Engine stalling after blanking EGR

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodge

Reaction score
Fit the blanking plate in this morning. Turned the car on, sounded fine. Took it for a drive, instantly noticed smoother power at lower revs than usual. In fact it was a whole different car to me. More responsive and, a bit gruntier.

But... 5 minutes later, i'm sitting at the lights, and engine just shuts down. It didn't choke or struggle as if to stall, it simply just turned off, it's as if i turned the key (which i didnt).

Turned it back on, sounded normal, kept driving all the power is there as per usual... 5 minutes later again, i'm in 2nd gear, low speed and the engine just conked out, this time, in a stalling/choking way... Its as if i put it into a gear too high for the speed and just stalled.

Returned home, checked for leaks, visually, and by listening to it. Even used soapy water. No leaks. So i took plate out, re-fit the gasket, went for a drive... All good, but obviously this time without the extra juice the blanking plate gave me...

Put the plate back in, for round #2, went for a drive, not long after, same story conks out at the lights when idling.

Rinse and repeat, gasket back in, car is all good again... So I decided to try one more time and re-installed the plate, double-checked that everything is tight, and no leaks. This time the car is fine... Drove it for about an hour in various speeds and gears and no issue. :confused2:

I searched the forum for simlar cases and found none. As far as i understand by blanking at that poing of the EGR close to the EGR cooling tube, it is not meant to affect anything else. Especially the running of the engine...

Fingers crossed the car keeps going like it is now. But why was that happening? :confused2:

Picture below with the red arrow shows exactly wherei blanked it out, to prove i didn't incorrectly fit it in the wrong spot. I absolutely touched nothing else during the process and have never had any such issues with the car before.

I haven't had this happen but I blanked it on the other side, better to do it as close to the turbo as possible

Same as above, I have had mine in since about 7000km, now up to about 35000 and no issues. I blanked it off at the cooler itself on both ends

I read somewhere that on the later model motors the Nissan ECU now checks for gas flow along the EGR pipe and if it doesn't get any then it does something (not sure what... goes into limp mode, shuts down, throws an error code... not sure).

Evidently the cure if your ute is one with that type of ECU is to drill a 10mm hole in the middle of the blanking plate.

That way you still block most of the exhaust gas but enough gets through to fool the modified ECU Nissan fitted to stop us blocking the EGR.

I read somewhere that on the later model motors the Nissan ECU now checks for gas flow along the EGR pipe and if it doesn't get any then it does something (not sure what... goes into limp mode, shuts down, throws an error code... not sure).

Evidently the cure if your ute is one with that type of ECU is to drill a 10mm hole in the middle of the blanking plate.

That way you still block most of the exhaust gas but enough gets through to fool the modified ECU Nissan fitted to stop us blocking the EGR.

This is what mate of mine suggested too, or reset the ECU after blanking the plate. The thing is, the car works perfectly now, after 3rd time installing the blanking plate, without doing any of those.
If it were something that ECU detects, it would surely bring up a light of some sort, engine light? But i got none of those.

try it around this spot itz the second closest spot to the turbo

Attachments

• IMAG0365.jpg
    IMAG0365.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 262
Thanks for the reply folks. Well, the cars been more than 24 hours and i've driven everywhere and she runs sweet as, no stalls or anything. Whatever caused it is now gone.

So as some of you have mentioned, the closer to the turbo you block it, the better it is ?

Stops the shit from blocking the pipe. Closest to the turbo will just push it out the exhaust.

Do you drive that D22, the engine bay is so clean. Wanna detail my Nav. Haha.

Hi guys, I'm new here but was reading a service manual for the d22 and it was refering to:
"EGR Volume Control Valve Closed Position Learning Value Clear:
EGR volume control valve closed position learning value should be cleared under the following cases.
EGR volume control valve is removed.
• EGR volume control valve is replaced.
OPERATION PROCEDURE........"

Does this procedure need to be completed when blocking the egr with blanking plate?

No. The d22 doesn't have anything that tells the ecu if the egr is getting into the motor or not, just that the valve is working. That would only be if the egr valve failed or got stuck for some reason. Apparently newer d40s need a hole in the plate as the ecu will check egr flow as well as valve operation

The drill the hole view was mentioned as a suggestion for the D40 late model but it is not necessary for it either. Plenty of cases of it working fine as well.

Did you fiddle around with the swirl valve and EGR butterfly valves? You might have been starving the engine of air if you didn't.

with the newer model navs they need a 2mm hole drilled in the center just enough exhaust gas will get through to register to the ecu dramas fixed

Latest posts

Back