GPS Time

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine's built into the $3K Pioneer F910BT head unit in my dash. Uses the iGo8 software under WinCE ... it's not too bad, but doesn't do off-road, doesn't record where you've been and sometimes has issues with routing - but I've had worse. I've had to use paper maps and I've used fingers-in-the-sand maps. Worse than all of those is the Navman that I threw out some months back.

I do have an Aldi "Go Cruise" unit we picked up for $79. It also uses the iGo8 software and is a little more flexible than the stuff in my car.

If my head unit fails, I'll wait until I can get an Android-based unit with digital radio before I purchase another.

I have a few GPS units, the main one I use in the Nav is a Garmin Nuvi 255W that runs the normal Garmin maps and I also purchased the Garmin Aus Topo maps, I picked them up for the bargain price of $50 normal RRP is $199. It is a good little unit for on road even if the maps are a little out of date and I am very happy with the off road Topo maps they show heaps and heaps of tracks, I am yet to come across more than 1 or 2 that are not on there and the contour lines are handy for working out how steep a track is when you can't see the bottom. Also you can use the traditional voice guidance when off road which is very handy if you get a little turned around out in the bush.

I've got an eBay cheapy. 5" works grey! Will be putting OzTopo on it eventually. For now it works great on road and haven't had a single issue.
$80.00 and better than the old Tom Tom by far!

As someone who can resell a number of brand name GPS's I haven't got one but I agree with FB, those cheap Chinese ones on ebay work a treat, I've seen several of them work with a variety of maps. Some of them have little technicalities that make some jobs different but they beat the crap out of brand name ones.

As someone who can resell a number of brand name GPS's I haven't got one but I agree with FB, those cheap Chinese ones on ebay work a treat, I've seen several of them work with a variety of maps. Some of them have little technicalities that make some jobs different but they beat the crap out of brand name ones.

Once I put OzTopo on it I'll put up a full review.
But as you said not just the money, in stoked with it. I would pay double what I did for it. Mounts and everything are nice and sturdy too.
Tom Tom dropped out of reception when it saw a farken stop sign, pos

Half of those cheap ebay ones are running identical chipsets to the big boys they just whack them in a generic screen and case and off load them for a more reasonable price.

Woody's cheap shit Chinese GPS looks almost identical to my 7 inch camera screen they were brought at about the same time and they look like they came out of the same factory the only difference is guts, mines is just a screen his is GPS, media player Win CE system etc.

Funny how just a name can jack the price up so much. At the end of the day I want a reliable gps, don't need a reversing camera or any of the other fancy stuff so I might have to sus out these eBay specials

I have the garmin nuvi 1490, It came with garmins aus topo maps on micro card. As equipt said above i,m yet to find a track thats not on it

7" cheapy loaded with oziexplorer from brash imports $275.He sells off eBay and his online store. Got copies of the rooftop maps from another forum member. Works a treat, follows me everywhere I go offroad, does waypoints etc. cant say how long it'll last but so far all good.

7" cheapy loaded with oziexplorer from brash imports $275.He sells off eBay and his online store. Got copies of the rooftop maps from another forum member. Works a treat, follows me everywhere I go offroad, does waypoints etc. cant say how long it'll last but so far all good.

Got a brand or way of buying one for us?

Www.brashimports.com.au he also does a 5". Pm mahoody he can give you a torrent for the rooftop maps if you want them. Much better than most other maps I've used. Only thing with this gps is the memory card is a bit small. I could only fit a couple of extra maps on it. Easy enough to get another cheap card and transfer it all on. It does come with aus wide maps anyway. Detail is just better on the rooftop ones.

@AndyVIc

how/ where do I ge the electronic rooftop maps?
We use the paper version for Vic high country and they're great!

If you pm the forum member mahoody he has a torrent to download them. If not i may still have the file at home on my computer, just not sure. They're scanned copies of the paper ones but have all the gps coordinates built in so the gps will know where you are.

Hema HN5i. Craps on my old "Tom Tom One" but that was so basic and old.

Considered a cheapie or a Garmin and putting off road maps on it but being a total techo nuf nuf, thought better of it.

Pretty sure this info is on other threads. As long as you own paper copies of all the maps shouldnt really be a problem. Even with my gps I wouldn't go anywhere without my paper copies in case it breaks down, also find them easier to plan trips on.

I wouldn't go anywhere without my paper copies in case it breaks down, also find them easier to plan trips on.

That is a good point, I like the gps when i,m out and about. But it doesn,t give you the big picture, I carry a cfa map book as a back up, And to have a quick look at a larger area than my gps screen

eBay Brandless for $130
- 7" screen
- High Def screen
- 4gig on board and came wit 8gig MicroSD card (takes up to 16gig)
- iGo software
- Windows CE 6
- Runs OziExplorer CE as easy as...
- FM transmitter - pumps my 3gig of mp3s to the the FM radio
- Wireless Rear camera
- Bluetooth hands-free for the mobile
- usual suspects in terms of additional software, games etc
- multiple mount types & chargers
- sun shade
- half the thickness of my last Low Def 7" GPS..still working well after 2 or more years

One happy camper here fellas!

Latest posts

Back