Desperate D40 problem after service

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burger11

Reaction score
Hi guys, just hoping someone on here maybe able to help me with my sons Navar D40. Its a 07 deisel that I took to my local mechanic yesterday as I had a free voucher for an oil change. Trying to be helpful I borrowed my sons car and thought Ill use the voucher and get his car done. While there I asked him to change the air filter and fuel filter.
Picked it up and drove out the driveway and knew something was wrong. The car had no power, so I drove or attempted to drive around the block and it stalled. I noticed once it started that the air intake from the inter cooler was sucking in. So I undid a hose clamp and removed the hose letting it breath and was then able to get it back around the corner to the mechanic. (who had closed).
Parked the car there and went back this morning, he worked on it for 3 hours today and cant fix it. He said he pulled some sand and sticks out of the intercooler hose??? Said it was running but still has no power once it is on the road. Ive been told to disconnect the battery and pump the brake pedal a number of times and let sit. I passed this info on to him which he did but still no good.
He is now suggesting that the car must have had a problem before I brought it into him which is total crap. It was running great.
Can anyone help me before my son and my wife try to linch me?? :eek: :eek: :eek:
Thanks in advance
Kyle

Were you on tar when you disconnected the intercooler hose ?

Just wondering how the sticks and sand got into it ?

Was the MAF sensor unplugged to change the air filter ?

Is it still unplugged ?

Hi Dave yes it was on the tar when I disconnected intake, sticks I have no idea as he hasnt owned the car long ( bought 2nd hand) sand would be from Stockton beach.
The air filter thingmy jig ? I will have to check on that. I have had it limp mode before, and it behaves exactly like that again but after disconnecting the battery and trying to dis chargebthe computer via brake pedal it wont reset. Or thats my theory anyways.
Your talking with Kyle300exc from newHilux site, incase you didnt know already

Thats Dylan's other site from memory. Haven't ventured over there to be honest.

Could be the fuel pressure sensor as I remember they had some issues around that age.

Makes sense sorta as the fuel filter was changed.

Its the fuel rail from memory.

I have a non CRD D22,so only going from memory of what others have posted on here.

There are few cluey guys on here with D40's who will pop up later this arvo.

I am assuming your still in Newy ?

One of the other Newy guys has a scan tool that he may be able to help you with, he'll be on later to.

Let us know how you go. I am off to the pub soon.

My guess would be the fuel pressure sensor is out of wack after having the filter changed. If the filter is changed at a Nissan dealer then it's normal practice to reset the fuel tables. Your problem shouldbe fixed by taking the leads off the battery and discharging all the power. With the leads off, try starting the car (obviously nothing will happen), push on the brake pedal a few times and then touch the poss and neg leads together. Wait a couple of minutes and then hook her up again. This should fix the prob??

No there is no engine check light on, the spanner comes up but I think that is just for service reminder?
I have diconnected battery pushed brake on a few times and left for an hour, reconnected still the same problem. Havent tried touching pos an neg together yet. Car is still at mechanics and I cant get to it till monday now. But I will be trying all these thanks
Not sure if maybe fuel filter is dodgey why would the intake hose collapse on itself when running?

Whatever you do don't connect the battery leads together, if there's residual power in the ECU it could fry a diode. Just use the brake pedal trick.

If the thing's just had its fuel filter changed it could be a fuel filter seal problem. You'll know really easily - pop the bonnet and give the primer bulb a few squeezes. If it's not hard within 2-3 squeezes you've got a problem. The fuel filter will have to come back out and be reseated.

As for engine codes, yep I can check those if you're in the Hunter area - PM me, I'm just cleaning some junk up tomorrow and will appreciate the diversion.

this may seem really dumb, but here i go anyway. i noticed that my air intake pipe from the intercooler caved in when i tested my snorkel for leaks. my point is if the mechanic has changed the air filter did he do something wrong there. like put the wrong filter in, or try to clean out the old one, or maybe leave a rag in the intake pipe, which he may of used to try and stop the sand you spoke of from entering the intake while changing the filter and cleaning out the air box, then forgot to take it out.
im probably way off but i would be checking all of that, because of the pipe squeezing seems to me like something is blocking the fresh air from entering the system. if you block a snorkel long enough you will get the same result you are talking about.
hope you get it sorted. goodluck.
nathan

I'm with Nathan here, if the pipe is sucking in there could only be either a blockage somewhere or a butterfly stuck closed. I can't remember what is upstream of the intercooler and haven't got a d40 anymore to have a look sorry. Have you tried removing the new air filter? Could be wrong type and blocking an inlet hole? Long shot I know. I hope you get it sorted quick and I can't wait to hear what it was.

mechanic said he pulled sand and sticks out of intercooler hose ????, how did it get past turbo,and motor should be rooted if its ingested sand
i reckon your mechanic is full of shit
how bout giving us all a hint on who this mechanic is so all us locals can avoid him
good luck with issues,theres heaps of info/experience here that should be able to help you out

The larger issue than what actually caused debris to enter the boostpipes is the troubling fact that your mechanic noticed this, and basically left things as is, without any interest whatsoever in further troubleshooting.

Why in the world your mechanic procedes with disconnecting your battery and pumping your brakepedal AFTER HE FOUND DEBRIS IN YOUR BOOSTPIPES, only god knows.

Thats like changing out your lightbulbs if the engine doesn't start, and hoping that it will help...., leaving the real cause unaddressed while the engine continues to run... Negligent behaviour.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas, IM not in the hunter region unfortunately, thanks anyway. I think the general consensis seems to be the air filter, will try that first in the morning (monday) and then try fuel filter ect. Agree I think the mechanic has done his dash with me anyways

Thanks fellas, IM not in the hunter region unfortunately, thanks anyway. I think the general consensis seems to be the air filter, will try that first in the morning (monday) and then try fuel filter ect. Agree I think the mechanic has done his dash with me anyways

the first thing i would do is get the nav out of that mechanics work shop. he may actually be trying to set you up and cause the problem or cover up his stuff up.

once you get the ute out of his workshop i would disconnect the intake pipe at the turbo and start it up. if it runs fine you will then know that the problem lies somewhere between the connection to the turbo and the point from where the air first enters(either inside the guard or the top of the snorkel) all the way to the turbo. then make sure that they are all clear and that there is no obstruction.
i dont believe the sand and sticks story given by the mechanic. how would it be possible for all of that especially sticks to go through not only the air filter, but also the turbo, then get pushed into the intercooler pipes. i just dont think that is possible. how do sticks pass through the turbo without getting minced up and stuffing the turbo in the process??
there is no way that a fuel issue would make your intercooler pipes squeeze in. that can only happen from lack of air getting to the motor, and therefor giving you no power, and ultimately stalling the engine. once the engine has stopped it would allow enough air back into the system for you to start the engine again.

im not saying that a lack of power could not be a fuel issue. if you didnt say how the intake pipe was sucking in, and how you undone it which then allowed you to drive it, i would say it may be a fuel issue.

i would also be talking to the department of fair trading to make sure you know how to cover yourself.
good luck with it.
nathan.

Thanks Nathan Ill go and spend some time with him in the morning. But yes Im not paying him to start pulling more things apart. Hope it will be 1 of the simple things that have been suggested. Will post results tomorrow.

Thanks Nathan Ill go and spend some time with him in the morning. But yes Im not paying him to start pulling more things apart. Hope it will be 1 of the simple things that have been suggested. Will post results tomorrow.

your welcome mate, im not sure if im on the right track or not, but thats where i would start anyway.
i will be keen to see what it actually is that is causing the problem, so i will keep my eye on this thread.
nathan

I had a look at the car just now, unfortunately the air filter is in the right way. Mechanic wants to pull out the intercooler and make sure there is no blockages...said it wont cost me nothing so I suppose Ill let him do that. Havent checked the Maf forgot, duck back around there now.
Started the car up while I was there, idled fine but trying to rev it up there is a 3 second delay.

I had a look at the car just now, unfortunately the air filter is in the right way. Mechanic wants to pull out the intercooler and make sure there is no blockages...said it wont cost me nothing so I suppose Ill let him do that. Havent checked the Maf forgot, duck back around there now.
Started the car up while I was there, idled fine but trying to rev it up there is a 3 second delay.

It's still in limp mode.

Latest posts

Back