Electric brake controller location?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with the redarc units is that they are not proportional. They are either "on" or "off", they don't vary the power to the brakes, depending on the deceleration force. They are rarely used among caravaners for that very reason.

Came across this post when looking for a location to install my P3 - this is where I ended up installing it in a Series 4 D40 Auto.

Way easier than I thought it would be to install here and is clear of my knee just the way I wanted it.

More pics available for anyone giving it a crack - just ask if needed.

IMO That's no good, simply because from what i can see you have no way of using the manual braking slide lever.

The problem with the redarc units is that they are not proportional. They are either "on" or "off", they don't vary the power to the brakes, depending on the deceleration force. They are rarely used among caravaners for that very reason.

+1 on this. I had a Redarc unit that I paid $600 to have installed and there was absolutely NO way it was proportional at all. I hated it.

I insisted on a Tekonsha unit in my Navara when I bought it, and they fitted a proportional unit called a "Voyager". It's only proportional on level ground - it doesn't automatically adjust for slopes, so when you go down a hill it slams on the brakes hard even if you just hover your foot on the brake pedal and when you go up a hill it has no clue what a brake is.

The Tekonsha Prodigy P3 that I have now is perfect. Auto adjusts for different terrain, has boost settings that allows me to just press a button to account for different road conditions (adjusting the max braking power) and doesn't make me second-guess what my van is going to do.

Sorry to fans of the Redarc controller - but I've had one and it just didn't do what I needed it to do. It's possible that the installer (an auto electrician) didn't hook it up right - but I somehow doubt that.

IMO That's no good, simply because from what i can see you have no way of using the manual braking slide lever.

It might look like that... but everything works perfectly in this location.

The manual slide lever is easily accessible and operated in this position. You can also easily read the display whilst dialling up the brakes using the manual control (during testing, etc) or changing the settings whilst on the move (no steering wheel to look around…).

Gear lever is well clear when in go fast mode too.

+2 on the Tekonsha P3. Had a Redarc unit (non-proportional with dial for brake control) in the past and they have nothing on the Tekonsha P3 proportional controllers The P3 boost control functions work a treat for different conditions too (i.e. different load when the van is fully loaded for a trip or coming home empty and when towed on dirt, bitumen, wet roads, etc. – they just have better tweaking available to suit the driving conditions.)

I have the red arc in dash unit, sure it looks great but as said its function is quite limited. I'll see how it goes on the big trip and if not happy I'll be forced to consider the less aesthetically appealing p3 which I was originally going to buy but couldn't find anywhere I would be happy looking at it.

I put my brake switch under ignition and uhf on passenger side under glove box just sitting on the upholstery. No mounting holes needed and I mounted hand piece in spare switch plug so I only need to replace the plug to cover the spare switch hole.

Attachments

• Icom 440 N.jpg
    Icom 440 N.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Redarc Electric Brake System.jpg
    Redarc Electric Brake System.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 124

Latest posts

Back