D22 3.0 Starting Problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my zd's been a pig to start for ages it starts then stops on about third time itll run but needs a good ten mins before itll rev (fog bank behind when it does) ive bypassed the fuel filter (soft even when engine running) had the codes one code was speedo (broken wires on g/box) another pump timming (hence looking at lift pump as per advice of here!) and another the guy hadnt got any info on so didnt know what it was.
heres a link to video of it after start up from cold (neighbours love me!), https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/wMO3RUCDP9dF86JVpU7EPA?feat=directlink

Jase, pump the primer and see how many times it needs to be pressed until it gets hard to press.

Pretty common issue.

If she is rooted, order a new primer.

yeagh primer is duff (never hard) but even when i bypassed it its running ruff,thats why i was thinkin maybe a gauze filter in pump same as the td27 lump

i reckon im gonna strip all rubber hoses off and get new lines,so any links/blockages dealt with in one foul swoop lol,it does go nice though when its running right much better than the terrano 2.7tdi it replaced no lag!
what size are the fuel lines? if i pull one off to measure ill never get fuel back up lol!

Last edited:
gonna order the new rubber hoses for turbo to manifold ,what boost do zds kick out the ebay silicone ones say they handle upto 8bar or 116psi in old money lol

Thats very overkill. Go for it.

Overkill never lets you down.

Jace they run about 15Psi standard.

i should be ok,the engines not that unusual as it goes in our trols its just unusual in a navara lol.ebay is the best place as we get more of the south african variant called a hardbody,i will keep it in mind though can always paypal funds to aus lol

ok replaced the (knackered turbo hoses,booked it in at local bosch diesel centre for codes to be read,anyone know what size the rubber fuel lines are? (i darent take em off not having a lift pump or ill have to drag it round the block to start it lol).would lift pump/filter housing fit of another nissan terrano2.7or3.0/3.0 patrol/2.5 navra?
would the speedo not working afect the running,ive ripped the wires off my sensor.

Last edited:
code f77p7 air in fuel,contaminated fuel,or knackered pump.
new filter/primer should be here tommorow hopefully this will clear it,will the engine check light go off or will i have to reset ecu? (if that cures the fault of course)

would the speedo not working afect the running,ive ripped the wires off my sensor.

that can cause engine not to run as its an input into the ecu. i would have to check the manual to see if its flags an error code or not.

it threw up a code but one that can be turned off,hopefully get new filter head today tommorow see if that cures the crap running,think ill blast the fuel lines with air line aswell clean any blockages there may be

new filter primes up hard it starts and revs fine with no malfunction light so thats good as gold! but im still losing the built up presure from the system after a few mins and engine loses power again and on comes light and primers soft again, so gonna buy shed load of rubber pipe and replace every single rubber joint i can find!.at least im getting somewhere lol

if your chasing air in the fuel fit a bit of clear fuel line and look for bubbles. start with fitting it after the IP. then go to before IP, before after filter etc and you should be able to narrow down the problem.

just note that they are known to leak air in through the spill line from the injectors. the seals on the injectors can be a bit hard to get on right and sometimes leak.

i did notice a small split on the return from injector,it looked dry so discounted it,pipe shopping today lol

replaced filter head,replaced line to it with clear hose loadsa air so ran new line from tank (tank off what a ball ache lol! to filter bypassing all nissans metal-rubber joints no more air,but filter goes soft when start it or when its left,could the return pipe from pump to tank now be culprit? i shouldve replaced the lot whilst i was at it i know,but just did the tank to metal at tank end!.

mate you are keen !

simply use the clear hose to find where the air is getting in rather than replacing everything. its usually just a loose clip that you can tighten up. the other common one is the fuel filter or filter housing. again use the clear hose, look for bubbles before and after the filter.

Latest posts

Back