D40 engine problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeschmidtke

Reaction score
It's 2010 model, start ya bastard was used to start it and I think it put it in limp mode. The car has absolutely no power and stalls if you don't rev it. I have the dpf filter and 4wd dash lights on then an engine light when it stalls. It has me stumped, what could the problem be?

Why did you use startyoubugger was there a problem before and it would not fire?, have you tried a simple ecu reset since?, you need to supply a tad more info to think of the possible cause.

It's recently been stalling and running like a dog when it's cold, so I replaced the scv. It had a fuel problem somewhere and wouldn't start so start ya bastard was used. I tried restarting the ecu by taking the battery terminals off and doing the accelerator thing. Now it starts normally but I have those lights and it blows a mist of diesel out the exhaust until it heats up. But now even when it's hot the revs don't climb quick enough, it's way down on power and will still stall if it isn't being revved.

Sounds like its in limp mode and may need the codes cleared with a scangauge or similar or plugged into the Nissan "consult"
Also sounds like since the scv was done it's now starting better ect, there is another way to reset the ecu by using the throttle ect, I think it's a sticky thread and gives you the step by step routine, if that doesn't work then you need to get codes cleared by a device that plugs into the obd port

Yeah I tried resetting it with the throttle but that didnt help. Does limp mode usually make it stall and blow heaps of diesel out the exhaust?

Limp mode does not make it blow more smoke, it's a fuel cut induced by the ECU to prevent the engine from revving any further (so if anything, limp mode SHOULD induce less smoke). There might be something not quite right with the turbocharger actuator (which could be just vac hoses, or solenoid, or the actuator, or the electrical contacts to the solenoid).

If the MAFS is considered good then it's either turbocharger or possibly fuel rail pressure sensor. The sensor - if it reads low - will make the car perform differently.

Because it is significantly lacking power I'm thinking turbo-related. If you can get the engine running, check the little arm under the actuator for movement. No movement = issues.

The fact that it's blowing diesel out the back is a worry, and still may be turbo-related but there are other possibilities. There's a chance that your engine is stuck in a regen cycle, trying to feed diesel out to the DPF during the exhaust strokes. There's also a chance that it's a dribbling injector. Either of these problems could cost $ to diagnose and fix. Checking the turbo is free - do that first!

Well I think it started after start ya bastard was used to start it, maybe that damaged the maf sensor or something? Could that cause it to stall and blow diesel?
But that doesn't explain to why the DPF light is on.
If I do the accelerator trick and get the engine light code how do I identify what the code means?

Maybe glow plugs are on the way out or air leaking in the fuel filter as original problems and the start ya bastard has somehow triggered a dpf burn ??

Took the bloody thing for a drive a big drive today in limp mode. Took about 30kms of driving like a granny and it finally went back to normal but the dpf light is still on and I was getting 70L/100km's for my fuel economy lol
So to me the thing is stuck in regen mode and continuously pumping diesel out to try and clean the dpf. I'm going to replace the sensors in it and see how I go from there.

this may be a really dumb suggestion, BUT are you 100% sure that an accidental fuel mix up hasnt occurred?
the reason i ask is my brother in-law rang me the other day saying that my old D40 i sold him started run like a bastard and was blowing all sort of really bad smoke, it was also making funny knocking sounds with a few lights and would rev.

At the end of the day it turned out in his early morning rush he somehow stuffed up and put 60lt of unleaded in and never realised he had done it until the mechanic had it for a full day before he realised the receipt on the seat said UNLEADED!!

The good news is that after draining and flushing inc a filter change its all back to normal, three tanks of diesel later and she is still running fine so it appears he avoided a major rebuild.

Just thought i may mention it as even the three mechanics didnt think it was the issue and if they didnt notice the receipt i dont know how long it would of been before they picked up on it.

Nathan, I did that to a ranger at work I noticed what I had done after 2-3ks, drained the unleaded and filled with fresh diesel
it now goes better than all of the others
the symptoms were much the same as Leeschmidtke's if only for a few kilometres

Latest posts

Back