EGT sensor recall

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jnrsnav

Reaction score
Just had nissan send me a text about my car being needed for a recall. Called them and was told its for the egt sensor??
Anyone know what this is about??

It's no surprise, although it's not on the list @ recall.gov.au. Been a few late model D40s that have gone back for the EGR valve.

Had one person report that it's not actually the EGR valve, but the software behind it. Causes the valve to open too much and at the wrong time - apparently the software update is applied at the same time as the EGR valve replacement is done.

Spoke to the dealer again and confirmed that its a recall for the EGT sensor.
It will be getting replaced as there is a possibility of destroying the turbo impeller due to excessive heat.

I really need some of what he's smoking :rofl2:

I don't recall having ever seen an EGT sensor in our cars. The PID for EGT sensors in the ECU doesn't respond, although they might be using proprietary codes - they have in the past. I suggested it might be the EGR because a) it's often confused with "EGT" and b) quite a few D40s have been back to Nissan to have their EGR valves replaced.

If you've got a method of querying the ECU (eg OBD BT port + Torque Android app) have a look at the response to Mode 1 PID 78 and PID 79. It should return a bunch of data that changes as the engine gets loaded up (it's a complex, special pair of PIDs that define the sensor type and two bytes that represent the temperature calculated in the normal fashion of 256*A+B-40 to give it a range of -40C to 6513C.

He told me to try and avoid towing and loading up the motor to much to keep temps down, I will just see what gets done when I take it in. Will keep all posted.

The EGT Sensor does fail on these models (2012 ST Spanish Built), mine has already failed and been replaced. when it goes, motor thinks its over heating - puts car into limp mode. just got nissan to look into weather mine needs replacing again

My 2011 spanish D40 threw a code (torque app said it was EGR) a couple of months ago...straight into Nissan and replaced under warranty no questions...also have another niggling problem with what sounds like the fan belt squeaking when it is cold...?????

I really need some of what he's smoking

I don't recall having ever seen an EGT sensor in our cars. The PID for EGT sensors in the ECU doesn't respond, although they might be using proprietary codes - they have in the past. I suggested it might be the EGR because a) it's often confused with "EGT" and b) quite a few D40s have been back to Nissan to have their EGR valves replaced.

If you've got a method of querying the ECU (eg OBD BT port + Torque Android app) have a look at the response to Mode 1 PID 78 and PID 79. It should return a bunch of data that changes as the engine gets loaded up (it's a complex, special pair of PIDs that define the sensor type and two bytes that represent the temperature calculated in the normal fashion of 256*A+B-40 to give it a range of -40C to 6513C.

These vehicles definitely do have 3 EGT sensors. a lot of late model YD engines do. Its the EGT sensor closest to the turbocharger that is failing and has been recalled. This has been call EGR sensor by a lot of people on the forum. Maybe people will believe me now!!

These vehicles definitely do have 3 EGT sensors. a lot of late model YD engines do. Its the EGT sensor closest to the turbocharger that is failing and has been recalled. This has been call EGR sensor by a lot of people on the forum. Maybe people will believe me now!!

I think it's great that they've put one on the car, about time - it means anyone with Torque (Android app) can check their EGTs without going and dropping in an aftermarket unit (and being ripped off by several hundred bucks for the privilege).

Come on dave your missing out on all the fun by owning a dmax lol, and old tony I,m not very tech savvy so would a scan gauge give the egt read out because my phone is only a shitter cheers

The ScanGauge would have to know the PID for the EGT. If it doesn't and you can select a custom PID, try Mode 01, PID 78 and PID 79.

Yeh just received recall notice in the mail today! Thinking I better remove egr plate just in case. The pricks might void warranty if they see it. I've got a 2012 Spanish st for what it's worth. Says egt sensor recall. See what they have to say for them selves tomorrow.

I think the most any of us have had is 3, maybe 4, I only remember taking mine in for 2 and neither effected me.

Like any big company the have used this sensor which would probably be a component mass produced by a electronic manufacturer for a price with little or no testing as to it's long term durability. That could happen any car maker it doesn't mean the d40 is a crap box as suggested previously.

Just got my recall letter today.

Should I remove the EGR blocking plate before i take it in for the service?

I believe this only affects Spanish built D40s. Mines a 2012 model.

same i received letter today as well.. not sure if i still have my old EGR gasket -.-;;
but still wondering if i should remove the plate before i take it in..
and here is the copy of the letter if anyone wondered what it said on letter.

nissan_zpsc4b06682.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Latest posts

Back