HELP - Stalling after engine fit

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodrocket

Reaction score
greetings all

just fitted another engine to the D40 & have an issue where the car just stalls as you slow down

I have also replaced the following & there is no codes present

Injectors from Old engine into the new one & coded them

Suction Control Valve from the old engine to the new one

Fuel Filter - new Genuine

Throttle Body from old engine to the new one

there are no codes present so I feel its something mechanical, anybody have any ideas before I start to tear it all down

regards
Rod

Hey Rod, couple of questions that might help.

1) Does the engine stall if you pop the car into neutral and then slow the vehicle? If not, it might be the clutch not disengagng fully.

2) If you idle the vehicle, does the arm under the turbocharger operate semi-erratically? Could be failing vac hoses/solenoid.

3) If you accelerate hard from a standing start, does it blow lots of smoke and seem to be suffering performance-wise? Could be dirty MAFS.

4) Have you blocked the EGR? The valve might not be closing properly.

5) Check the blow-by levels, is there a lot of gas flowing out at idle?

thanks for the reply Tony

I will check those suggestions tomorrow

the car is an Automatic

as for the EGR I have blocked that off

I even tried to drive it with the fuel cap off thinking it was sucking the tank into a vacuum

the car drives good the all ot a sudden it stalls & is a pain to re start

I will let you know how I go tomorrow

regards
Rod

Hold the gas down when restarting, find that it really helps when they stall.

I doubted it was the SCV because you've taken it from the old engine and I'm assuming that either it was clean, or was cleaned in the process of transplanting it. Doesn't mean it can't cause trouble still but there are easier things to look at first.

I'm assuming that you haven't changed the oil in the gearbox - if you have, and the ATF you're using is slightly heavier, the TC might be gripping too much. I've never heard of the TCM making the mistake of leaving the TCC engaged as you stop, I've never managed to keep my TCC engaged below 55km/h - that is a mistake on the part of my TCM, but may have been enforced by driving conditions that didn't relax the drive train enough as the vehicle slowed.

There have been a couple of reports of "fuel starvation" that occurred because the fuel line was accidentally left in just the wrong spot and was clamped against the underbody.

It would be interesting to see if your fuel rail pressure falls below 4,000psi as you're braking. The ECU will turn off the injectors (bringing the flow rate to zero) but the rail pressure should always stay above around the 4,000psi mark give or take a couple hundred. If it drops below 3K you know it's not working right. Do you have a means of checking that? I use a bluetooth OBD adapter and an Android phone with Torque app in mine.

haven't had a chance to check the fuel rail pressure as yet but I drove it tonight & noticed when the car is cold it appears to be fine but once the temp gauge get up above a 1/4 is when it starts to stall if you remove your foot from the accelerator

it only stalls when you lift your foot off the gas, driving on the freeway or with the cruise on it doesn't miss a beat

still ne engine light coming on either so it leads me to think its something mechanical

regards
Rod

thanks Tony

I am starting to pull what little hair I have left out.......................

think I may need to find a way to measure fuel pressure as you suggested earlier

is there any particular one of those ELM modules that you recomend

regards
Rod

I have tried a few more things

substituted the MAF sensor for the one from the donor car that the engine came from

substituted the Vacuum solenoid that controls the waste gate for the one from the donor car that the engine came from

checked that the primer doesn't lose pressure when the engine stalls

checked that the waste gate actuator valve is fluctuating when the engine is running

unplugged the SCV & heard the rattle from the engine

also took a couple of video's, I will try to post them here

regards
Rod

OK, our diesel engines have no mechanical butterfly, so the thing that controls their revvs is basically just how much diesel gets into the cylinders.

If the engine is stalling, it suggests that not enough diesel is being injected to keep it going, so could be low rail pressure (points to SCV or pump).

If it seems to correlate well with temperature, then I would also look at things like crank and cam angle sensors (if this engine uses them), basically stuffing up when the engine injects, but I would have expected a CEL if the ecu was getting bad data from these.

Not sure what else could change with temperature, it's an interesting one for sure.

Could be a sticking injector. Works ok when enough pressure but not at low idle pressure? Just a thought. Would also explain the temperature aspect of the problem

Could be a sticking injector. Works ok when enough pressure but not at low idle pressure? Just a thought. Would also explain the temperature aspect of the problem

I have changed out the injectors from old engine to the new one & coded them to the ECU........same problem

I believe the crank angle sensor & cam sensor would both show a code but will try them & report back my findings

anybody know if the fuel pump needs to be coded to the ECU ???

regards
Rod

As far as i know the fuel pump just pumps whatever its allowed to pump by the SCV.no coding nessasary.just another question...did the replacement engine come from a similar year car..and or its not a thai engine in a spanish car is it...or the other way around?

As far as i know the fuel pump just pumps whatever its allowed to pump by the SCV.no coding nessasary.just another question...did the replacement engine come from a similar year car..and or its not a thai engine in a spanish car is it...or the other way around?

both cars are identical, I ran the engine in the doner car but only for a few minutes before pulling it apart, didn't let the engine get warm at all

the doner vehicle was hit in the R/H side & not a lot of damage at all

regards
Rod

Defiantly not the Crank Angle sensor, I have swapped it out for the one from the doner car & its still stalling once the engine reaches 74 degrees C

I will keep you update on how it goes once I change out the cam angle sensor

regards
Rod

Latest posts

Back