D40 starting Problem .... Help

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2010 d40 auto, 100k on the clock.
I'm having starting issues in the morning, it will start then stop.. after it warms up its fine.
mechanics cant tell me why, I've had it serviced and its still doing it.
has anyone else had this issue? if any one has any ideas...please let me know.
David

Last edited:
Glow plugs might not be firing, so it's worth checking that the relay (between the battery and the side wall of the car) is activating. If they're working, run some injector cleaner through. I prefer Liqui Moly Fuel System treatment.

Had the fuel filter changed recently? Could be a leaking filter seal causing it to suck air when it has been sitting for a while...

I had a the same or similar problem when i first bought the truck.
I learnt that that when you turn the car over to red's - just before ignition - wait a few seconds for the glow plug light to turn off( it then makes a click as tony suggests with the relay). I guess it'll prime the fuel pump aswell or whatever.. Then start.. but that was just me and you may already know this and it be something a little more sinister. Also does the bulb under the fuel filter get hard aftwr a few pumps in the morning? If not may be air as bods mentioned

Manning makes an excellent point.

Some owners have fitted secondary fuel filters and add lift pumps to assist in getting the fuel through to the pump. Normally the pump only operates when the engine is turning over (it's driven by a timing chain on the front of the motor).

Check to see if there is a secondary filter fitted to yours. If so, there may be a lift pump and waiting for it to prime the lines properly is important (but also means that you may have a leak in the fuel system - loose hose, overtightened (pinched) hose, or a misaligned seal in the fuel filter). This will cause starting difficulties, particularly after a lengthy period of inactivity.

Same issue

Hi Guys,
I'm having the same issue. It's a 2008 Navara. I have checked the glow plugs and they are AOK. I've checked all pipes, clamps and fuel lines etc with no issues found. I changed the fuel filter even though the existing filter was a genuine Nissan part and only 3 months old but I had heard that the newer Nissan filters can have a small seal issue but this didn't sort me out. I then fitted a non return valve on the fuel line to prevent any fuel seeping back when air was being sucked in. That seemed to work for about a week but then the damn issue kicked back with a vengance. I gave up and tried two seperate garages and neither could find any problems nor explain why it was doing it. It seems to be a classic Navara issue.............she starts first time in the mornings with no issue but then after a few seconds cuts out. After a few turns over it starts again but only after putting huge pressure on the starting motor / battery. Once she is warm she seems to run without issue and will restart without issue most times during the day.
I've looked at various forum answers and all solutions offered seem to be of no avail.
Hopefully someone out there has figured this problem out as it seems to be a common problem....
HELP PLEASE

When you changed the fuel filter, did you lube the o-ring/gasket on top with some diesel before fitting? The most common issue for letting air in is that seal getting pinched when tightening causing an air leak. If that's not the case, there has been mention here of the primer on the filter housing leaking air through the membrane and causing an air leak similar to a leakinf filter seal. I'm not sure if the primer on its own is replaceable or requires replacement of the whole filter housing, but that's what I'd be checking if you're sure it isn't the filter causing grief.

There are two types of fuel filter, for the type 1 and type 2 engines. The 2010 would have the type 2, confirmed by the priming bulb below the fuel filter. Earlier ones, not sure how early, had the hand priming pump on top of the filter.
I've had the same issue with my 2009, but have since solved the problem. The filter has the return line (the small bore tubing) entering and leaving the top of the fuel filter via a black plastic connector that is held into the top of the filter by a spring clip.
That black plastic connector has two O rings on it. If these leak, air will be drawn into the filter chamber and the fuel line will drain back into the tank over night.
These O rings don't come as part of the new fuel filter package, and in any event are too small. I changed mine to a slightly thicker version and haven't had the problem since.
If the motor starts and runs for a few seconds, it won't be glow plugs. The motor is only running on the fuel in the line from the filter to the pump, and then it will stop because it suddenly gets a gut full of air.
To prove this, when the motor stalls, open the bonnet and feel the primer bulb. If it is soft, pump it until it feels hard, and then I'm predicting the motor will immediately start and keep running.
I hope this helps.

Thanks guys. The filter is the newer type with the Primer bell underneath the filter itself. The new filter seems to have sorted the issue but I'm still wary that the issue hasn't been fully resolved. I was given another heads up from another forum where I was advised that this issue is often caused by the Primer bell.......sometimes they perish a little and can allow air in. It's a relatively easy fix so it the new filter doesn't work I'll head for a new primer bell next. Thanks again for all your helpful tips

Back