First Time Nav Buyer

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zfaraj

Reaction score
Hey every one I'm Zen, currently drive a 1993 4 runner.

Currently in the market for a D22 TD 05 and up and had a few questions.

Is the 2.5 better then the 3.0 or are they both good motors?
Also what are some main items that I should check and look for when looking at a Nav? I don't want to spend my money on a lemon and since I've never really looked at many navs not to sure what there common faults are.

I'm looking at a d22 with 206000kms it's for all the mods I'd want to do and the price is fair should I steer away? Is there certain things on a Nav with that many Kms I should look out for any advice/opinions would be appreciated

welcome to the forum
has it got a good service history?
what is the asking price?
some like the 2.5
some like the 3.0
they both have good and bad points

I called into a mates workshop yesterday and he had 3 x zd30's in the line up for repairs
for those who don't believe me I will happily pass on his phone number
1 was 2004 d22 with a shot turbo and ruined engine
1 was a patrol with injector pump issues
another was a d22 with injection issues, suspected injector pump
they all had one thing in common
poor service history
the d22 with blown turbo had oil like molasses
this is in no way meant to rubbish the zd30, it highlights the possible issues when the services aren't kept up
same mechanic has had years of experience servicing zd30's(he owns a patrol) and in his opinion they are a good motor" IF LOOKED AFTER"

there are plenty of members on here with zd 30's with high ks and no issues because they look after there utes
it all comes down to how they are treated and serviced
get that service history or walk away from it
just my opinions
cheers
and enjoy the forum

Last edited:
It's been serviced every 8-10k also has 1yr reg 2" lift 2 sets of cooper st tyres one mud one AT a bullbar and spot lights and the tyres are 32s asking 14800

It's been serviced every 8-10k also has 1yr reg 2" lift 2 sets of cooper st tyres one mud one AT a bullbar and spot lights and the tyres are 32s asking 14800

that sounds like a fair price with all the extras

Going to look at the car tomorrow night, what are some things I should look out for, don't want to buy a car then have a massive repair bill a little while later.

again my opinions (I am full of them)
1 never look at a car in the dark
2 never look at a car in the rain
ask for an independant mechanical inspection?
tell him you want to take it to YOUR mechanic
the $100 it costs you will be well worth it
if he hesitates there must be a reason
goodluck
cheers

Last edited:
^^^^
Good advice for sure, price is good value too, IMO any turbo diesel needs the oil and filter changed every 5000 k's especially the filter.
Both motors are different and you really need to drive both to feel what suits your purpose best, as for long term reliability oil condition is key for both motor and driveline but how do I convey on here how to assess that, so as said above good service history gives you a fair clue as to whether filters and fluids have been renewed regularly, it's all a gamble really.
Does the vehicle have that loved feel about it or does it come across like no one gave a shit about it, there's usually tell tale signs all around..take in the vibe of the truck !!

Welcome mate
when I was looking for a d22 - I had the same question
however the zd30 tick most of my boxes. It didn't miss
a beat. It has 210,000kms when first bought it.

Only reason I sold it because of the IFS and 2 row cabin
is too small. If I had the cash before I would've bought
the D40

Alot of great feedback here. I for one when purchasing my nav test drove various rigs and have driven both the 3.0 and 2.5 one after the other. Noticed the 2.5 was a bit more reliable off the line without much bog in it. Service history is a must and a good one to take a close look at. Look for tell tales signs of things being tampered with ie hoses, wires, body panels etc.

If you go for the 3.0 model I would suggest getting an intercooler kit into it asap and maybe opening up the exhaust with a 3" system this will pull a few extra berries from the motor and catch any turbo bits if it does let go.

Rusty

If the 3litres been looked after(serviced properly) you should not have a problem).

Hey guys I also have another option which is a stock 2007 D22 with 135000Kms 2.5Lt, it comes with a RWC and his asking 17,000ono his an older guy and its never been off road is that a fair price? Would this option be better in peoples opinion then somthing thats been already modded?

if it has std suspension you wont be happy
the std shocks are shit
some like to do there own mods, its not cheap
but at least you get it the way you want it
its only done average 22k a year so it hasn't been over used

Hey guys I also have another option which is a stock 2007 D22 with 135000Kms 2.5Lt, it comes with a RWC and his asking 17,000ono his an older guy and its never been off road is that a fair price? Would this option be better in peoples opinion then somthing thats been already modded?
Was 2007 a 2.5? i thought that was the last of the 3ltr but I'm probably wrong whatever you purchase try to allow as Sparra04 said $1500 for a good suspension upgrade your kidneys will thank you for it.

Hey guys sorry got mixed up it's an 07 3ltr. I just got home from looking at both the 05 was actually an 03 was real rough turbo was not health I think the deal were shot a lot of oil around the turbo body was not very good 32s were bald and had no RWC didn't like it at all.

How ever I looked at the 2007 and it was very clean and drive so well full service history a RWC the guy was very honest and it felt well looked after and that he had taken pride in his truck also brand new 31" all terrains so we worked out a price of 16000 and I'll be picking it up next week once the RWC is done very excited

Hey guys sorry got mixed up it's an 07 3ltr. I just got home from looking at both the 05 was actually an 03 was real rough turbo was not health I think the deal were shot a lot of oil around the turbo body was not very good 32s were bald and had no RWC didn't like it at all.

How ever I looked at the 2007 and it was very clean and drive so well full service history a RWC the guy was very honest and it felt well looked after and that he had taken pride in his truck also brand new 31" all terrains so we worked out a price of 16000 and I'll be picking it up next week once the RWC is done very excited
Lets hope rwc is good plenty of info here once you get going enjoy mate that's what is all about.
John

Lets hope rwc is good plenty of info here once you get going enjoy mate that's what is all about.
John

Thanks mate, there is heaps which will come in handy as I do majority of work on my own cars always have. The Nav is defiantly a huge upgrade from my 93 4runner even though the toyota served me well.

congrats mate
you will enjoy the 22
they are a good honest ute
like Toyota USED to be

Latest posts

Back