Ebay Navigation/Multimedia System

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no one size fits all system. The ebay ones which are all pretty much the same and totally generic suit some people but obviously there is some buyer beware when spending that kind of money on ebay businesses that change names as often as they change products. All the leading brands make a wide variety of head units and they all do different things.

You would be better of finding some models you like and asking if anyone has those than just asking what can do multimedia and a camera because 90% of them do that much.

That's not quite what I had in mind when I replied but ok I'll give it a go.

Multimedia for a D40.

Pioneer make head units that handle multimedia, they handle CD's, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R, MP3, MP4 and wav and they can have camera inputs. They all fit into a D40 dash and work a treat, and there is about 20 different models, the model best suited to you will vary on your exact requirements, but they all handle multimedia and fit in a D40.

Clarion do the same, Philips probably do the same, JVC definitely do the same and Alpine probably have something as well. All are reliable, all do the job and all fit your minimum requirements.

Ebay sellers also have cheaper options that do the same (as referred to by this thread), as to how trust worthy they are it's a risk like anything on ebay just don't get caught up thinking that because there is a Nissan badge on the picture that it's actually a Nissan multimedia unit, it's just a badge that can be changed to suit any make.

Cameras can be fitted to any unit that has a video input and a screen which is the majority of the market place and many of them you can actually buy with a camera included for an extra cost. Some have storage for things like GPS data and music storage, some require SD cards or USB inputs, but in general they all have the same features.

Look at company websites for specific models and differences (i.e. pinoeer,com.au), go to stores like JB/SCA/Autobarn etc too see some models in person but don't expect all models in stock and check out ebay for head units and select the one that most suits your needs.

Alternatively if you like dealing face to face go down to your local auto shop and see what they have in stock, get the model numbers, go home enter those model numbers into Google and look at the models and their specs on line and return to the shop with your money.

hope i can shed some light on the dig options unit, went off the feedback here and other forums (prado point, etc.). it's good bang for buck features wise but it's clunky and unintuitive. the software needs refinement not very user friendly. the seller responds to emails but short answers and some answers to my questions have been simply 'nope can't help with that'.

pros:
- gps (both street and offroad)
- cd, dvd, mp3 cd, mp3 usb, ipod
- reverse camera works well
- radio (signal is a little weak once leaving the city)
- bluetooth phone pairing
- packed with features
- multi tasking features (i.e. gps and radio at the same time)
- plays usb movies

cons:
- to play mp3s from each source is a different screen with different menu display, gets confusing when driving.
- the touch screen is very clunky with mis-pressing occuring often (distracting whilst driving)
- the unit looses memory to the ipod everytime you turn off your car. so everytime you start your engine you start playing the first track all over again (VERY ANNOYING).
- difficult to scroll through a playlist
- usb movies can be laggy and slow (not enough processing power/ram)
- the bloody unit has three different clocks (one for gps/nav software, one for the windows ce and another one in a separate menu). each one needs to be set separately.
- broken shortcuts on the sd card menu which lead to a dead end in the menu with no option to return (i had to modify them in order to proceed)
- getting stuck in certain menus because the "X" is in the top right corner and unable to get my fingers to press there on the touch screen. had to plug in a mouse in order to close that menu.

in hindsight i would have preferred to pay a bit more to get a more refined/unified system. while it's packed with features they aren't accessed easily/quickly enough to be comfortable for daily use. i imagine i will get used to it over time but it's frustrating when you want to do something as simple as scroll your playlist and can't do so without remembering the source (i.e. usb, ipod, bluetooth or cd/dvd) then going through 2-3 other menus first. or wanting to continue off where your last song on the ipod was playing was prior to turning off the car.

i'd go check out a decent brand at one of the automotive retailers and see how user friendly they are. remember you want to be able to do these tasks with a quick glance and a minimal thought to button inputs.

cheers and beers

ok im getting this from ebay XTRONS Android 6.2" 3G WIFI Car GPS HD DVD Player Stereo RDS Radio Nissan IPOD is it any good

Looks like a similar unit but I like that it runs Android rather than Windows CE which like the previous posters have said is really old and leads to clunky features.

Doing about 5 mins of research, it looks like you can run any Android app on it including OziExplorer with Hema maps loaded.

I have been hesitant to get a Windows CE unit but now it looks like they are bringing out Android based units I'm keen to buy one. Bit of future proofing never goes astray!

Now - if only they didn't have those horrible chrome buttons! I'll wait for a mostly black faced unit I think.....

ebay job, with nav works fast no lag, has twin camera input, and headrest screen out puts, internal hard drive (virtual disc), ipod, bluetooth. same mapping system as the clarion in my kenworth. cant fault it yet. and has a black out button so if need be you can turn the whole screen off and still listen the the tunes.

Attachments

• 140420131558.jpg
    140420131558.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 173
ebay job, with nav works fast no lag, has twin camera input, and headrest screen out puts, internal hard drive (virtual disc), ipod, bluetooth. same mapping system as the clarion in my kenworth. cant fault it yet. and has a black out button so if need be you can turn the whole screen off and still listen the the tunes.

Looks good. What's the radio reception like? Any chance of link to the ebay site?

Thanks

Will pm it to you later tonight tappet, reception is as good as any brand names, I do a lot of mountain area driving while heading to my deer hunting areas and never had any problems

And you can install the Nissan logo on start up so it looks factory, I'll put a photo up in my garage tomorrow night showing boot up screen. Also had the same unit in my prado and my two luxs, and had the previous model in my 75 series ute

Last edited:
7 inch In-dash Single Din GPS Navigation Car DVD Player with Detachable Panel From justcardvd
Screen:7 inch touch screen TFT LCD 800 * 480 pixel
operation system: WinCE 5.0
Buletooth: yes
GPS: yes
Parking Detector Interface:Yes
Power: DC 12-15v
FM/AM:Yes
Music format: MP3/WMA
Video format: Divx3.11,4.x,5.x,/Xvid /Avi /MJPEG /DVD(Vob)/VCD

(Dat)/MPG1,2,4/MP3/WMA
TV system: PAL/NTSC/SECAM
UL/CE and ROHS :Yes
External: SD card up to 8GB(Not included))
USB external: no limited
Maximum output power:4 * 45W
Languages: English, Chinese, German, Spanish, French, Latin, Italian

Latest posts

Back