Hello from Vic, Hopefully a Navara owner soon.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peteyen86

Reaction score
Hey guys. Been on here the last few days so thought i'd introduce myself. I'm 24, a mechanical draftsman and enjoy getting out in the bush when i can. Go snowboarding whenever i can and enjoy the odd bit of shooting.

Got a few mates with 4wd's so thought it was about time to join them. The subaru liberty isnt getting me where i wunna go.

Pretty much set on a Navara D22, TD3.0lt, 2005 to 2007 model when i find one in the next few months.

Been reading through alot of posts and already learnt alot. One thing that is concerning me a little is the problems with turbo's going. If i was buying new i would be looking after the turbo all i could, however since i will be buying second hand, i want to make sure i get a good one. I know a little of what to listen for when they go (the whine) however is there any other signs to look for?

Read somewhere here they typically go around 100,000 to 150,000, not sure how much truth is in that.

Ill test drive before i buy and make sure i take it up to 100km/hr so i should be able to hear any problems! Will be buying one with full service history also.

Any other suggestions of what to look/hear for would be great.

Thanks guys, looking forward to learning a shit load more.

Pete

Welcome mate, I bought an 05 in September and so far so good. I had a pre purchase check done on it for peace of mind and contacted the previous owner (who traded it in) and he gave me a full run down on it's life, usage, servicing, dents etc as he had nothing to gain or lose by telling me.
I'm sure some of the blokes will fill you in on the turbo issue, but I'm not the man for that.
The good thing about buying 2nd hand is you get extras like I got canopy, Towbar, bullbar, etc etc.... but of course no warranty.
I love my nav though, been offroad a bit and it's performed pretty well stock, do will only get better!
Good luck with the purchase, keep us posted mate...

Thanks for the replies guys. When I’m ready to buy and come across a good one, I’ll get her checked out. Had a look at RACV website, they only really do visual inspections on their checks, no dismantling, couldn’t hurt though.

Between my brother and i, we have only ever bought second hand cars in the past, and haven’t got a lemon yet, so pretty confident i should be able to find a good one. Plan on buying from Melbourne area, so hopefully find one that’s only ever seen city roads.

Thanks again guys, have a good one

Pete

Mine was a country car, old man, seems to have had a pretty easy life. Had done 118k's when I got it, looked at one with 70k's that looked like it had done 200! Shop around!

Mine was a country car, old man, seems to have had a pretty easy life. Had done 118k's when I got it, looked at one with 70k's that looked like it had done 200! Shop around!

I'll be looking local as well. Anywhere thats around 2.5 hours drive i'll go have a look if it sounds/looks ok. Hopefully find one with 150,000 or less K's. Like you said, depending how they are looked after, low K's doesnt mean much at all.

Cheers

Pete

From the valley itself there is about 4 from memory but there is a few more west Gippy or outer eastern suburbs.

G'day Pete.

I'm living in the Valley - Traf area.

Happy to catch up when I get back from NSW after 16/2.

Good luck with the purchase - look around and drive a few to get a feel for what works for you.

Cheers,
Ridgie.

G'day Pete.

I'm living in the Valley - Traf area.

Happy to catch up when I get back from NSW after 16/2.

Good luck with the purchase - look around and drive a few to get a feel for what works for you.

Cheers,
Ridgie.

Hey Ridgie, I pretty much grew up in Traf myself. Brother just finshed his house in a traf a few months ago also. Got quite a few mates from there. Im in Traralgon now with the mrs.

One of the car yards in Traralgon has a STR in there at the moment, wouldnt by from this particular yard but in might go have a test drive. Before i really start looking i've got a budget i want to save to first, so few months yet but cant wait.

Im heading up NSW next week for work.lol

Just had a look at your Nav, bloody nice mate. Did you buy you rims and tires local? That will be the first thing i buy. Probably go with Mickey Thompsons ATZ 4-Rib.

Pete

Last edited:
Which yard has the STR?

Guy I know brought a Trol from the first one on the highway about 12 months ago and got severely screwed by the owner. There was a little bit of naivety on the buyers side but the crap that prick up there put him through and what he wouldn't repair was nearly criminal.

Which yard has the STR?

Guy I know brought a Trol from the first one on the highway about 12 months ago and got severely screwed by the owner. There was a little bit of naivety on the buyers side but the crap that prick up there put him through and what he wouldn't repair was nearly criminal.

Yep thats the one. First one coming into Traralgon. Like i said, i wouldnt buy from them. Pretty sure i know who owns it, and yeah not a chance in hell. They have a Black STR in there i think, seen it from the highway.

Can't say I've seen it but I don't take much notice of the stuff there when I drive past anymore, I know there is a silver D40 in the next yard which has been there for about 12 months but the rest of those yards are a bit of a mystery to me.

At once stage or another I've dealt with nearly every car yard between Warragul and Sale and I can't say I trust any of them really, the likes of Toyota, Nissan, Holden etc do seem a little easier to deal with but like the rest once the purchase is done they forget who you are too. I wouldn't openly recommend any of the dealers down here to people because I don't think their service warrants my recommendation but there are a few I'd deal with again providing I kept the upper hand.

Hey Ridgie, I pretty much grew up in Traf myself. Brother just finshed his house in a traf a few months ago also. Got quite a few mates from there. Im in Traralgon now with the mrs.

Just had a look at your Nav, bloody nice mate. Did you buy you rims and tires local? That will be the first thing i buy. Probably go with Mickey Thompsons ATZ 4-Rib.

Pete

Cheers Pete. I didn't grow up in Gippsland - came here for work about 8 years ago.

Got the tyres and rims from Latrobe Valley Tyres in Morwell.

There are a swag of things to do to a stock Nav - some worthwhile, others crap. It pays to come for a drive and camp out with the VNOG crew (Victorian Navara Owners Group) and chew the fat with the lads and pick up some good advice - see the state section Melbourne/Vic for the threads. This forum is a great place to search for threads and post questions.

The ATZ 4 ribs appear to be a good tyre.

If you intend doing a bit of offroad driving some under body protection is a great investment.

Can't say I've seen it but I don't take much notice of the stuff there when I drive past anymore, I know there is a silver D40 in the next yard which has been there for about 12 months but the rest of those yards are a bit of a mystery to me.

At once stage or another I've dealt with nearly every car yard between Warragul and Sale and I can't say I trust any of them really, the likes of Toyota, Nissan, Holden etc do seem a little easier to deal with but like the rest once the purchase is done they forget who you are too. I wouldn't openly recommend any of the dealers down here to people because I don't think their service warrants my recommendation but there are a few I'd deal with again providing I kept the upper hand.

I hear what your saying. They are ll theives. Ive been getting my Liberty serviced at Albroys, but thats only because my cousin is a mechanic there, so i know my car is being looked after by him. Must admit, there service prices arnt to bad, that may be because im related to one of them though, who knows.

My Dad gets his nissan done at Wights nissan, his had a few little hassles with them, not finding problems and all.

Wont be buying a car from the dealers down here though, prices are ridiculous on some of the used cars.

Cheers Pete. I didn't grow up in Gippsland - came here for work about 8 years ago.

Got the tyres and rims from Latrobe Valley Tyres in Morwell.

There are a swag of things to do to a stock Nav - some worthwhile, others crap. It pays to come for a drive and camp out with the VNOG crew (Victorian Navara Owners Group) and chew the fat with the lads and pick up some good advice - see the state section Melbourne/Vic for the threads. This forum is a great place to search for threads and post questions.

The ATZ 4 ribs appear to be a good tyre.

If you intend doing a bit of offroad driving some under body protection is a great investment.

Fairenough mate, you like it down this way? Guess you do or you wouldnt have stayed 8 years hey.

There are only a few things i want to change. Dont want to mess with to much stuff to start with. Mainly just want a reliable 4wd that will get me most places and still be comfortable to drive.

Saying that though, one thing about forums is finding new things and starting to want things you see and read about..lol.

Underbody protection is one of the things on my to do list when i buy.

I seen the Victorian Navara Owners Group website. Good idea. Might get on board once i get the navara. Got a few mates with Patrol's, they would probably be keen to.

Cheers

Pete

g'day pete welcome welcome! :D I live in Dingley Melbourne, but I bought my navara from a bloke in traralgon. couldn't be happier with it. had 20 k on the clock. 2006 model. he bought it brand new from nissan in traralgon. yeah I would say bash plate are a must. I've already destroyed the ones he had on it, which I think nissan put on when the bar was put in. will be looking to make my own maybe. im up for a challenge, and I'm good at welding being a mechanical plumber :D

I hear what your saying. They are ll theives. Ive been getting my Liberty serviced at Albroys, but thats only because my cousin is a mechanic there, so i know my car is being looked after by him. Must admit, there service prices arnt to bad, that may be because im related to one of them though, who knows.

My Dad gets his nissan done at Wights nissan, his had a few little hassles with them, not finding problems and all.

Wont be buying a car from the dealers down here though, prices are ridiculous on some of the used cars.

Then you best not read some of my other threads, I've had stand up arguments on site with both the sales droid and the head mechanic at Albroys. Sales droid was just a stupid argument that got out of hand but the fight with the mechanic was one step away from turning very ugly. All based around them refusing to do all the points of the log book service on my Forrestor, disagreeing with the manual, the tyre placard and Subaru Melbourne in relation to tyre pressures and the increase in price from the quote he tried to slug on me for the 37.5K service. Albroys wont ever get my service again and in the past 7 years have done themselves out of two sales with me.

Wights aren't much better, although they replaced a whole steering wheel in the Nav for the sake of two pieces of peeling plastic. I've brought several cars from Wights in the last 20 years but they were hopeless when it comes to the Nav so I went elsewhere and now only use Wights for warranty issues and parts because my mate has the trade account there.

The day my mate retires from doing diesel mechanics if he hasn't got someone trained up my Nav will be going to Melbourne when it needs servicing because I don't trust any of the local mechanics or dealer mechanics down here.

Latest posts

Back