Front diff

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paddyman87

Reaction score
Front diff in my 09 Navara needs replacing. Wondering if I should replace it with same model diff or a diff that is compadable and if so which one is best(strongest)?

Welcome to the forum.

First thing I'd ask is why does it need replacing? If it's from 4WDing and it was destroyed after lifting a wheel while using considerable power, you might consider an e-locker from Harrop Engineering.

I only bought it just not long ago. I knew the diff needed replacing but I was in love with the ute so I bought it anyway. The guy I bought it off said the only real 4wd he used it for was getting places to go hunting. Once it's replaced I'd like to do a bit of off road that's for sure.

If that's what you're planning for it, rip it out and see what's broken. As above you're better off putting a locker in either an auto lokka or an e locker as mentioned above, if the centre is broken. Otherwise if its something simple like only a CV shaft just replace that to start with

as a general rule -
the diesel and 4cyl navs have the r180 type front diff and the V6 models have the r200 front diff.

the r200 was the previous selection for a stronger diff and used to be the only one a locker would fit. now there are various lockers available for the r180, you might as well replace it with the same.

Be sure to check your ratio, found on your build plate - id recommend getting another front diff from a wrecked car and keep your for a spare/rebuild/lokka install.

Is the diff seizing during 4WD operation? Its not too much work to remove the front diff. Remove the bash cover/plates if you have any aftermarket then 6 bolts on each cv, 4 bolts on the prop shaft and 6 bolts holding the diff in place. Once its out on a workbench you can open it up in 10 mins if you have air tools/impact driver to inspect the internals.

Latest posts

Back