D40 reliability issues?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutnut

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just about to drop my money on a 2010 D40 St, buying form my father. Car has been garaged and only has 30,000 on the clock. I was feeling confident but talked to a mechanic friend today who told me not to touch it. He told me they have way too many problems and that he had seen them with timing chain problems, 4wd solenoid issues, clutch issue ( not a problem because its auto), injector issues and the list went on. Told me the Isuzu's were the best at the moment with the least issues. I am hoping he may have just seen a bad one and formed his opinion on that. Can many people confirm they have had little to know issues and used their vehicles off-road? Find them reliable? I want to put some money into it with some ARB gear but feel a bit concerned.

Also id there an issue with the auto trans coolers leaking and damaging the auto?

Cheers

I have a 2013 ST in manual and it's great. If you keep the maintenance up and don't abuse it, it should be ok

Have a look through this thread, it discusses the two different cam chains used in the navaras:

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=31762

Anecdotally it looks like if you have the 'Thai' chain fitted, then you're all good. The Spanish D40s were changed to the Thai chain in Jan 2010, so there is a good chance you have the good chain.

Injectors, suction control valve and DPF are no worse than any other common rail turbo diesel euro engine.

The D40 is a fuel efficient, fast, comfortable ute, but wouldn't be my first choice for hard out 4WDing. It works great in my paddock or for getting to hunting and fishing spots, but would need a lot of modification before I would be happy to take on the real rough stuff.

Considering the price difference between the D40 and most other Jap utes, they are very good value for money.

firstly with only 30k on the clock you wont have any issues for some time.
as mentioned as long as you change your engine oil and oil filter every 5k plus replace the fuel filter regulary and don,t thrash the engine like a P plater all should be fine for some time. as far as the 4 x 4 solonoids go , this mainly happens when the transmission is not put into 4 x 4 drive often enough which causes a solonoid or two to seize up , these must be kept active like select 4 x 4 drive in and out a few times a month to keep them alive. same issues occur with Mitsubishi Pajeros . a friend has a D40 with 170k on the clock all is fine.

My own D40 auto has about 195K on the clock and it's full of problems.

The glovebox is so full I can't close it without slamming it. Every time I drag a Hilux off at the lights it becomes a tiny thing in my rear view mirror so I have to slow down to see where the idiot is. My wheels make me dizzy because they keep going around and around and around and around ... the list goes on.

Other than those things, the car's fine. I had my timing chain checked recently and we discovered that the exhaust gasket between the exhaust manifold and the turbocharger had started to disintegrate.

You'll find that the D40's disc brake rotors are soft and will need replacing at the 40-50K mark. Replace them with DBA slotted rotors if you can.

Relocate your diff, gearbox and transfer breathers to the top of the engine bay.

One of your biggest problems off-road will be chassis height. You can body lift all you want, but the D40 has a low-slung chassis. Sliders (see ScottyBobcat who makes the BEST sliders on this rock) are a great investment as are bash plates that are 4mm thick.

The auto trans cooler is an issue IF you smack the nose of the car into the ground (eg fast entry to water crossing or hitting the other bank, landing hard after jumping a sand dune etc). There are lugs in the bottom of the radiator that puncture the works and can cause the tranny fluid to mix with the coolant. I've decided that I want to keep my tranny clean (since he's such a nice tranny) so I've had a mechanic put a large external cooler in front of the air con condensor.

People have issues with idler pulleys, alternator bearings, cracked radiator fan blades, failing fluid couples, front wheel bearings ... same as for ANY car.

The Dmax isn't free of issues, neither is any other brand.

Have a look through this thread, it discusses the two different cam chains used in the navaras:

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=31762

Anecdotally it looks like if you have the 'Thai' chain fitted, then you're all good. The Spanish D40s were changed to the Thai chain in Jan 2010, so there is a good chance you have the good chain.

Injectors, suction control valve and DPF are no worse than any other common rail turbo diesel euro engine.

The D40 is a fuel efficient, fast, comfortable ute, but wouldn't be my first choice for hard out 4WDing. It works great in my paddock or for getting to hunting and fishing spots, but would need a lot of modification before I would be happy to take on the real rough stuff.

Considering the price difference between the D40 and most other Jap utes, they are very good value for money.
HaHa , I got on this Forum today and just read your reply , Thankyou , you just answered two of the issues I was worried about !!

Hi all,

Thanks for all the feedback and I pulled the trigger. Finally go the Nav in the driveway. Will take the advice and keep her well serviced and looked after. I will be using it mainly for fishing trips so no hardcore off roading but will be some back country tracks to test her on. She will also be my daily driver.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back