fce in Dogs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagMan

Reaction score
Hi All

As there are quite a few dog owners on here, I thought this may be of interest.

Last Thursday night one of my Huskies screamed - a blood curdling sound.we raced outside to find she was paralyzed in the back legs.

Straight away we thought - snake bite. Load her into the car and straight to an after hours vet.

Turns out she has FCE (fibrocartilaginous embolism) - kind of like a stroke.

So rare according to our regular vet he needed to get the text books out.

Now we are looking for an improvement in the next 2 weeks - or a decision needs to be made.....

has anybody got any experience with this???

Thats terrible news. Haven't had experience with that and by the sounds of it i hope it stays that way.

Hope for you and the dog there is some improvement. Horrible decision to have to make.

Not with that particular problem but we had a few issues with snake bites on cattle last summer (lost 2 in a week) and it was recommended to us to buy a product I can't remember the name of right now but it's a ground spike that sends vibrations through the ground and repels snakes. At the time it was too late for us but they are on the consideration list for this summer. They are meant for farm paddocks which would mean they'd be good for house blocks too they might just go further than the boundaries.

Doesn't really help you right now but it might help in the future.

That's terrible news mate, I hope it pulls through.

My last dog had a stroke which ended up being the end of her, she lost all movement in her legs and could barely keep her head up. It was sad to see her go like that :(

Terrible news mate but there is hope, my mates 7 year old Shepard had exactly the same thing. They told my mate to put him down but he refused, he never gave up... I thought he was cruel but within 2 weeks the dog was hobbling around ,2 months later he is fine. I have 2 huskies, the bond you have is unbelievable.... Have faith hopefully she will pull through!

Not good mate.

Hope your best friend comes good.

Our Whippet got Leukemia a few years back, spent some money trying to get her to pull through.

She didn't make it though. Id be upset if anything happened to our cats.

Thanks for the good wishes lads.

Got her up and about today - rear right leg is totally useless.
Trying to get her to balance on the other rear leg so she can drink and eat better.
The dog is only 6 years old so we are thinking if the paralyzed leg does not come good, but she can get around on three legs than she has a lot of life left.(would need to amputate the leg)

But it is still early days.

Good to hear she is up and about. Keep her moving and the leg might come good with a bit of work. Dogs are incredibly adaptable - having only three legs will not stop her from living a great life.

What's her name?

She is doing amazingly well already mate.... It ay sound strange but massage will help heaps, we used one on my mates shepard, it help the blood flow . She is a husky....you know she isn't going to sit still if she doesnt have too. Do you have a pic of her?

here is a pic. Her name is PEBBLES (as in the flintstones) We also have a male husky called BAM BAM

She must be in a bit of pain still - i just went to move her and ended up with a nice hole thru the middle of my hand. First time she has had a go at anyone.Lesson learned

Attachments

• IMG_1125.JPG
    IMG_1125.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 40
Hopefully things will work mate give her time! I just clicked on your work link.... Just realized your company tagged all our equipment at my old job.... Coastal energy, we may have met!

It's grown too big mate, they are opening another yard in Brisbane.... We started with 8 blokes in the beginning. When Pebbles is 100% send us a message, every now an then we get a whole lot of huskies down the beach for a few hours.... They love their own tribe!

Nope nothing good to report. She still can not move her rear right leg and tail.

Now she will not drink so is getting dehydrated. Bloody hard to get a big dog to dring when they don't want to.

Big decision to make tomorrow.

Sorry to hear that mate, I was discussing this scenario with my wife the other night and what we would decide to do. Difficult choice, hope you wake up tomorrow and she is ripping the clothes of the line!

Latest posts

Back