn into my steep tight driveway. It's been doing it since I got the car and I figured if it was a major problem it would break whatever was causing the issue and then I'd know what to fix!:sarcastic:

Nissan called me, said it was a loose steering box. So I went there, and surprise first corner crack. So I took it back and left it there again. So stay tuned.

have you checked the mounting brackets on the power steering pump? the guy across the road from me said that his had snapped and caused a hell of a ruckus.
might be worth a look.

This is what causes the cracking on mine (Im pretty sure). has done it since i bought it. The adjusting bolt for the wheel alignment rubs on the stopper bit on the lower control arm. mine is pretty obvious as its been doing it for awhile the end is a bit worn down and theres wear marks on the stopping bit. In saying that its never caused any issues.

Attachments

• 22112011004.jpg
    22112011004.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 158
snapper2112 said:
This is what causes the cracking on mine (Im pretty sure). has done it since i bought it. The adjusting bolt for the wheel alignment rubs on the stopper bit on the lower control arm. mine is pretty obvious as its been doing it for awhile the end is a bit worn down and theres wear marks on the stopping bit. In saying that its never caused any issues.

Yeah, this is well documented and doesn't do any damage (apart from the weird looks people give you when it happens)

I've got a few funny knocks in the front end of mine. Only happens under heavy braking, so something is loose, so I might have to jump under with some spanners and give it all a tighten.

Thanks for the info guys. When I tool it to Nissan and didn't fix it, I then got the service manager to listen and he said he has never heard any thing like that before. Now I have spent endless hours and days looking for the noise, so nissan service have got there work cut out for them. I worried that if they take hours to find it then say that's not under warranty, hate to get a bill!!

Day 2. They still can't find it. They said if it turns out that it is related to the suspension I changed ( shocks and adjusting the tortion bar) I will be hit with a bill of 130 an hour. It has already been 4 hours, but if I want to cone and get it now, there's no bill. Also I ground the control arms a little for the shocks so if it's the ball joints I'm farked. So they can keep the car and I will pray it's not related to the lift kit.

Latest posts

Back