D22 ST-R as a commuter

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kierand80

Reaction score
Hi All,

First time post, so please be nice :) I'm considering trading in my sedan for a 2010 d22 Navara ST-R, mainly because I have dogs and are sick of them wrecking the interior of my car (and the dog smell). I also do a bit of DIY which the ute should come in handy for, though the primary task for the Navara would be to get my to and from work in Sydney. I think i'm getting a pretty good deal $28888 on road, the only thing holding me back is the thought that spending 40 mins in traffic each morning might be frustrating coming from a Sedan, has anyone made such a trade, if so would you do it again? What kind of economy should I expect for stop start traffic?

Thanks

Kieran

I do 50,000km's a year in my 22.

But I mainly do night time driving as I hate the traffic.

From driving through Sydney, the left leg gets a work out off and on the clutch all the time.

My situation isnt far different. (but no dogs!) I drive about 20 mins in medium traffic to work about 2 days a week and ride the others. I got rid of a falcon, about 9 months ago. Re Fuel economy I get 9.5-10.5 lp 100k no matter how I drive. I'm happy with my call, but mostly this trade off is about the camping vehicle that the Nav is for me. Not sure I'd want to do 40 mins 5 days a week. But really its something only you can decide.

Thanks guys! Maybe I should consider a cheap bike as second vehicle...postie bike maybe :) 9.5 - 10.5 l/100km sounds pretty good to me considering the size (and weight) of the Navara.

Hey mate,

I use my Nav to commute, some times more then an hour at a time in traffic and I have no complaints. Just think the leg going on and off the clutch as a work out!

As long as the tunes are cranked, its all good!

I had a D22 and was looking into novated leasing a vehicle for work. I ended up going to an Xtrail diesel for a couple of reasons. First and foremost I could not sell the D22 to the lease co and lease it back as it is over the 1000kg payload mark (By about 20gk!) so I coulld not lease it in any case, but the clinchers for me would have been the ride of the D22 as a lot of my daily commute (About 140KM round trip) is over pretty lumpy roads and I have to park in underground car parks a few times a month, the one I have to use (Paid for by work) would have been an insane PITA to park it in with the length and turning circle of the Nav, in particular there is a real corkscrew ramp to get up out that would have been a real effort each time to not crunch the front corner or the middle of one side on the armco. It would have been a slot it into low range job to crawl up slowly.

the biggest thing if I could have leased it would still have been the ride over bumps.

The Xtrail howver is quiet, compliant, handles well enough for a softroader and turns in about 7.2L/100km on average. It is just a bit of a handbag compared to the nav.

The bumps are the issue for me. Unloaded, the springs are rather stiff. A couple of site boxes full of sand might fix that {:).

Noise box side, it will be very sufficient with am/fm and 6 stack cd player, plus aux input.

Air con is basic on/off, if that bothers you.

Just curious where you can get a 40 min commute as most peeps I know are 60-120min commutes.

FWIW, I always took the train and did up to 30 minutes walking at the other end(frigging buses), but it was good exercise when the new fad in luser support was remote support.

Mines a commuter, and I find it fine. The only thing i'd change is the clutch pedal leg room space is a little cramped - it could really use a little extra room where the trans tunnel is and a foot rest... but oh well, its a great vehicle.

Hi Kieran I have just traded my car in for a new D22 two weeks ago mainly for the same reasons to throw the dogs in the back and to tow my boat at this stage I love it.

I use my D22 to drive from home to the city every day, about a 35 min trip each way in peak hour traffic. Not as comfortable as the previous Camry, much better view, and a manual does not bother me. There are a couple of places where everything always slows right down and idling along in first gear seems to be the right speed there anyway!

Fuel consumption I get is around 11L/100km, fuel light normally comes on at about 610km or so.

And my wife hates driving in the Nav, it is noisy, bumpy, harsh, crap stereo, uncomfortable seats, . . . . .

Fuel consumption I get is around 11L/100km, fuel light normally comes on at about 610km or so.

Thats the Diesel though right? cos when I was running around town in my
05D22Pet i was lucky to get 450 out of a tank... I am just past the point of caring though... I get 550 of the highway, again if I am lucky!

Latest posts

Back