Help please..Adelaide to Surfers Paradise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teamkiwi

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have just bought a Jayco Outback Swan from the Adelaide camping show and have decided to drive the kids to the Gold Coast leaving Easter Friday (or Thursday after work to Mildura).
We don't want to arrive until the Tuesday sometime so the Easter crowds have subsided. That gives us five days to get there.

We will stay about 5 days and come home through Dubbo.

Now for the hard part - what way to go. What are the must see's?

We are thinking of going through the Snowy's and up the NSW coast but are not sure how busy everywhere in between will be and would prefer to avoid Sydney. Also not keen to travel the outback route until I have spent some time preparing the camper. We should be right to free camp wherever but the girls would put up less of a struggle if we stayed in camp grounds with showers and flush toilets.
Does anyone have any suggestions or must see's? Any advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Not sure about the trip up but the caravan park at Helensvale /oxenford is across the road from movie world. And is one exit from dreamworld. And a short drive to seaworld as well.
The park itself has jumping pillow and play stuff for the kids aswell. that's if you are planning on theme parks... oh and dreamworld is imo is the best for rides ect.. hope this helps...

There are a few sights to see if you don't mind some scenery.

1) Drive to Mildura, head over the Murray to Wellington then head to Lake Mungo. Exit via Box Creek Rd to Balranald Rd and then head east along the Murray Valley Highway.

2) Head for the Alpine Way. We went via instructions from a Tom Tom and it took us through Holbrook NSW - definitely worth stopping. There's a whole bloody complete real fish out of water there - a decommissioned Oberon class submarine smack bang in the middle of a park. I kid you not. Actually, I might find a pic of this for you and attach it to this post.

3) Go along the Murray Valley Hwy and consider a stop at the pub at Koetong, they do good coffee and it's quite a quaint little place. Head up the Alpine Way, PLEASE use lower gears when climbing. It's not recommended for caravans but we took ours and it wasn't a problem. Just east of Khancoban is the Murray 2 Pondage with a lookout - stop, across the ravine is one of the Snowy River Scheme power stations. You can drive in and take a tour - the camper trailer will fit, don't worry.

4) After getting through Thredbo and coming to the T intersection at Jindabyne, head for Cooma then take the road to Bega. They're famous for their cheese and they make it - and sell it - right there. Turn into the street, there's an unattended Caltex servo on the right hand side and you can take your camper trailer straight in, keep towards the right and head around the back to the trailer parking.

5) Heading north, look for the Wallaga Lake/Bermagui turnoff to the right - don't take it, but take the next left to Tilba Tilba. No need to stop in Tilba Tilba, but in Central Tilba (about 2km further) they have lots of little boutique stores. It's worth a visit. You might want to hide the credit cards in clothing store on the west side of the main street, they have some nice stuff in there.

6) Continue north, there's lots of lakes and beachy places until you get to Kiama, famous for its blowhole. Drive straight in and park in a bus zone - we weren't chased away from there.

7) Sydney is ... Sydney. The motorways will cost you a toll but if you use the Cumberland Highway, then Pennant Hills Rd you'll get to the F3 freeway which will take you to Newcastle. Here's a decision - coast road or inland? Both have some things to see. There are more rest areas on the coast road.

8) Coast road: turn towards Hexham/Taree and when you come over the New England Highway (Maitland Road), get into the left lane and stay there after the speed limit drops to 80km/h - around the corner and down a bit is a left exit lane to put you over the Hexham bridge and head through Heatherbrae and onto the new highway north. It's good driving for a very long way. Consider the motorcycle museum at Nabiac, Coopernook Forest Park for a free overnighter (a little fiddly to get in to but it's a nice place to stop, pit toilets now though). From there, head to Coffs and consider jumping from the coast road to the inland road by taking the turnoff at Raleigh to the Waterfall Highway which will bring you out at Armidale. If you stay on the coast, it's just more coast once you're past the Big Banana at Coffs.

9) Inland Route - when you leave the freeway on the Newcastle end, you'll see the Hexham/Taree signs as well as Kurri Kurri and Maitland. Take the Maitland road and stay on it. Follow the signs to Singleton, Muswellbrook (big power stations there, Liddel and Bayswater) then on to Scone and Murrurundi. There's a little cafe on the north side of Murrurundi that looks delightful to visit, but the food they sell is worse than dogshit and the coffee is probably dogvomit. Just keep going, take it easy up the hill. Next stop is Tamworth - big Golden Guitar there not far from Maccas (park on the highway). From there on to Armidale and Glen Innes - you might want to stop @ Glen and see the Standing Stones - turn off the New England to the Gwydir Highway and up the hill a bit is a right hand turn with the sign partly hidden by trees. If you go over the hill you've gone too far. Return to the New England and continue north, you'll make the Gold Coast within the next day. There's a nice rest area about 9km north of Glen Innes on the left that is good for a free camp.

Oh, that submarine ...

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG0240-resized.jpg
    IMAG0240-resized.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 389
Thank you so much both of you. Tony, that sounds like a fantastic trip. Thank you for taking the time to do that for us.

Thats about what i would suggest there Tony, from Holbrook to Cooma sounds about right i grew up around there and its great for tourists and alike for sight seeing, i would suggest go from Holbrook to Tumbaruma then Tumba to Khancoban then on to Jindabyne, Tumba has a few great camping areas and a good cravan park as well, plus the bakery there does the best pie in the country (open for debate) i grab several pies every time i go back home.
The road from Tumba - Jindabyne is steep but the views in places are to die for plus you have the Snowy Hydro stations there which are worth a peek as well. take your time and enjoy the trip. Chat to Nathan22 he knows the area quite well plenty to do in Jindy as you have Thredbo right there.

Enjoy

G'day.
Don't forget about the radio telescope at Parks (not far from Dubbo) for a little more information just watch the movie "The Dish".

^ That's true. Worth a detour if you have the time. If you're near Parkes, it's a hop over to Mudgee and some really decent wines (particularly at Pieter Van Gent's, they make a nice port too). If you DO head to Mudgee, stay at the Mudgee Riverside Caravan Park. Reasonable rates, drive through sites, GOOD showers, a laundry, and best of all there are shopping centres just 5 mins WALK up the road.

Holy s*#t.. Tony ! If your going alpine way we free camped at talangatta I think its called a free camp.site called pig point very quiet and popular with fishermen as its on. The river . The reference came from camps 6 book . I think they are up to camp 7 . A worthwile investment . As for caravan parks up here at Easter ! Wow I wish you luck :eek:

There is a nice way from Adelaide via Murray bridge/Tailem bend on to the Mallee Hwy (you most likely known it) this will take you all the way to the Sturt Hwy at Balranald NSW. There are a number of way over the Snowy's, 1) is the Hume Fwy (boring) then 2) is the Snowy Mountain Hwy this is sealed and takes you past large lake and there is also caves and a hot water swimming holes.... its a great but long drive. 3) is the unsealed road to Canberra via the Brindabella's, this was a rough road (haven't done it in years) and take you though some great country. Go to Tumut then head out on the Wee Jasper Rd turn onto Brindabella Rd.

Then there are way down to the south coast of NSW, these can be via Cooma or Canberra both good drives.

Thats a start have fun.

Well Im finally leaving tomorrow. Not before the Navara started stalling intermittently and running rough. Thanks to this forum I chanced it being the scv and luckily turned out right. Totally different beast now. The performance must have degraded over time.
Cant wait to get to the Snowys and NSW coast. Thanks again for all the advice.

Latest posts

Back