Fuel consumption.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'm glad Nissan are looking in to the situation, I'm not convinced it's the best thing for the vehicle but at the same time they'd be stupid not to be looking into it if only to figure out how it effects them.

Oh well I've got about 3000 ks (each way) to discuss this with some of the truckies who use the bio in their trucks so it will be interesting too see just what they think.

Once I leave Ceduna heading West I know I only need to fill up twice more before being back in the big smoke where there is choice of fuel. Luckily I'm not fussy on the flavour of fuel as the only brand names I remember out on the Nullabor were BP and Mobil.

I wonder if the diesel gas would help the bio diesel situation, because the gas helps ignite all the unburnt diesel in the first place, maybe this could be an alternative.

I'm still not convinced on any of the alternatives, damn I'm not even convinced diesel is the best but until water works I'll just have to live with one of them.

The only reason Nissan will be looking into the effects on their engines is so they can identify whether someone has done it...........and then void warranty.

Ouch, now that's a bit cynical of me now isn't it?

Hi Guys,

My new Nav came with a sticker on the handbook saying not to use Bio Diesel or other such fuel variants.

My old man tried it in his and it clogged his filter and stopped his truck.

Caltex for me!

DJ

The only reason Nissan will be looking into the effects on their engines is so they can identify whether someone has done it.

Haha that wouldn't surprise me one bit!

The dealer did say that they had to repair a vehicle (not sure if it was a Navara, but it was a diesel-powered Nissan car) that had been driven around for a while on 100% biodiesel. It was easy to spot, he said - there was a huge amount of fatty deposits in the filter, fuel pump - everywhere. Repair cost: $7,500.

I actually touched the issue of diesel gas and didn't get a negative reaction from it.

I think we're looking at the unleaded fuel argument again, to be honest. My Jag hated unleaded, it always ran better on super (was probably just the octane rating tho). Some vehicles had to have mods to run unleaded straight (harder valve facings etc).

Give it time. Biodiesel has too much appeal for the government to not take notice. And when they start scribbling stuff down, we'll all see a change.

The thing I stressed most in the meet was that some suppliers were already blending it, at rates up to 20%, and I needed Nissan's response to using that. The answer was as given: it's ok if there are no alternatives.

But that does mean, very strictly, that as soon as possible, we need to return to petroleum based diesel. As it stands, I can't disagree with that.

The thing I stressed most in the meet was that some suppliers were already blending it, at rates up to 20%, and I needed Nissan's response to using that. The answer was as given: it's ok if there are no alternatives.

But that does mean, very strictly, that as soon as possible, we need to return to petroleum based diesel. As it stands, I can't disagree with that.

And that was pretty much where I was headed in the first place. I know there is several servos on the Nullabor that sell 20% blended and was interested to see if anyone had used it on the grounds that it's available and you just never know what might happen.

Going by all my calculated figures once I leave Ceduna which is the last place you get a choice of servos on the same street I know my Nav can get to the outskirts of Perth on two fills but what sort of idiot does a trip like that without taking into account that anything can happen out there and you might just have to stop at one of these servos. I can sure tell you that even before this discussion if I came up to a servo out there that only sold Bio and the next servo wasn't for another 200ks and I only had 200ks in the tank I'd be putting Bio in just to make sure I get there rather than finding out I used a bit more fuel because of a head wind or something and ended up having to push my car 20ks to the servo.

we are changing over to bio diesel at the mine i work at will see how things go we expect isssues while all the tanks are cleaned out by the biodiesel

And that was pretty much where I was headed in the first place. I know there is several servos on the Nullabor that sell 20% blended and was interested to see if anyone had used it on the grounds that it's available and you just never know what might happen.

Going by all my calculated figures once I leave Ceduna which is the last place you get a choice of servos on the same street I know my Nav can get to the outskirts of Perth on two fills but what sort of idiot does a trip like that without taking into account that anything can happen out there and you might just have to stop at one of these servos. I can sure tell you that even before this discussion if I came up to a servo out there that only sold Bio and the next servo wasn't for another 200ks and I only had 200ks in the tank I'd be putting Bio in just to make sure I get there rather than finding out I used a bit more fuel because of a head wind or something and ended up having to push my car 20ks to the servo.

If thats the case rather than filling up the main tank in the car, you should obviously have a jery can, use the good fuel in that to top up your car then fill the jery can up with bio diesel, unless you need more than 20l or more of fuel.

If thats the case rather than filling up the main tank in the car, you should obviously have a jery can, use the good fuel in that to top up your car then fill the jery can up with bio diesel, unless you need more than 20l or more of fuel.

I've done the calculations and for the once or twice a year I need a Jerry can (or alternate fuel storage) it's just not worth it. I even went as far as pricing a long range tank and only filling up once across the Nullabor but it was going to take too long to recoup the cost.

I'm more than happy to pay extra out on the Nullabor, its part of the deal when doing such a trip but forewarned is forearmed. Under normal circumstances I don't need extra fuel but in desperation I know my options.

My fuel economy over the last week has been in the 11L's/100km's since I was sitting on 140km/h a bit.

Dave.

I'm off down the beach again this weekend and the Nav has hit the magical 10K figure (although it hasn't been serviced yet) will be interesting too see how the economy goes through the hills and the tracks down to the beach

Great link.
Not sure on the English though - Dobinson not so good for arctic conditions?
Is the Esprit de corps now recruiting Navara owners?
That last pic says "If the Navara wont go the distance then I am willing to walk!"

Off topic though
So ours is
D22 09 12.5k kms
YD25
returning at best 8.9l / 100 and at worst 11.3l / 100

Just got 9.24 l/100km out a tank going to and from Torquay/Ballarat. 687 km from 63.5 litres. Pretty happy with that given that quite a bit was late at night (after work) and travelling at around $1.15.

Somehow it looks like my Navara is in the 9L's per 100km's. Haven't being doing the higher speeds as much.

Will post up when I need to fill up again.

Dave.

fuel comsuption

I finally got my D40 ST a few weeks back and must say i am very happy with it, (well as happy as after stepping out of a VE 6 litre Commodore ute) i just thought i,d throw in my fuel economy on my second tank that i put through it, it work out to be 9.8 L,,, this was done in a mix of driving in the Cairns city and down past Gordonvale and up to Port Douglas all with the windows up and air con on as (the little lady) don,t like messy hair,, Will b looking at a 3'' exhaust in the next month or so and also a K&N panel filter or may and try to put a pod style one on there,, Must say very informative site and keep up the good work guys

Back