Electric traction control

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a D40 owner, so I don't wanna say too much about what I don't know too much about. But his was definitely working on the front too.

ok i am probably wrong, as i often am and if so i will have to eat my words.

I just pulled up next to the railway tracks not far from my house on the way home and used an embankment to flex the car so as the rear wheel was lifting off the ground, at first i left it only in two wheel drive and as you say after allowing the wheel in the air to spin the ABLS (active brake LIMITED SLIP) did try to start working and after leaving the wheel spinning gently for a while with the light flicking on the dash and the sound of the brake kicking in i could feel it trying to help me but was not able to fully make the ute move until i stopped and selected high and on the second attempt low.
I didnt feel the front do anything like what the rear was doing.
I also noticed that if i had the revs up when the wheel started to spin the ABLS would not activate until i stopped and gently let the wheel spin, BUT once the ABLS was active i could steadily build the revs and the ute would then drive out.
Like you say if it had not been for that i would not of been able to and would of been forced to reverse.
When i have had both FRONT and REAR teetering in the air the ABLS has not really helped any where near as well as it does when its just the rear wheel in the air and the front has reasonable traction.

I will take another run in a minute with a mate and try and see if we can tell what the front is doing and weather or not he can physically tell that the front wheel is obviously having brake applied by the ECU.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity i just spoke with Nissan and they say that the ABLS is only in the rear.
They also mentioned that it is the only form of "traction control" the ST has and that is why it may be listed as such on the online "comparison" section and WHY they DONT list it in the official brochure (as seen in my pic above) as it is NOT a true 4x4 TRACTION CONTROL system in the sense of the word.
As i said before the 200 cruiser and now thew NEW patrol have a full 4 wheel traction control.

Yeh wow that's weird as fark. Il work at getting the movie maker working so I can post up the vids. Maybe find D40daveo on here and see what he has. He said his only mod is the 2inch lift. But yeh, def worked in the front, the vids show it all.

Yeh wow that's weird as fark. Il work at getting the movie maker working so I can post up the vids. Maybe find D40daveo on here and see what he has. He said his only mod is the 2inch lift. But yeh, def worked in the front, the vids show it all.

I will be keen to see it, Can you see in the video the wheel in that is in the air locking up or something??
because the only thing i can think of is that it is the rear ABLS that is kicking in and moving the car forward making it look like both the front and rear were being affected by ABLS.

But as i said before i will be happy if i am wrong,
only to make it work you need to keep the wheel spinning for a while to activate the ABLS and i dont like having the front wheel in the air and being on the go peddle then all of a sudden the car moves forward and grabs traction, Thats how D40's explode front diffs.

In the process of trying to sort my shit out now. There wasnt any jerky motions, nothing that would cause broken parts. It was all smooth. There is one vid, going up a cut out in the hill. It doesnt matter if you have a locked diff in the rear, the ONLY way up is with a locked front. Ive tried many many times in my D22, and the only time I made it was when I got my front lokka. Ive seen very few people make it up there, and Davo made it up, you can see (or will see(fingers crossed) his front spinning and then the other wheel slowly take hold and he got up. We were all like WOW!! soo wait......

if its only in the rear then clearly yours wasn't doing that either nath, This bullshit set up is very missleading should of bought a D-max lol

Something is wrong with the vids I think. Its like they are corrupt. Trying another approach. What movie maker does everyone here use?

Maybe D40Daveo was using the braking method for fronts and the ABLS worked the rear? We did talk about the method, but I dont know if he applied it,

if its only in the rear then clearly yours wasn't doing that either nath, This bullshit set up is very missleading should of bought a D-max lol

yeah mate it probably didnt work there because i didnt really let it sit there spinning long enough for it to kick in because the front left was pushing into the embankment and the right front was in the pot whole spinning, and i didnt want it to come down onto that wheel while i was on the gas trying to get the ABLS to work, as i said before i think doing that is a recipe for breakages.

Last edited:
I have tried frount tyre off the ground and back in low 4 and nothing happened at all. I agree with nathan 22 about the ABLS but this does not work on mine in low 4. That is the reason they dont have a lsd in them any more. In the brochure does the base model have a LSD. if this is the case it is only a two wheel drive in low 4 not a real 4 by 4 ???

Last edited:
Unfortunately Matt no stock 4wd is a "real 4 by 4" until it has lockers,(except for the Rubicon which has e-lockers from factory) its not just the D40 i mean have a look in the video i posted a link for and you will see the GU patrol doing exactly as you describe is happening with the D40 and the GU is renown for its legendary LSD

big zetor ask's the dealer "does it have traction control" dearler said yes! big zetor ask's "does it work offroad in low range and high range" dealer said yes, big zetor now feel's like a goof for believing this concrete cowboy

So how would a locker go in the rear with this shit set up would it interfere with it while both wheels are spinning.

big zetor ask's the dealer "does it have traction control" dearler said yes! big zetor ask's "does it work offroad in low range and high range" dealer said yes, big zetor now feel's like a goof for believing this concrete cowboy

well technically it does have a "form" of traction control ,,,,,,,,,,,,, JUST not what we imagine it should be like for a 4wd

So how would a locker go in the rear with this shit set up would it interfere with it while both wheels are spinning.

I dont think it would. from what i can gather the ABLS works off of the ABS sensors that are located on each wheel and as soon as it detects the rear wheels are not doing roughly the same thing or revolutions, eg one totally stopped it starts to apply a little braking force to the wheel that is spinning.
SO if both wheels are spinning at the same time as they would be when a locker is activated there would be no reason for the ABS or the ECU to assume it needs to do anything so it would remain dormant so to speak.

If that's the case why does end the ABLS work in low 4 like a LSD ? And why are some people saying that they think that it has electric traction control

guess its an E locker now then! I know it wont be an air locker after all the dramas i had with my old D40 ( air leaks, adjusting preload after every use) it was a pain.

I was sure that mine had it because when i towed a tandem with 3 quads into granville harbour on tassie's west coast it felt like it was really working especially through the steering wheel, But i will test it this weekend just to satisfy my couriuosity.

If that's the case why does end the ABLS work in low 4 like a LSD ? And why are some people saying that they think that it has electric traction control

do you mean why doesnt it work in 4 low??

the answer is--- the ABLS works no matter what mode you are in 2H, 4H, and 4LOW it just requires the REAR wheels to spin at different revolutions for a period of time.
and it is ELECTRICALLY controlled via the ABS sensors that then control the BRAKE DISTRIBUTION, if you look under the car at the diff you will see there is NO wires coming directly out of the DIFF centre or housing like there would be if it were an E-LOCKER for eg

I ment that my ABLS won't work in low 4 but if I'm towing my tool trailer in the wet I can feel it come on and the dash lights up sounds like mine has a fault then. Be interested to see if anyone is out this weekend to see what happens with there navara

I ment that my ABLS won't work in low 4 but if I'm towing my tool trailer in the wet I can feel it come on and the dash lights up sounds like mine has a fault then. Be interested to see if anyone is out this weekend to see what happens with there navara

One more try before i go.

Matt try getting the ute in a position where the rear wheel is close to or is in the air, then gently let that wheel spin for a good few seconds then gently apply more go peddle and see if the little yellow diagram flashes up on the left side of the dash display, you may also hear the sound of the ABS system working.

if you have tried that a few times with different applications of the throttle and leaving the wheels spinning for up to 10 sec and you dont get the light flicking on then yes you probably DO have a problem with your ABLS

at least i'm not the only one that was fooled by nissan and there so called traction control, vdc, abls, crap

Latest posts

Back