driving at the speed limit

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your missing my point antz, these things are so easy to turn off and on that you don't need to make cunning little tricks to try and avoid someone seeing it however with a little training and some effort by the roads corporations this could be as easily watched over as any other road rule. If they are going to pull you over for a full road side check why not check everything instead of half the things, you'd be pissed if they only checked the log book and let the truck go with 15 bald tyres so why is this roadworthy requirement any different?

Speeding, not driving fast enough, not moving over is something that involves every vehicle on the road and not just one group of people yet people seem to quickly jump at P platers and trucks when speeding is brought up, or grey nomads in their Winnebago's if it's a slow issue, yet the truck issue can be controlled somewhat (I don't believe it will ever be stopped) if the roads corp put their mind to it.

Also treat the scum comment as a throw away comment, no different to the same sort of terminology used to describe Toyota drivers, it's not meant to offend people. I get lumbered as a road hog or an arsehole truck driver (although more commonly lately it's an arsehole tractor driver, and sometimes just arsehole if people are in a hurry), it's nothing to get offended by. If anything it's just a play on words from an old UK sitcom.

I am obviously missing the point krafty... no big deal - I often miss the point! must be because I am slowing down......retirement has taken its toll on me......damn having to retire at 40 ;)

Unfortunately like most of these things, agencies are only funded for so many things, and only have enough time to do so much. It's all about budgets. I have a fair bit of experience with that kind of thing from my previous life - back before I retired...

Anyway, if we all were happy to pay more tax, then we could be policed to death - have everything checked all the time, but of course we want to live a free and easy life...

Catch22...

Ah well......only 2 weeks and I get on the boat to Tas and life will get just that little slower again for me ;) Not many dual carriageways down there!

Not many dual carriageways down there!

No and they measure distances on the road signs in minutes not kilometers. Saw that in the paper the other day, cant remember where abouts it was but it had to do with the road not being very long but also not very good so rather than put a distance they put a time they believe it takes to drive the road safely. Sadly though I bet there is still idiots down there who consider it a challenge to get so far in less time than the signs say.

Really it doesn't matter how much we are taxed or how much or little the cops and road corps have to do there is still going to be some idiot that thinks the rules don't apply to them.

OOOhhh you're going to be a boat person in two weeks, don't let Abbott catch you he doesn't seem to like boat people lately.

No and they measure distances on the road signs in minutes not kilometers. Saw that in the paper the other day, cant remember where abouts it was but it had to do with the road not being very long but also not very good so rather than put a distance they put a time they believe it takes to drive the road safely.

I feel sorry for you Anthony. I know my D40 doesn't have a wind-up alarm clock in its dash a-la Back To The Future style. You're just going to have to see if ARB or TJM sells one, mate!

Thinking about that ... if it's illegal to SMS someone while you're driving, is it illegal to wind up your dashboard alarm clock too?

Mate, that's going to be a sore point, having to stop every time you go past a speed limit sign to wind your clock up again.

You'll have to do it on the grass because there will be trucks in all the left hands lanes, since they wont be allowed to use the right hand lane soon and I'm going to be dawdling along in the right hand lane at 85. Dammit I need a parcel shelf in the back for my white bowling hat to sit on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do 140km's a day driving and I see this shit all the time.

Why cant the police target people doing dangerous speeds as in under the limit. Not following the keep left rule etc.

But NO, if we tell people that speeding kills. We can make more money for a new chair and desk for Julia Gillard and Christinia Kineelly. < Spelling dont care as I cant stand her.

Dave.

Massive fan of the sidewinders.... I find that if i am stuck behind someone who speeds up in overtaking lanes and slows down in singles, that if your horn happens to get stuck in the 'on' position and makes loud continuous noise. The people driving slow in said single lane will speed up remarkably.

WA is to big to drive so slow.

I agree, if every one pays attention to the speed limit and what is going on around them it would make things alot easer and safer, there is a particular road/hwy that i travel every day and there is a section were the speed limit is 80kms then drops down to 60kms where there is on/off ramps to another hwy and then futhere down the road goes back up to 80 then to 100, just about every day some one sits in front of me in the 80 zone and sits at about 70 then in the 60 they sit at 70 or 80 then when it gets to the 100km zone they continues to sit at 70/80kms on a single lane road usually to dangerous to pass with out being stupid so i find my self stuck behind these wankers for may k's........ these people clearly are not paying attention to what is going on!

My understanding was that traveling more than 30km/h under the speed limit in an 80km/h zone or higher was "obstructing traffic". Never been done for it, even when crawling up over the Great Dividing Range in a 100km/h zone at 25km/h (back when I was towing our current van with the Commodore).

I believe there is a rule that everyone has to keep to the speed limit,or u can get booked for going too slow,as it makes others overtake u....sometimes in a dangerous situation..

Well I was wondering when this topic might pop up. happens to be one of the most contested arguments on many bulletin boards.
I have to travel on a road ( Majura Road Antz) every day and its an 80/90 zone just about all the way. There is always some moron holing up 20 or 30 cars doing well under the limit. If I find them I let it go for a bit but when they speed up when you try to safely overtake I happily fall back behind them and show them how bright Lightforce lights are.
I will then pull back a bit and drop a few gears and then go past them doing mach 5 again when its safe to do so. I find these drivers that try to hold up a long line of traffic are both annoying to all and dangerous to be around.
When I have had heavy loads or just need to go slow for a reason I will pull over and let the traffic pass. I am usually not going to be busting a gut to get anywhere at a set time.
Many drivers have forgotten a few basic rules
-Its not your road its everyone's so be courteous to others
-Its not only the Speed Limit but the suggested speed to travel at on that bit of road
-Keep left
-Give way to the right
-When merging the car in front goes first
-Tailgaters deserve busted screens

Not hard really

Last edited:
jacko i totally agree, every day i drive from hervey bay to maryborough, and it bugs the hell out of me and thats only a 30 min drive

The old wives tales about some speed under the limit at which you can be booked for being a traffic hazard are just that - old wives tales. Take that from an ex-cop. There are a whole bunch of complex rules around what can be taken to be dangerous driving or negligent driving - way too complex to be discussed here, and knowing how things are taken out of context on these forums, I'm not about to line myself up for a hiding.

Come antz forget the hiding I'm going for the lashing so shirt off and tell me when it hurts, no point doing it if we can't see the pain.

I have to travel on a road ( Majura Road Antz) every day and its an 80/90 zone just about all the way. There is always some moron holing up 20 or 30 cars doing well under the limit. If I find them I let it go for a bit but when they speed up when you try to safely overtake I happily fall back behind them and show them how bright Lightforce lights are.
I will then pull back a bit and drop a few gears and then go past them doing mach 5 again when its safe to do so. I find these drivers that try to hold up a long line of traffic are both annoying to all and dangerous to be around.

Whether the person in front of you is driving slowly or not and whether or not that slow speed is dangerous is of no consequence if a driver is driving to slow to annoy other road users then being a hero and shining your lights in their mirror makes you no better than them. Same thing applies to those people who get cut off and think that it's their job to get past the car that cut them off and then slow down in front of them. Just because there is no law enforcement around to see what may be illegal doesn't mean the average road user becomes the enforcer.

-Its not your road its everyone's so be courteous to others

But it's ok to try and blind a driver who isn't doing what you deem to be safe, that courtesy at a new level.

Good post Krafty. I am glad this topic is getting a good response.
We have a relative who was behind one of "Those idiots" going too slow & in frustration, pulled out to pass.
She did not see a 4 year old kid run out between 2 parked cars.
The slow driver stopped, our relative hit & killed the child. She has never got over the incident & the parents, of course, lost a child & are very bitter.
We all get frustrated with slow & inconsiderate drivers, but sometimes it is better just to take a deep breath.
I don't do it all the time (My wife will say hardly ever) but I am trying.
Cheers, Phil

We are all guilty of doing something silly or illegal on the road at some point in time but doing something equally wrong in retaliation makes us no better than the slow driver deliberately holding up traffic, or the speeding driver weaving in and out of traffic. Apart from anything if you are caught behind a slow driver and you blast the horn, flash your lights, tailgate, pass when it's not safe or many other things and a copper is watching it's you that will get the ticket not the slow driver.

I don't really give a damn what speed people want to do, it's their choice, they pay rego and have as much right to the road as I do, sure they might kill my economy a bit or I might get somewhere a little later than expected but getting agro at someone who isn't traveling at the speed I want to travel at is a pointless exercise, even flipping them the bird isn't as satisfying as it used to be. There are plenty of comments relating to a slow driver causing an accident and that it is unsafe for them to be traveling 30ks lower than the speed limit but the driver who is impatient and just wants to get ahead of them can be as much at fault the more they let it get to them. But of course the impatient drivers rage is a fault of the slow driver as well so it's once again the slow drivers fault.

Like you Phil I try to not get pissed off when things that I don't like happen, and it does seem to work more and more these days because I'm just not in that much of a rush to get anywhere but letting things slide because they aren't what you normally do isn't always easy.

Latest posts

Back