D40 Motor into a D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyNav09

Reaction score
as the title describes i had a thought about the advantages and disadvantages of putting the 125kw or higher d40 motor into a d22 for that extra PUNCH out of the motor. now i really havent thought this through and have no idea on engine bay capacity but from what i know the shortblocks are identical on the d22 and d40 motor its just all the extra bits thats different. is this do able would it be just a in and out motor or would u neeed to remove the shortblock from the d40 and put it in the d22 shortblocks space. so then u would have the d40 shortblock with the d22 other bits. one advantage would be a bigger sump that ive heard yes no?

any ideas and hints would be good? its not something im jumping into asap it was just a thought i had that might be good for someone who is looking into it doing a engine swap for there d22

cheers
Rusty

While it would be nice and nearly anything is possible I think you will probably be faced with a lot of electrical modification, and mechanical issues such as gearbox compatibility etc. I am sure it could be done for a price though.

Stuff that, shoe horn in a Rover TDV6, 180kW 600Nm.

Seriously though why bother? It would be cheaper to buy a D40.

are you talking about going from a zd30 to the yd2.5? or do you already have the 2.5?

Your garage shows us a 2.5 CRTD. It is essentially the same engine as the D40, just a different program in the ECU and a different turbo.

So it begs the question - why not see Robert @ ChipIt to get the extra beans, and consider a turbo with a higher boost if that's not enough?

i think the new stx with the 140kw 2.5 has a different cylinder head with parallel ports as well as what tony said.

I like your thinking Rusty.

The D40 and D22 are quite different vehicles and each owners like theirs for different reasons, so putting a D40 engine in a D22 makes perfect sense to me if you love the D22. I reckon it would really go well in the lighter body!

I like your thinking Rusty.

The D40 and D22 are quite different vehicles and each owners like theirs for different reasons, so putting a D40 engine in a D22 makes perfect sense to me if you love the D22. I reckon it would really go well in the lighter body!

matt, correct me if im wrong but it seems as though rusty has the 2.5 motor already.
i think all he would have to do is, change the head, turbo and throw a chip in it and he would essentially have a 2010/11 stx d40 motor.
throw an exhaust on and he would have just as much if not more power than the new stx.
im just not sure if he would need to run a bigger intercooler to suit the new turbo, or if the d22 has the room for it behind the grill, but from memory of my old d22 i think you could squeeze one in there.

Yes I have the yd25 motor but could you imagine 125 or 140 le in chipped or modified in the lighter body and the nicer body. Then add ur chip, exhaust and stuff.

I am not doing this mod to my vehicle until mine blows up. which could be along way away. I am already getting the chipit module from my local installer and can't wait to get it when funds allow. I've already got exhaust and egr block. I would like to get a boost controller in aswell.

thought this would be an interesting topic to view ppls thoughts. but in saying that if someone is doing it I would like to see the build bit by bit.

Rusty

maybe not worth the effort to change motors, better to just change added on bits, unless your thinking of putting the 550 motor into d22. that would be cool. :)

550 motor wouldnt fit i recon. some serious front end work to get it to fit. my brother has already looked at putting one in his gu patrol but its to big to fit under the bonnet, i think it just doesnt fit between the wheel arches.

so you recon keep my motor add bigger turbo, bigger top mount intercooler, and chip it ill be easily pushing the d40 motor output of either 125 or 140kw at the wheel? not a the flywheel, transfer loss sucks balls. in the end the 125 and the 98 of the d22 are the identical motor just bigger turbo and something else cant remember.

Yes I have the yd25 motor but could you imagine 125 or 140 le in chipped or modified in the lighter body and the nicer body. Then add ur chip, exhaust and stuff.

I am not doing this mod to my vehicle until mine blows up. which could be along way away. I am already getting the chipit module from my local installer and can't wait to get it when funds allow. I've already got exhaust and egr block. I would like to get a boost controller in aswell.

thought this would be an interesting topic to view ppls thoughts. but in saying that if someone is doing it I would like to see the build bit by bit.

Rusty

what im trying to say is, why swap the bottom end when you already have the same as the d40. the only thing you should need to do is the turbo and the cylinder head,to make it the same motor. then put a chip in it to change the ecu settings the d22 is running. that way you wouldnt have the added expense of putting in a d40 ecu. if you then went to a bigger intercooler and exhaust you would have a more power then a stock d40.
i would of loved my old 3lt d22 to have 140+ kw's as i do believe that it was a slightly better 4wd mainly due to the better diffs and it seemed to flex a little better.
the other thing that would of been nice is to have the 6 speed gear box and transfer case the d40 has. the low range gearing of the d40 is great. :peace:

I'd ditch the top-mount intercooler and go frontal, too. Dunno what to do about the hole in your bonnet, but you can only get as large an intercooler above the engine as you have hole in bonnet, so a front-mount can be MUCH larger. The bigger the better.

As for increasing boost ... you thinking of a bigger turbo or a variable vane job? The variable job needs a control unit, possibly tied in to the ECU or (like the D40) part of the ECU's function.

I know the 140kW head is going to improve things, but if you look at the power increase for $ spent, I am not sure that would give you a decent return on your investment. I'd be doing the chip, an exhaust, a bigger turbo and then a front-mount intercooler (in that order). You ought to be able to crank out a satisfactory amount of ponies with that and come in under $5000, where the new head will probably cost you that amount.

Hmmm there is some serious stuff to consider. I like the look if the top mount on the d22. Could it be made larger in put a bigger intercooler in top? I've got exhaust and chip is coming soon. Then down the track a long way go turbo etc. As for the variable vane or bigger turbo I honestly don't understand the difference. I don't really have much knowledge on turbos. That's my lacking part.

i fully agree tony and scotty, and personally i wouldnt bother with the head. i only mentioned the head as an option, as opposed to changing the whole motor. the expense of a long motor would be even higher again obviously then just a head
as for what to do with the whole in the bonnet. i guess you could just put some stainless steel mesh in the scoop to stop a bit of the crap flying in the engine bay, or put an old 3lt bonnet on.

Last edited:
If you are contemplating a larger intercooler in the bonnet, consider the structural strength of the bonnet with a larger hole in it. It will require a larger bonnet scoop as well, to allow the extra air to flow in.

Also consider that what you're trying to achieve - removing the heat from the air compressed by the turbocharger - is not going to be helped by having the intercooler above the engine. A larger intercooler will soak up more engine heat from below, making it less effective.

The intercooler doesn't add a large amount to the equation, but it does add some. A larger intercooler in a better position will improve things, but the reason that I placed it last in my list was because the gain isn't as great for the $ spent but in my opinion, an intercooler is an essential part of a turbocharged engine - even if it's only to catch bits of broken turbocharger.

This is all great info and was worth the post of topic. Also this Kay sound stupid could you not plumb the top mount into a front mount then back to the engine?

Latest posts

Back