D40 NO turbo whistle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took out ny airbox today to get rid of the baffle but when I took it apart I realised that part of ny airbox is non existent. I have a 2.5 2010 Thai built st does anyone know if they are somewhere else or not in mine at all?

I have a 2012 ST manual and i can not hear any turbo noise at all.
I removed the air box yesterday and removed the baffle which is a bit different to the baffle i have seen on others on here. Put in a K&N panel filter last night and is still nothing - only parked in the garage and give it a little revs you can JUST hear the turbo :-(
Im going to fit a snorkel soon, i wonder if i will hear anything??

i have a 2012 ST and mine whistles like crazy hahaha, its loud as fk! 3" exhaust no mufflers with a chip....

Mannick before your exhaust was changed could you hear much?
Been out today and you can hear it suck inside the cab when the turbo spools up

My car is in for 1000km inspection and they gave me another Nav for the day.... Same thing with the one they gave me... QUIET

Spent today driving around trying to hear the whistle and with the windows down and radio off I can just about here something.........it would DEFINITLY get annoying if it was louder.

Just looked inside that cylinder shaped section of the airbox, no baffle plates in there. Mine is still pretty quiet so i dunno what the go is there.

Mines an 07 STX stock. Can hear a slight whistle on open rds. With a definite whistle while driving down streets specially with high fences and walls as the sound rebounds. Mannnick would you have a video?? Im thinking of 3inch and chip.

Louder turbo

I just got a full X-force turbo back exhaust. My turbo whistle is nice and loud now. I highly recommend it. I got mild steel , reason being it was half the price of stainless steel.

I just got a full X-force turbo back exhaust. My turbo whistle is nice and loud now. I highly recommend it. I got mild steel , reason being it was half the price of stainless steel.

welcome to the forum,
where did you get the system and what sort of $$ did it set you back

Those little dog legs and funny bits plastic hanging off airboxes is all to reduce noise.

Especially inside the airbox, the shapes in there are designed to cancel out as much noise as possible.

I just ordered a xforce 3" turbo back for my 2009 spain built nav... mine has a safari snorkel and k&n air filter which drives the misso mad with induction noise but I love it ;) I can hear my turbo whistling..also have you done the EGR mod and ECU fuel pump reset that might help? but like others have said ya gotta get rid of the buffles in the air box.. I will take a video and pics of before and after the exhaust goes on if anyone is interested just give me till this time next week as im still at work...
cheers

Ive checked my airbox and cant see any baffles under it or in the pipe leading into the guard. Anyone have any pics or know of a video showing where they should be. Are there none in a 2013 st? Seen a nav the other n it whisteled like crazy, made me jealous lol

Ive checked my airbox and cant see any baffles under it or in the pipe leading into the guard. Anyone have any pics or know of a video showing where they should be. Are there none in a 2013 st? Seen a nav the other n it whisteled like crazy, made me jealous lol

Just what are you looking for???

D40 are strange turbos as they dont used waste gates. Old tony or joe2006 may be able to shead more light. I find with mine 2012 d40 (same as yours) that it has a nice flutter if you take your foot off just before the turbo lets loss

Mine "whistled like crazy" and all i did was remove the stock muffler, i also had a snorkel, but im not sure if it made much difference.
It did sound any thing like that until i removed the muffler then i had everyone asking what exhaust and what else i had done to the car, hahaha nothing but a $90 muffler delete pipe

Last edited:
Mine "whistled like crazy" and all i did was remove the stock muffler, i also had a snorkel, but im not sure if it made much difference.
It did sound any thing like that until i removed the muffler then i had everyone asking what exhaust and what else i had done to the car, hahaha nothing but a $90 muffler delete pipe

Absolutely correct.

I installed the muffler delete after cutting off the rear muffler as I believe it's pretty restrictive and wasn't exactly sure what exhaust I wanted.

When you lift off the gas the noise is very loud especially in undercover carparks.

I had a heavily modified f6 typhoon before that sounded like a jet plane when it was coming onto boost. I know it will never sound like that and dont have any unrealistic expectations but a bit of noise would be nice. The nav is just a little too sedate for me, especially when I hear some of the other 4x4's

Latest posts

Back