Help Needed - Welding Temperature

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arc is harder to use than a mig, but its all we use at work, easy to change a rod for really thick steel then put a small stick in for thin. We have a cig 170 amp arc welder at work the new small unit. There cheap and very versatile,

Arc is harder to use than a mig, but its all we use at work, easy to change a rod for really thick steel then put a small stick in for thin. We have a cig 170 amp arc welder at work the new small unit. There cheap and very versatile,

yeah... I like my arc welder too.....but is it a good choice for a beginner and 1.6mm m/s...?????

inverter arc welders are pretty easy to use.
might be able to weld 1.6mm with one, if you set the amps low enough. would be pretty easy to blow holes though id imagine. ive never tried to weld that thin with arc.

mig is good, but gas is expensive if your not using it regularly. gasless mig is a waste of time in my book.

The 170 amp inverter welder we use is good I can weld pretty thin metal with it, sometimes its not always overly successful

Mig is definately easier but hey, if you have the arc already why not give it a crack! Practice practice practice!

I dont have many pics of canopys on tubs we dont do alot on tubs mainly on traybacks tbo ill have a look whats on the computer at work but probly slim pickings as my last one just died and im to lazy to back up pics. if you have an arc welder use it will do the job with patients and practise if your gonna buy i mig cant go past uni mig for quality at a reasonable cost. they are still dearer than a handyman welder but a lot cheaper than some other big name brands that are no better possibly worse.
I know quiet a few local engineering and trailer shops that use them and i use a 250amp inveter mig (unimig brand) was about.$1700 from memory but can get cheaper if you.only get say a 180-150amp version. get the big one imo but. with mine i can do anything from sheet to plate no worries even did panel repairs on the last car i did up with it.
But if you got the arc give it a crack as someone else said pick the rite rod and practise on.scrap

i have a 170 amp inverter welder so il try that for now and if i cant do it il buy a mig. just another question can you weld to a 40x40 shs 3mm
25x25 shs 1.6mm?

My 2c on arc welding 1/6mm is good luck as you are going to need it.

I have a good basic welder, but I can not get the amps down low enough to weld 1.6mm. Turns the 2.0mm rod a very bright orange real quick.

The only trick I can suggest is to clamp on some solid metal on the other sides to help take the heat away, but you will have to move it a number of times.

Mate look up case84 on here he built a steel frame canopy and put some good photos up

That looks good but the roof rack is a bit to big for me I don't need it to be so big. I like the shape of it that's what im going to try an make but with steel sheet ont canvas.

That looks good but the roof rack is a bit to big for me I don't need it to be so big. I like the shape of it that's what im going to try an make but with steel sheet ont canvas.

That was why i told you about it, For ideas wether you make a replica of it or your altered version it was a starting piont

Latest posts

Back