D40 NO turbo whistle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NIX450

Reaction score
Had my D40 for a couple of weeks now and loving it.
Fitted the Factory snorkel on the weekend no turbo whistle now and none before it was fitted.
Triton's and Hilux's have nice turbo whistle especially when there spooling up but my D40 is none existant.
Will an exhaust fix this?

Don't know about turbo whistle but if you haven't noticed induction noise since fitting the snorkel, it might be wise to check that it is sealed properly.

Turn the radio down :)
I hear mine easily, so i'm not sure why you can't hear yours. I don't have a snorkel.
The sound out of the exhaust is good. If you ever get the chance have a listen to it coming off boost.

I can hear the induction noise and when i put my hand up to the snorkel i can feel it sucking. The car has travelled 900km. Ive driven with the radio off cant here a thing.

Mine was louder before the snokel was fitted but now I can get cool flutter sounds threw the snorkel I want to put a exhaust on mine but I'd like too see a vid or at least hear someone's set up. there's no youtube videos or nothing of a diesel exhaust on a navara d40 so if anyone heard of one please post or if u have a exhaust film it and post

Mine was louder before the snokel was fitted but now I can get cool flutter sounds threw the snorkel I want to put a exhaust on mine but I'd like too see a vid or at least hear someone's set up. there's no youtube videos or nothing of a diesel exhaust on a navara d40 so if anyone heard of one please post or if u have a exhaust film it and post

same

get a K&n filter! my turbo whistle went heaps louder. But if ur going bush ie dusty roads replace the K&N with the OEM paper filter. basically k&n has better air flow thus the louder whistle but the bad things is that it doesnt look like it would stop tiny dust particles

yeah your definatley right my d40 has nearly no sound at all compared to my new model hilux which whistles really loud .. maybe a snorkle and k&n filter may make the difference

Inside the air box pre filter there is noise baffles.. if you want more sound these are easily removed, but tou have to remove the whole box to get to them... this dosent take long and it will definetly be louder...

any pics of the prefilter? My series 6 just has the airboxfrom what i can see.

Last edited:
Dont have any pics... but if you look at the air box it should have a small round (can like) section under the front of the box. the pre cleaner baffles are in side of that but you have to remove the whole box, 2 bolts then just pull it up. there is a thread on here re removal of the air box just use search function......

Ive noticed manuals seems to make a bit more turbo flutter then autos. I have a snorkel, even before it was a loud whistle but quite a bit louder with the snorkel and a nice little flutter coming off the revs.

Yeah, I get that flutter sound on backing off to. Have the factory snorkel and now sealed after the dicks at Nissan didn't. Pre-cleaner is still intack.
As for the whistle, bugger all which I'm delighted about. It would give me the shits hearing the thing whistling away but then again I'm a grumpy old barstard.

get a K&n filter! my turbo whistle went heaps louder. But if ur going bush ie dusty roads replace the K&N with the OEM paper filter. basically k&n has better air flow thus the louder whistle but the bad things is that it doesnt look like it would stop tiny dust particles

i have run K&N filters in street cars, 4x4's and Bikes they work in any condition and much better then paper.

I disagree Simon. While the do have a much larger air flow rate they cannot filter anything near what a uni-filter can. A OEM paper filter is the best mid way. K&N for street and Uni for offroad. The oil in the K&N filter helps to catch smaller particles but a UNI will catch a lot more. Why is it that all the good filters need to be oiled?

I have a K&N Apollo on my QD32Ti which I have the boost set at 15 and if I did not love the sound of the boost it would drive me mad!
I also love to see the Silvia drivers staring with a "WTF" look on their face.

Inside the air box pre filter there is noise baffles.. if you want more sound these are easily removed, but tou have to remove the whole box to get to them... this dosent take long and it will definetly be louder...

how do you remove these baffles?

Here's a video of a D40 whistling:

http://youtu.be/Z39Wiq4-27o

Not my video but might help. I can't say I notice anything, but then its not an EVO/Scubbi so why would I want to hear it..........although have to admit, the impretazahs do should good when they "whoosh"

I have noticed my new spain built d40 sounds totally different to my old Thai D40, both have stock exhausts and both have Safari snorkels. The new one sounds deeper and has an obvious turbo noise when on the GO peddle or when you get off it.

Latest posts

Back