Help Help 5100 strut

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wade193

Reaction score
Help help 5100 Strut circlip not holding

A few of you have the 5100 adjustable struts in your car.

The problem is my mechanic phoned me to say that the clip that you adjust the height with won't stay in place. As soon as he releases the spring compressor it just pushes the clip out of the way.

Has it happened to anyone else?
I know the strength of it has been discussed before but no one has ever mentioned a failure.

What do i do now?

So my car is now sitting at the mechanics :(

A few of you have the 5100 adjustable struts in your car.

The problem is my mechanic phoned me to say that the clip that you adjust the height with won't stay in place. As soon as he releases the spring compressor it just pushes the clip out of the way.

Has it happened to anyone else?
I know the strength of it has been discussed before but no one has ever mentioned a failure.

What do i do now?

So my car is now sitting at the mechanics :(

What height or which level are you trying to install the circlip?

From what happened to my cousin apparently if you are running raised springs you cant run the circlip in the highest groove, that position is only for the shorter coil and or the light weight coil.

Get your mechanic to phone Dobinson's and quiz them as they sell the same shocks, and had to explain how to do it for the Pedders store my cousin tried to use.

Second notch from the bottom with standard springs.
How was your cousin able to resolve, it by just setting a different height?

Thanks mate, i'll get them to call dobinson.

Bugger! Don't know a lot about them, only heard good reports about them. Next step, pull the the strut out and apart and investigate why it's doing so. There must be some mechanical evidence of why it's jumping off the seating ring. Get your mechanic to investigate it. Not just take the easy option and ring you. Wouldn't be a bad idea to check out the strut for yourself while apart and get him to show you why it's doing so.

I'm going to check it out tomorrow to see for myself.
I thought it was odd because no one has mentioned it before.

Second notch from the bottom with standard springs.
How was your cousin able to resolve, it by just setting a different height?

Thanks mate, i'll get them to call dobinson.

Yeah give them a call mate, I think Pedders were trying to put raised coils on and using the highest groove so the minute it was set on its wheels it popped the clip so they ended up getting Dobinson to set up the struts lol bloody Pedders, no clue.

I was desperate so made two in case no one was browsing through this section.
After viewing lots of photos, i'm starting to think he might be making the fatal mistake of installing the spring seat upside down. It looks like the spring seat holds/traps the circlip in place.

If that's the case, what a muppet.

I was desperate so made two in case no one was browsing through this section.
After viewing lots of photos, i'm starting to think he might be making the fatal mistake of installing the spring seat upside down. It looks like the spring seat holds/traps the circlip in place.

If that's the case, what a muppet.

Yep that's the problem
If the spring seat is the right way around the circlip can not come off
Cheers

Back