Fan resistor/fan problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegas

Reaction score
Hi guys,
First post here, but not my first visit- thanks for the help so far!

I've got an issue with the resistor/fan in my 2008 Japan built D22 (2.5L diesel).

I've burnt out two resistors ($80 each), replaced the fan (which I'd assumed was causing the issue) with one from a wreckers ($80), then when that still burnt them out (you could see the solder starting to burn) I asked an auto electrician who said the only thing it could be was the fan, and to buy a brand new one ($460). Done that, installed it today- same thing!!!

A mate of mine checked the original fan out and said it was pulling 12amps, and that's "probably" about what it should pull.

Do any of you guys know how many amps a fully functional one pulls?

And has anyone else had the problem persist after replacing resistors?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum, vegas.

I've looked through the manual and can't find it. Sounds a bit odd that replacing the motor doesn't resolve the problem. What if you have the motor disconnected and turn on the switch?

Could the switch be shorting to earth? Might be worth looking at that. If there's illumination, there's a chassis connection in it.

Seems it was an airflow issue. The resistor was getting warm air from the intake (as compared to ambient) and when we checked the passenger side vent cover there was an instant influx of air and the resistor was getting cooler air straight away.

The resistor was around 200°C prior, and is noticeably lower now (but we didn't actually put the temp gun back on it).

For anyone interested, the fan seems to pull 11-12 amps.

Problem solved, I now have all fans speeds again- HAPPY DAYS!

Back