Electric traction control

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt75

Reaction score
Hi I have a 1212 Nissan navara 4 by 4 st diesel and have been stuck twice now where the front right tyre and back left tyre come of the ground. I thought the electric traction control was supposed to lock the brakes on these tyres to give traction to the tyres on the ground has anyone had this problem ???

The ST doesnt have traction control it has STABILITY control or as Nissan call it VDC (vehicle dynamic control) which is not active when when in low range.
It is a bit different to the "traction control" system to say what the 200 series landcruiser uses

That's never happened to me, I just can't balance that bloody well myself, let alone do it with a car - bloody good job!

Try pulling the handbrake on a little - although strictly speaking if you're doing that a lot, lockers are recommended! I think the traction control isn't designed to handle that sort of difficulty. We drove an STX-550 at the 2011 Navara Muster and it behaved poorly with the traction control things turned on or off - definitely not performing as we expected it to.

Really serious traction requires something more than electronic sensors - good old lockers to make sure nothing gets loose. They also save the front diff - we've had a few reports of people lifting a front wheel, having it spin (as it would with an open diff) and then having that wheel touch the ground, get grip and transfer its momentum back in through the drive train which obligingly came apart in a hurry. One cracked diff, one broke an axle, another stripped the spider gears in the CV.

That doesn't happen with modest throttle application but sometimes you need some juice, so if you're doing it a lot, there's a new item for your shopping list!

In the on line specs under compare the d40 st comes with electric traction control, stability control, abs, electronic brake distribution. This was the reason they got rid of the LSD on the old 4 cylinder stx mine does not seem to work at all does any one no if there's works

Imm on the Nissan site under vehicles , navara , then compare under sub title safety and security there all listed there abs etc and so on . I was comparing the stx and st I hope this helps I'm going to have to bring it up at my next service unless I can find out more

Ok this is what may be getting you confused, in the current NISSAN printed Brochure i have in my hand it states that the ST has "VDC WITH ACTIVE BRAKE LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL (ABLS),VDC, ALSO KNOWN AS ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL, COMPARES THE INTENTION OF THE DRIVER WITH THE CURRENT BEHAVIOUR OF THE VEHICLE AND SELECTIVELY BRAKES INDIVIDUAL WHEELS AND CONTROLS ENGINE POWER TO HELP KEEP THE CAR ON ITS INTENDED PATH AND PREVENT ROLL OVER"

i just looked through the entire brochure and every one of the items listed in the specs pages at the back and KNOW WHERE does it even mention "TRACTION CONTROL" it does mention mechanical limited slip differentials and which model has been fitted with a LSD.

I did just have a look at the link you provide and it does have a tick next to traction control on that page BUT i still think they are NOT talking about the style of traction control system we as 4x4 drivers talk about they are just saying that it has an electronic traction aid in the way of VDC and ABLS which is active under normal driving conditions and not when in 4LOW, like today it was pissing down and as i turned at an intersection and put my foot down the traction control or VDC kicked in and limited the engines power to stop me wheel spinning and that is all i think NISSAN mean by ticking that box on the online site.

If you do get Nissan to admit there is a fault then let me know!! for gods sake i would LOVE proper Traction control while in 4LOW thats for sure.

--------------

i have had mine in low and the vdc turns off but when my ute started spinnig wheels in low through some mud the braking system was active and it got me through the skid light also appeared on the dash aswell. I would be very dissapointed if this car didn't have traction control because that was the only reason i bought it

Yeah i have had that happen as well but only at slow speed and on relatively smooth ground, BUT when you really jam up opposite wheels on a hump or something it no longer does it.
a mate of mine has a 200 cruiser and that thing will really fight hard to activate the brake onto the wheel that is spinning no matter what terrain its on.
As i said i believe our utes only have the ABLS system which is a form of traction control but not as we would like.

here is a photo i took of the Nissan catalogue with all the specs listed in the back on a three page fold out section, and this is the closest thing i could see in any of the columns

Like i said i think we are mistaking the ABLS for traction control where in reality it is just an ELECTRIC BRAKE version of a LIMITED SLIP DIFF which in reallity behaves just like a limo AT TIMES and when it does the little lights flash on the dash.

Last edited:
yeah read that on the nissan website, I will give this thing a workout on this coming weekend and just see how good it really does work.

check out this video of some of the trip i did with the 4x4earth forum members to YALWAL last weekend.
you will have to excuse the video it is a little boring but all i can say it was nice of the guy who filmed it to post it up.
Anyway at the 5min mark you will see my white D40 get the back left hand wheel in the air, BUT what you dont see is the front Left is pushed hard up and the Right front is almost in the air, so i get "cross locked" the rear left is spinning and the front right is spinning and i was going NO WHERE until i reverse turn the wheel in the other direction allowing the front to level out and pull me forward the rear ABLS did NOTHING. if you keep watching you will see a GU after me have the same trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R0FvpW27TE

---------------------------------------------

I haven't watched the vid yet, but I went to the powerlines with D40Daveo last week. He was in positions where he lost traction and his lifted wheels were just spinning, only slowly as he wasn't flogging his D40. Normally a person would back off and reverse and have another go. But Daveo kept at it and usually about 5seconds of stand still the traction control system (not sure of proper D40 terminology) would kick in and apply pressure to the spinning wheel, you could hear brakes on the rotor, and force drive to the wheels on the ground and he just crawled out of where he was potentially stuck. Having not spent much time with D40s I was amazed at how well it works!! Almost like a slow motion Lokka.

Just read the thread, seems funny it's listed in brochures but doesn't have it!?! What the?

As I just wrote above, for those who said theirs doesn't perform or performs poorly, try sticking at it like D40Daveo did. It took nearly 5 seconds to kick in. My video maker is playing up on the computer, so I can't post the vids yet, but I'd love to show u what I mean. Not sure what make his D40 is. ST? ST-X?

If by chance it doesn't have the traction control system you can try a different method which works well. As your lifted wheels are turning and your sitting stationary you keep pressure on the accelerator and with your left foot apply pressure on the brake pedal. Putting pressure on the spinning wheel as if it was on the ground with traction, sending power through to the wheel on the ground. I've seen it in action and works really well.

Hello again. Just checked my vids. His is a ST, and took about 3-4 seconds to apply.

I now what you are saying and yes it is correct and mine will do that to but it's the ABLS which as far as i can tell is only on the rear wheels, a true traction control system is on all four wheels.

Last edited:
I'm not a D40 owner, so I don't wanna say too much about what I don't know too much about. But his was definitely working on the front too.

Latest posts

Back