Genuine driving light wiring

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearD40

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've recently bought a 2007 ST-X which has previously had driving lights fitted. It looks like it was done using a genuine switch & harness (both still there, but some wires to/from the relay have been cut), now I want to use them to fit a set of my own lights.
Does anyone have the wiring diagram?
Also, none of the wiring looks that big... Is that normal? I would have thought the main power supply to the relay would have been decent gauge wire???
Cheers,
Bear

A 100W driving light only draws 8.3A so what looks like a light duty wire will do the job.

The wiring is actually quite simple. Your relay has 4 poles on it, and they should be numbered 30, 85, 86 and 87. These should be connected as follows:

30 - heavy cable to a fuse just off the positive terminal.
85 - light cable to the high beam wire (blue wire on the right-hand headlight)
86 - earthed through a switch in the cabin
87 - heavy cable to each driving light

The switch only needs to be single pole single throw (SPST) but you can use DPDT which fit perfectly into the switch mounts under the centre console area. Connect the wire coming in to the cabin from the relay pin 86 to the centre of the switch, and connect the other side of the switch to any screw under the dash that holds the dash in. This gives you the earth connection.

Now, the driving lights will NOT come on when:

* You are on low beam when the switch is in either on or off position
* You are on high beam and the switch is in the off position

This means that the lights will come on when:

* The switch is in the on position and you change to high beam
* The switch is in the on position and you flash your high beam (pass)

That's completely legal.

If you want the driving lights to come on at ANY time, just change pin 85 to connect to pin 30 instead of the high beam light.

Thanks Tony, but the relay I'm looking at is a 6 pin. There's a blue wire which looks like it was the power feed, I'll have to trace where the others go...

6-pin relays are not all that common in automotive applications. 4-pin relays are used to switch individual devices, 5 pin relays switch from one device to another (typically). A 6-pin relay is used by Nissan and you can get them on eBay (here) and I'm wondering why they bothered doing that, there's no need to switch the earth as well if that's what they're doing.

Back