For Krankin. Daewoo might build the Dunnydore.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dave

Motors running: Qantas-style dispute revs up in Holden

Read more: Motors running: Qantas-style dispute revs up in Holden | News.com.au

•Holden boss can't confirm how long Commodore staying
• Says union comments about job losses "damaging"
• Both want government action to keep local industry viable

FIRST it was the Flying Kangaroo, and now car-making giant Holden has become the second iconic Australian brand at the centre of a looming industrial showdown.

Less than a week after the Qantas saga came to head and as New South Wales police also prepare for industrial action, unions claim Holden could shed 350 jobs early next year if it moves design work for its flagship Commodore cars overseas.

Although Holden, which has made Australian-engineered cars since 1978, denies the claims, managing director Mike Devereux could not confirm how long the Commodore would continue to be designed and manufactured locally.

“What I can tell you specifically is that it is difficult today to do things in Australia, to continue to manufacture things in Australia with the economic and political climate that we've got,” Mr Devereux said on ABC Radio.

"We ... fight every single day for the right to continue to do the three things that we do here, which is one of only 13 countries that does this stuff, and that's to design, engineer and build cars.

"That's what we're working hard to do."

Earlier today the Association of Professional Engineers, Scientists and Managers Australia (APESMA) said Holden had advised it was “highly likely” the Commodore would be engineered and designed overseas after 2014.

The question of jobs heading overseas is also central to the Qantas dispute that last weekend saw management ground the entire fleet and forced an intervention by the Federal Government.

Mr Devereax confirmed Holden has had discussions with the union about possible options in the future, but had not yet made any decisions.

In a sign of escalating tensions between the parties he branded the union’s comments not only “strains of half-truths” but also damaging.

“It's illogical if the union's goal is to secure the bright future of jobs and investment in this country,” he said. “What we're seeing today… is the opposite of helpful.

“The back half of this decade ... is frankly anybody's guess. As to what it is Australian customers are going to want to drive in 2016, 2017, that's what we're trying to plan right now.”

The union’s chief executive Chris Walton today said Holden should be able to confirm the future of the Commodore because of the planning time needed for manufacturing the car.

“They would have to make decisions in the next few months,” Mr Walton said. “What they're trying to, unfortunately, suggest to the community is you don't have to worry about that until 2014, when in fact we need to worry about it now.”

He said that because of the lead time in car design, job losses could start early next year.

“We hope Holden will come out and confirm that they will engineer and design the post-2014 model in Australia. That would be the best outcome,” Mr Walton said.

One thing the union and Holden do agree on is the need for the Federal Government to take action.

“The Australian Government has historically co-invested in vehicle companies and we support that and we suggest that should tie that money to a commitment from Holden to keep the engineering and design in Australia post-2014,” Mr Walton said.

Holden’s Devereux said the company would also welcome co-investment from the Government.

“Australia needs to fight for its right to make things like automobiles in this country,” he said.

Monash University employment relations professor Greg Bamber said there was a “great deal of international sharing of development costs and skills” in the car industry and although it was not yet inevitable the jobs would move offshore it was an increasingly likely reality.

“What we’re probably not going to see in the future is a car that is completely designed only in one location because these big international car manufacturing companies have design teams all over the world,” Professor Bamber said.

But he said it was too soon to predict another Qantas-style confrontation.

The latest unrest comes as NSW Police say they'll stop issuing minor fines and will work to rule under immediate action called for by their union after a decision to slash their injury compensation scheme.

The NSW Police Association today called on officers to use their discretion when issuing on the spot fines and work in “strict accordance with police guidelines” for non-urgent matters.

Association President Scott Weber said police were disgusted by the overhaul of the death and disability scheme, which will scrap the generous payout currently made to injured officers.

It doesn't mention anything about Daewoo, but I thought Krankin would bite.

Like Holden needed the Carbon tax to f*&k up their way of running things, they started doing it themselves years ago.

True that, but it wouldn't be helping.

Holden just doesn't listen to what people want.

"Whats that, you want a heavy car that heavy on fuel"

"Perfect, we have the car for you" "We'll stick a bigger V8 in it"

Atleast Ford has found a diesel.

Holden should just twin turbo the V6, Saab uses the same block and has turbo'd there donk.

Parts have already been made, Ie stronger rods, piston's etc.

A V6 off boost will be good on fuel, unlike a 6L V8.

But Holden did their research and they reckoned it lead them to believe Aussies really did want V8's in their 4 door sedans and extremely ugly wagons with the boot space of an MG. Can't blame them for that if they did their research :big_smile:

I know you all want a bite, but sadly car manufacturing in this country is doomed and has been for a long time...both Holden and Ford.

The future for Holden & Ford is nothing like it is now.
fords plans are/were to stop the oz models alltogether and Ford worlwide will be manufacturing just a few diff models that will be shared all over the world and plants to cater w/wide sales.
There will be no more ford (and prolly holden the same) vehicles made just for us like they are now,, these Co's are not run by us anymore but are part of a world wide plan..

just as an eg: would Nissan still make the D22 or D40 if it were just for aussie sales.

Anyways...LONG LIVE V8's........ (in whichever form)

Sounds like a another round of GMC(who own holden) trying to screw money out of our pockets. These twats need to lift their game and learn how to build the cars that people really want. Seems the Japs have been managing it for a few decades when these twats have repeatedly put their hands out.

Guys,

Your missing something here. Holden now make the Cruze (Little Commo) in Aus, which I think is awesome, in a Diesel too. This will prove to be the new Aussie sedan with Fuel consumption/emmisions requirements ahead.

In saying that, it would be damn hard to run a manufacturing business in Aus now days with the temptation of low cost and high quality off shore manufacturing. Additionally Gillard and the Labor party's determination to Unionise and increase costs through the endless red tape and the likes of Carbon Tax and the like must leve these manufacturers building cars in Australia wondering why?

As for my Quality comment. I had my thai built D22 in at Von Bibra Nissan for some warranty repairs last Wednesday and while I waited i wandered around the yard looking at the Nissans and Great Walls. Sadly, the Great walls of China appeared to be of better fit and finish than the thai Nissans. Certainly the paint finish was better. Another thing Aus manufacturers are up against.

Regards
Greg

Yes, and ford have the diesel terri now, but the terri doesnt picture in "ford usa's" long term plans for ford aus.

as for the gw's...i seem to remember someone on here a fair while ago saying that the gw's would be an up and comming vehicle in this country and got booed and heckled all the way home....hmmmmm.

:cheers!:

Last edited by a moderator:
With the amount of banner ads I get from this site that tell me to buy a GW I reckon they should be out selling bloody Hilux's by now,

The comment about the Holden Cruze being the 'aussie' car is spot on, the Commodore range is a dinosaur and they're well past their use by date.

Rather than the government throwing good money after bad I'd much rather see them putting money into getting more mid sized Cruize parts made here.

Geoff3DMN;131222 the Commodore range is a dinosaur and they're well past their use by date.[/QUOTE said:
well then if that were the case, there would be no sales and they'd stop making them...just like what happened to the Munro,
same can be said about the Falcons....they both sell here, there's no mistaking it.
on the other hand is it the right way for Ford and Holden to go, well for me and many a tru blu male...yes
prolly as car manufacturer competing on the world stage, no.
But as i mentioned before, parent Co's Ford and GM have other plans for us/them.

In a way the commodore and falcon are dinosaurs. However the the commodore has been a bit of a shining star on the GM global stage as it's the only rear drive sedan platform in the GM range. I'm no big fan of the commodore but it has it place and some things it can do rather well.
Only thing that has kept the commodore going is export, if it wasn't for that it probably would have gone down a while ago. It amazes me that the Falcon is still going. The strong Aussie dollar has to be really hurting Holden if it stays high like it is I think it will greater affect than the carbon tax will and may well be the end of them. There is not to many car manufactures in the world that produce as few units as Holden and Ford Australia and stay afloat.
Give it a few years and would lay money you can say goodbye to our iconic cars.

But as i mentioned before, parent Co's Ford and GM have other plans for us/them.

That has been the unfortunate truth since day 1 of both companies, the major difference back then was that through strong sales both Australian branches were able to push the parent co's harder, in today's climate it's a lot harder to do that and the parent co's are pushing back.

If Holden had the same power they had in 1948 when they pushed the FX into Australia GM wouldn't dare tell them what to do but things change. GM forced the design of the Commodore on Holden way back when, Aussie designers wanted to design it here and to what they considered Australia taste to be but GM refused and made them go with an overseas design and they had the power over Holden because by that stage cheaper imports where flooding the market here and making Holden less profitable.

The parent companies have always had different plans for the Aussie siblings but it takes the Aussie sibling to out preform the parent before they can throw any weight.

am looking at the ARB online pages atm.....guess what the new range is on the pull down menu of vehicles....GW.

ARB Products | ARB 4x4 Accessories

GW's have been popping up in all sorts of menus. I was looking at canopies a few weeks back and they appear on most canopy sites now, (also make a GW look slightly better too).

They appear on many mod websites now because people are actually lifting them, whacking muddies on them and going bush, whether they will last is anyones guess but if some of the overseas GW mods are anything to go by they may never be a serious contender but they will be a viable option for the weekend dirt warrior.

GW's have been popping up in all sorts of menus. I was looking at canopies a few weeks back and they appear on most canopy sites now, (also make a GW look slightly better too).

They appear on many mod websites now because people are actually lifting them, whacking muddies on them and going bush, whether they will last is anyones guess but if some of the overseas GW mods are anything to go by they may never be a serious contender but they will be a viable option for the weekend dirt warrior.

They dont last long if you take them offroad, Ballarat dealership had a GW come in on a monday with a bent chassis after trying to take it offroad. I know all cars have issues

One bent chassis means bugger all though, even in a country where their sales figures are probably quite low. There is a lot of people that bag them out but there is still plenty of GW's on the road and some of them one day will no doubt make it off road.

With GW now pushing the wagon it's no wonder Holden and Ford aren't doing as well as they might want to, one car that compares to something both Holden and Ford make and is a lot cheaper than theirs is always going to make it difficult. The ute may not be a comparable 4wd but to many the wagon will be a comparable people mover.

Latest posts

Back