help help help!!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyronehunter

Reaction score
hi everyone.

i have recently bought a second hand d40 stx and i am absolutely in love with the car. its one of the best decisions ive made and it suits my lifestyle perfectly.

but i am just seeking opinions/advice for a recurring problem. when i use the 4wd mode....the back wheels drag and skip when im offroad. its hard to explain....but it feels like the car hops and skips.

My brother in law used to own a hilux (and has recently upgraded to a bt-50) and his ute use to do the same thing.....and found that the drum brakes engage/disengage lever was worn. therefore was sticking when driving.

ive taken it into nissan (as its still under used car warranty) and they dont want to open anything up without a certain cause/problem. they actually wanted me to take a couple of technicians out to 're-create' the problem so they can observe. they also took the ute out in 4wd mode on road and said there was nothing wrong with it.

i really want to get to the bottom of this because i love my ute and i love taking it offroad. i also want to get it done asap because the used car warranty wil end soon.

thanks for your help everyone

does it do it in LOW range and high range?
are you sure you are correctly engaging low range? or does the light on the dash stop blinking when in low and do you clearly hear it clunk into low?
also this may sound silly but are all 4 tyres the exact same size?

Or gear ratios? Wonder if it has a history with a diff in the past and a diff with the wrong ratios when back in.

Or gear ratios? Wonder if it has a history with a diff in the past and a diff with the wrong ratios when back in.

that could of very easily of happened, BUT im just wondering why the car yard wasnt able to make it do it?
thats why i was asking about correctly engaging the 4low, there has been allot of people come on saying that 4x4 and low doesnt work only to find they have not followed the proper procedure

only happens in High range. all four tyres on the miniscreen stop blinking and hold a solid black. im fairly sure all tyres are the same size but ill double check.
nissan only took it out on road.....i was having the problems off road. if i bring it in to nissan again...how can i explain to them better?? or atleast suggest faults that have been mentioned here??

thanks again guys

that makes it point toward transfer case if it only does it in H4, mmmmm strange one

If it's only noticeable in 4HI you'd think it wasn't the final drive ratio front-rear (so it isn't tyre size or diff ratio changes).

It could be a bent/damaged/loose load compensator. Barely notice that in 4LO because of the torque multiplication effect.

Climb underneath the car and inspect the spring mounted compensation mechanism that leads to the brakes. If that's good, go to work with a flat-bladed screwdriver. Remove the caps from the drum brake adjustment ports and loosen the brakes (say) 4 notches on BOTH sides. Take the car for a drive - if the problem has gone away, it's definitely in the brakes. Not sure it'll be here, because you'd expect it to also happen in 2HI too.

What if it's a damaged front CV?

Nissan tech taking the car in 4wd ON ROAD????
Are they for real?
What about gearbox "wind-up", no i don't want to believe the were Nissan trained technicians!

As Tony mentioned the problem might be overcome in 4LO because of the the extra torque.
It could still be a diff ratio issue because it only happens when the transfer case is engaged you might not notice it in 4LO OFF ROAD because it might generate more wheel spin.
It could also be in the transfer case.

Best of luck (you need it with those techs at Nissan)

Maybe take the front shaft out and then go for a spin in 4H and see how that goes. That will eliminate the hole front end and it won't bind up your drive train.

Back