D40 Fuel Economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had my D40 ST Dual Cab New since April 2010 ... it's on lease so I have accurate data on mileage and economy.

Attached is the mileage history since I have had the car. It's pretty much consistently around 9 L/100Km except on long trips (at higher speeds) or when towing my boat.

I have no complaints at all regarding the fuel economy. I drive the car to and from work in peak hour traffic about 120Km every day.

Attachments

• D40Ltper100Km.jpg
    D40Ltper100Km.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 83
Hi all I have Doned the Chipit Delete pipe and so far from what i can see its made a big Differance, I off down to Canberra on the weekend so i will give a update on Fuel usage.

I've had my D40 ST Dual Cab New since April 2010 ... it's on lease so I have accurate data on mileage and economy.

Attached is the mileage history since I have had the car. It's pretty much consistently around 9 L/100Km except on long trips (at higher speeds) or when towing my boat.

I have no complaints at all regarding the fuel economy. I drive the car to and from work in peak hour traffic about 120Km every day.

Is your car manual or automatic?

Went for a drive today, doing some testing before the trip across the Nullarbor and in 435ks the fuel economy returned was 9.4LPH. I wasn't loaded, the road was probably about 70% flat and 30% hills (a few of those fairly steep) and I really wasn't pushing it with cruise set on 97MPH, but with figures that low I'm quietly confident this trip to the other side and back will use less fuel than the last one.

Went for a drive today, doing some testing before the trip across the Nullarbor and in 435ks the fuel economy returned was 9.4LPH. I wasn't loaded, the road was probably about 70% flat and 30% hills (a few of those fairly steep) and I really wasn't pushing it with cruise set on 97MPH, but with figures that low I'm quietly confident this trip to the other side and back will use less fuel than the last one.

Krafty those are great figures considering your MASSIVE!! right foot 97MPH !!!!!
with the cruise on and still got 9.4LPH...... WOW!!! :sarcastic::big_smile:

im just kidding you obviously meant kph or did you :sarcastic:

How the frig do you get 9.4LPH mine is 11.5 to 12.5, Dam that's good!!!!

As has been said thousands of times any speed under 100kph in these 3 tonne wind breaks saves fuel but costs so little in extra time on the road. My ute spent most of it's time revving at or below 2000 RPM for the entire trip where as at speeds up to 110KPH the revs will increase by 200-300 just to maintain the speed and that just has to use more fuel.

Sitting behind me at a comfortable distance was the old man in his 3 week old BT50 with about 400kgs in the back and only 1200ks on the clock and his ute reported 8.6 for the same traveling distance.

Nathan I got the special import Nav it's got MPH on the gauge, but until now I didn't realise it, no wonder I've always thought my speedo was out :sarcastic:

I got my D40 almost bang on two months ago and it's up to 9000 kays. (Manual).

It started off getting a bit over 11.5L per 100 but its now down to 10.5L per 100. My driving includes a mix of highway and town. I don't sit on 90 either :)

It's got a few inches of lift as well as a canopy and a set of drawers. It would carry maybe 150kg on top of these as well.

It's definently not as good as the competion dual cab utes in regards to economy but it's not bad as such.

I'll be towing the camper with it for a few thousand kays out west next month so am hoping the economy only increases a few hundred per litre.

You also have a engine with more power and two years more technology than mine, many of the '11 owners are reporting as low as 8's with the majority probably in the 9's so the extra 12KW or whatever it is has quite some improvements over my 09.

Can't that Thai's make the 140KW engine?

Is the "most powerful tradie" ads only applicable to the STX?

I thought all new models got the newer more advanced engine but I really don't keep up with the new models that much. Even so the old man's BT50 is a 2.93l engine (can't remember the KW ratings and can't be bothered looking it up) and with 1000 k's on the clock it's beating mine by atleast 1LPH, which means newer technology is doing something positive so you might get down into the 9's as your ute gets older.

i have a 2010 ST manual which i bought in may this year. i have to really drive slow and steady and the best i have got is 10.3lph thats changing gears at 2000 to 2400rpm and not going over 100kph.
i have bar and winch about 150kg of tools and a couple of ladders, i also run 265/75/16 tyers.
i will have to do a test with no ladders and crap on the roof, i think that is what is stopping me from getting under the 10lph mark.
having said that i am pretty happy with those figures considering the wind drag and bigger tyres.

Last edited:
I rarely go over 2000 RPM but mine's an auto and changes at about 2100 max under normal conditions.

I haven't repeated the effort for a while but when I did my last trip across the Nullarbor I looked at my scangauge and for an entire day's driving on a relatively flat road of about 800ks the max revving for the entire day was something like 2250RPM. The lower the revs definitely makes a huge difference on fuel however not all of our utes despite looking the same will rev at the same revs for the same speed it's just one of those things cars don't do.

thanks for the the info Krafty, i keep meaning to ask the auto owners what revs the box will change at. i have found with the manual that if i change at 2000rpm by the time i have selected the next gear the revs have dropped to about 1400rpm, which i think is a little low and causes the motor to labour a little before getting back to the sweet spot. so i tend to change a slightly higher revs, like 2300 - 2400rpm which seems to be a bit smoother. then stick to around the 2000rpm mark once im up to speed

No worries on the info but remember I drive like an old man and even Miss Daisy got out of my car saying I'm too slow!

My V6 averages around 13.5 around town and gets 10.5 on the Highway.

Only ever run on 98 ron, I have a snorkel which I'm told will help improve economy but I'm a touch dubious about that.

I'd be dubious too but even so 13.5 isn't real bad for a petrol given what the few others on here with Petrol D40's are saying. That might change a bit with the mods though.

So far,

First tank, brand new car, , 50/50 mix of In town (cross Sydney) expessway and rural/urban shopping trolley tasks.

Manual 2011 140kw spain built, stock.

Dash says 7.8 lts per 100,
Filled at 320km as I always fill on Sundays, actual use was 7.9 lt per 100

Latest posts

Back