Forums banning free email accounts

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooba_285

Reaction score
Was having a look at motorbike forums and could not join as they dont allow u to have a free email address (hotmail, gmail etc), they say it is easy for spammers to get many different accounts and spam or some shit, i hope this forum doesnt do it

It is annoying but I can understand why forum admins do it because spammers use these free email accounts to create spam accounts on forums.

I haven't seen it happening here but some forums suffer badly from fake user accounts created using free emails (MacTalk and Netrider are a couple of forums that have suffered badly from this problem in the past).

Generally it's higher volume forums in areas that have lots of overseas spam sellers trying to sell stuff (Mactalk was computer stuff and Netrider was motorcycle stuff).

Navarra equippment is more niche than that which is I suspect why this forum has escaped the problem so far.

I was looking at a few tractor forums that had the same rules but they are easy enough to get around if you know how. I use one of my hotmail accounts for a lot of forums where I only want to gain access for one snippet of information or one download or something and I never use my real details unless I plan to actually use the forum.

From what I've seen most of the forums that don't allow free email accounts are the sort of forums that also use free forum software without all the bug fixes yet the admins still claim it's free email accounts that are the problem.

There are more than one mechanism that can be employed to thwart spammers and some of the alternatives are in use here, with obvious good effect.

You'll notice from time to time that an admin has had to approve a post and 'bump' the post up so people can see it. That's part of it. Personally I try to get on at least twice a day to see if any posts need approval and to jump in and ramble on and on and on and on and on and on and on but that's not always possible, for example if we're off touring, in which case I just ramble on and on and on and on and ...

Yeah it is a real pain. I have never used anything other than a free online based email and had a few troubles with a few bike and car forums.

Latest posts

Back