Heath d22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
power socket

here,s a photo heath of my plugs in the back of my ute

Attachments

• IMG_0500.jpg
    IMG_0500.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 133
Thanks dave, they're very neat and look like they would be out of harms way there. I'll have a look if I can do the same. The Engel one I have has a right angle bracket on it and I dont think there is a neat little collar like yours have, but maybe I can find a way to do it.

Those plugs came from local auto elec $20 each. They fit nice ran the engel at barham for a week, And over to the coorong along those lovely limestone roads no hassles. Cant remember what size wire i used but i ran twin core sheathed so earthed properly. just make sure your cable is big enough

Today I put in an isolator switch in the +ve for the winch, This involved just getting some 8mm cable lugs and criping them to the wire and putting the switch in. There was a convenient spot to mount it, so I made up a little steel bracket. I also wired the backseat power outlet to the front power outlet. To do this the centre part of the dash had to come out, there is a thread on here about how to do that thankfully mine came out pretty easily.

Attachments

• IMAG0064.jpg
    IMAG0064.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 92
Mate - you are powering along with the mods to the black stallion (pun intended). When I need a dual battery and Redarc system installed I know who to call!

What months are you planning to do the West half lap?

Great work Heata.

Mate - you are powering along with the mods to the black stallion (pun intended). When I need a dual battery and Redarc system installed I know who to call!

What months are you planning to do the West half lap?

Great work Heata.

Thanks Daz, still to come is dual batt isolator, suspension, spotties. I am starting to get interested in the EGR mod, cause I dont like the lack of power below 1500rpm. And I'm sure many more to come. But theres plenty of time. I'll be putting in for leave for April through July 2012, or essentially term 2 in school teacher talk! that will give me 11 weeks, plus 2 weeks school holidays that fall either side of the term so its about 15 weeks.

Thanks Daz, still to come is dual batt isolator, suspension, spotties. I am starting to get interested in the EGR mod, cause I dont like the lack of power below 1500rpm. And I'm sure many more to come. But theres plenty of time. I'll be putting in for leave for April through July 2012, or essentially term 2 in school teacher talk! that will give me 11 weeks, plus 2 weeks school holidays that fall either side of the term so its about 15 weeks.

I'll bring our Travel Journal of the trip we did in 09 for you to look over on Thursday.:cheers!:

Today I put in an isolator switch in the +ve for the winch, This involved just getting some 8mm cable lugs and criping them to the wire and putting the switch in.

Rated to 600 amp? Peak draw on a winch.
Woody fitted what looked like a 75amp marine isolator....result was inevitable.
Under load a winch will draw 300 amp but pulling the trigger from stop under load will see a spike of 600amp. Even if the isolator manges to bear the load and gets red hot then there will be a voltage drop that will kill the electric motor in short time.

Rated to 600 amp? Peak draw on a winch.
Woody fitted what looked like a 75amp marine isolator....result was inevitable.
Under load a winch will draw 300 amp but pulling the trigger from stop under load will see a spike of 600amp. Even if the isolator manges to bear the load and gets red hot then there will be a voltage drop that will kill the electric motor in short time.

Thanks Aido, I might need to upgrade, It is rated to 1000 amps max @12volts, 100amps continuous load maximum. So I might need to shop around for something with a higher continuous?

but again appreciate the tip:cheers!:

and Jase, love to see the journal.

I used a similar switch on mine, it was rated at 500Amps which I thought was a switched rating, So I might change mine too. I'll have a look in the Farnell catalogue to see what else is available.

Good write up but I'd expect that from a vice principal. ;)

Keep on trucking, I'd love to see what becomes of the project.

If your that concerned about isolating the winch why not simplify it with a wing nut to the terminal?
I had concerns when I mounted mine that there was a massive live cable but I made sure that it was properly secured and free from rubbing / chafing that it is of no concern now. As for intentional vandalism by shorting the input terminals to drive the winch, very few people would know how to do it or even want to do it.
Hardwire it and save the money you will spend on switches on some more camping gear.

If your that concerned about isolating the winch why not simplify it with a wing nut to the terminal?

So with this method, you leave it of the battery terminal day to day, and when you want to use it, you just screw it on?

I was worried about having a lose cable, especially +ve. Its my understanding (and I'm happy to be corrected) that you always have -ve off the battery first and back on last. or in other words dont have +ve off the bat while -ve is on the bat.
Although I guess havving just written that, you could take both wires off the battery, set up a 'blank' screw in the engine bay for storage of cables, then just attach to the with wingnuts to the battery for winch use.

Maybe I have been reading too many 4wd action posts about winches starting accidentally and doing serious damage!:sarcastic:

Leave the + off but cable tied with enough movement to reach the terminal.
The body is - earthed so it makes no difference if it touches anything unless it is live.
Attach it as required but in my opinion this is just another procedure that needs attention whilst winching.

Hardwire it. Use grommets where required for the +ive cable and check regularly for damage or chafing.
I'll show you mine next time we meet up.

Heres a pic from recent. Mum might like a picture of all her children playing nicely. Full res (right click "save as" and print as required up to 12 x 16)
Jan2189.jpg

Truck is looking great mate, I'm keen to hear how your winch goes... I've been eyeing one off this week myself. A mate did a little research and apparently they come from the same factory that ironman winches are from... If it last a year or 2 and gets you out of those sticky situations it's money well spent.

Supercheap have sold out...None available in Vic.
This can only mean they will secure more and continue to sell them...hopefully

Truck is looking great mate, I'm keen to hear how your winch goes... I've been eyeing one off this week myself. A mate did a little research and apparently they come from the same factory that ironman winches are from... If it last a year or 2 and gets you out of those sticky situations it's money well spent.

thanks mate

All I've done is tension it... and it did work. but I'll be sure to report when it gets used in anger.

EGR mod done now, :cheers!: Jase (08KINGCAB) and like most have said, the increase in power is there, but not huge. Its really only getting from stationary to moving when there is a sort of a dead spot in the rev range, before the turbo does its thing, and similar situations that I have noticed the difference. (not sure of the technical terms; spool? lag?) If there is an increase in economy, then great. But at least all the exhaust gasses are going out the back now.

Back