First service change of oil?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarnasty

Reaction score
Hi guys . Have my firsts service 1000km due on Monday . Just tossing up with the idea of changing oil and filter at my cost . Does anybody know if Nissan use a special oil for the running in period . Is this the reason they do not recommend changing oil for the first 5000km ?

Seems odd but maybe I'm just old school .

I was told by the stealer- ship that it's not recommended to change the oil that soon, as it is a run in oil--they said let it do its job. Don't agree, i told them i was thinking of doing it and they said if something went wrong they wouldn't honor the warranty

check the manual that comes with the ute.
by mem the 1000km service is just an inspection to make sure the factory didn't stuff up.

My dealer said at the first service that if it was his vehicle he would change the oil. It cost me the price of he oil only.

Running in oil. Pffft. I changed mine at a few thousand. I'm sure there is good quality control, the blocks are washed, components spotless but you never know, the odd one or two could slip thru the cracks now and again. After all, they are mass produced. Could be anything in there, casting sand, very small metal shards... I reckon it's best to change it and drive the thing like it was stolen, if something is going to give up due to poor assembly or manufacture it will be sooner rather than later and preferabley under warrentee.

Same goes for the drive line as well but a few thousand is probably a bit over the top, still, before Nissan recommend. Then as per after that.

BTW I was very careful changing the filter and oil using exactly the right spec oil even down to putting the exact shade blue factory paint dot on a genuine filter.

Last edited:
LOL @ "running in oil". While I'm fairly certain that the fuel mapping is on the richer side than default when the car leaves the factory, I'm also fairly certain that they don't reroute the PCV after the first oil change - so the oil has to be the same quality (at least) as what's normally used in a service. Has to run through the same turbo bearings etc etc ... the guy's obviously set the wrong calendar to wake him up in the morning.

Ask him if he's seen a car serviced since he bought his 1966 HR Holden.

Stealer didn't blink an eyelid when I asked for an early change , just charged for the oil and filter with no labour cost .

Rang Unley Nissan re 1st service they told me not to change until 10,000 as some one has stated its a run in oil. Cant see it will make any difference changing it.

What they mean is if you change it it removes the tinny amount of metal associated with running in, wouldn't want to see it run for all it's life, I mean c'mon how would they rape you for a new truck

Latest posts

Back