D21 Build Log

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go the KA24DE swap to, you have more time then me obviously. Lol.

Dave.

I guess im lucky in some ways as I do have time through the day to fiddle with my toys. But I dont have a lot of spare cash. So the logical answer for me was to "find" a Z24 suit rebuild, do as much as I can myself, get my mechanic mate who works for beer to help out when required and get the old girl going ok without spending tooooo much. Sure it will never win a drag race or a rock climbing comp, but it is 24 years old and already had one life.

D21 its cool I uderstand where your coming from, I just think the KA24DE out lay is worth it as there more efficient then the Z24.

Dave.

Had my new Wrangler MTRs on for a bit today, so I snapped a shot. They look better than the HTs but they're nowhere near as sticky on the blacktop - normally I can't get the back end out, with these on it's tailhappy-as. One more step in my quest to have a different colour for each body panel.

BuildLog013_002_Medium_.jpg

New toy. Got it on special at BCF, didn't walk in with the intention of buying but it was the last day of the sale, and the last unit left at my local store.

BuildLog014_002_Medium_.jpg

I don't have an antenna for it yet so it won't be installed for a while.

The electronic speed sensor was corroded into the transfer case from the QD32, so I couldn't swap it out for the mechanical one from my TD27. In the process of trying many different ways to remove it, I snapped so much off the body there was nothing left to grip. :rant:*#^$&#% the xfer case had to come apart.

BuildLog017_001_Medium_.jpg

BuildLog017_002_Medium_.jpg

After hours of trying heat, WD40, machining in slots and failed vice grips, I finally drilled and tapped a series of holes around the body of the sensor, snapped pieces off and drove it out with the bolt:
Totally f'd, but out:
BuildLog017_007_Medium_.jpg

The mechanical sensor slid in and out no worries.

what do you do for a living? ive taken on some big jobs but your just keen. cant wait to see her finished

Thanks Fonzy, I'll be glad to have my car back on the road too! For money I'm a waiter, but my real "occupation" is a second-year automotive engineering student.

Well done Dion, I imagine there was some cursing and swearing getting that out.

Dave.

automotive engineering you could come in handy last big project i did was a ej20t in a brumby it was a while ago we built it just after regolys built theres never again to change the spark plugs you had to undo the engine mounts and lift the engine. we used platnums. keep up the good work.

Well done Dion, I imagine there was some cursing and swearing getting that out.

Thanks Dave, a little bit of "get outta there yer c***" but mainly just a total waste of 3/4 of a day :rant:

automotive engineering you could come in handy last big project i did was a ej20t in a brumby it was a while ago we built it just after regolys built theres never again to change the spark plugs you had to undo the engine mounts and lift the engine. we used platnums. keep up the good work.

One day maybe I might be a VASS signatory but it's a long road to getting accredited. :sad:

Sounds like a pain just to change spark plugs, makes me feel a bit better about the oil filter location on the TD/QD motor.

No transmission jack, no worries. That crane is pretty much the best tool I've ever bought.

BuildLog017_008_Large_.jpg

I took the opportunity while the Nav is off the road to get the centre bearing pressed off and a new one pressed on. I bought the $66 eBay special, so I'm interested to see if it lasts as long as the Nissan ones apparently do.

It's nice to get rid of the squeal I was getting from the chewed out centre bearing rubber cushion.

New motor is in and running, started easy first time, took it for a bit of a test drive as well. Couple of tweaks still needed to get everything comfortable, the biggest bugger is that I'm still on the TD27 wiring as the QD32 plugs are SO different, even though they all do the same job. There's a fair bit of cutting, splicing, and thinking to get it all onto the QD32 harness. Even then I think there will have to be some aftermarket warning lights on the dash.

Dave I cleaned out the banjo filter, I haven't noticed a miss at 3500rpm yet but I haven't done much with it so we'll see.

The motor IS a straight bolt in job but the transmission is NOT. The FS5R30A is about 20-25mm longer than the FS5W71C in its flange-to-flange length, and obviously the TX10A is the same size, so there is an overall increase. This causes problems with the crossmember to which to gearbox is bolted, it no longer lines up with the holes on the chassis, and the transfer case is VERY close to the second cross member. Both can be dodgied to work. Obviously the difference is taken up by the sliding splines on both driveshafts.

Check this out:

It's,
a pod filter on a diesel
ducted with PVC pipe
duct taped
cable tied to the fuel filter bracketry

I am the ghetto king:

BuildLog018_Medium_.jpg

It's thrown together for minimum price whilst I make the bracketry up to mount the 80 series airbox and snorkel where I want them.

Oh and, according to my Pants Dyno, I have 20% more power with the new engine. 3rd gear up a 2nd gear hill and faster to the tonne.

No transmission jack, no worries. That crane is pretty much the best tool I've ever bought.

Couldnt agree more. Easily one of the best tools in the shed. Made putting the gearbox in/out much easier, testing flex and clearance, setting ride height, adjusting coilovers etc etc so much easier. oh and its also done an engine swap.

Looks good Dion well done, glad the motor went to a good home.

Next project after the gearbox is in place right is to bolt that turbo on.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back