Help with my new nissan navara d22 2004

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmma221

Reaction score
Hay guys im new here so dont laugh if i get a few things wrong,

My names Matthew and I have just bought a nissan navara, Its a D22 2004 3L turbo diesel.

I bought it with the following items-
2 IPF spotlights
Nisssan snorkle
Uhf radio
rhino roof bars
Various recovery gear
ARB Canopy (blue)

Im going touring at the end of the year and I have a few modifications that i would like to do to the car, but i thought i would make a post asking you guys what you think.
I will try and post some pictures of the car in a few days so you can get an idea of the space that i am working with.

Has anyone set up a D22 for touring before, if so what did you do, where did you go to get it done? and where did you get your gear from?

Ok, so this is what I had in mind-
Install a Ute slide in the back of the tray for easy access of items
Install a false floor above ute slide for more storage area
Dual Battery system with National Luna Duel battery monitor system
Either Old man Emu or EFS suspension all round
New tyres - coopers or Bf goodrich
Put my existing roof basket back on the racks
Purchase a Engel 40L or 60L fridge freezer

I have already pulled out the back seet for more storage room however one of my issues is i dont know how to use the space that i have (back seat, roof rack and well body).
If you guys could give me all the info you could on anything to do with the D22, It would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Matthew

Hey mate, I'm in the process of setting up my d22 for touring at the end of June, I don't have any time now, but when I do I'll grab a few pics of what I've done and do up a thread on the build up so y'all can see, and you've got a very similar setup to me at this point in time.

G,day mate and welcome to the forum.How do you plan on touring,do you have a camping trailer,rooftop tent ect.Dobindons springs and shocks I find the best out there.Wht dont you build a draw system for the back instead of a slide.you shouldnt need to remove the back seats for room.put an inverter behind the back seat.you want bullbar winch spot lights,tyres,recovery gear,good recovery points,dual battery system.check out my garage and nissan navara d22 v8 in the search option.

The d22's are a good base to start from.

here's mine...
P1080002.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

Check out chartrocks draws (i'll be building some soon) http://www.navara.asia/members-rides/86-my-d22-drawers.html

As for suspension talk to Zordo on this Forum. (suspensions guru)

P1010757.jpg

P1010759.jpg

P1010761.jpg

P1010754.jpg

P1010760.jpg]

Just a few pics of the car,

So much POTENTIAL! what to do, what to do, what to do?

I think the first and most important question you need to answer for us is:

What kind of touring destinations did you have in mind?

If you're just heading across the Nullabor and up the Stuart Highway then what you need is sleeping space, refrigeration and food/fuel storage.

If you're doing the CSR, fuel and compactness with sand and mud recovery gear would be a priority.

There are quite a few of us that go touring. Some use swags, others use full vans (like my wife and I as well as a few others here). You will find everything inbetween - camper trailers, rooftop tents etc - used by the people here. Each has a purpose and some aren't suitable for some purposes (eg towing stuff on the CSR - not recommended!).

So, let us know what you have in mind and we'll try to help you out!

Hay mate,

Yeah ok that would be wise to tell u what touring im doing,

Ok the first thing is we are moving to broome at the end off the year for 6 months. We did a trip last year (me and the missus) and we fell in love with it so much we want to live their.
In betwen and after those 6 months i would like to travel to places like 80 mile beach, karajini and Millstream national parks, Pardoo and arhnem land.
I would also love to do the Vic high country- (in convoy?)

The other thing that we might do (if the money is right) is do a lot of HW driving to melbourne, sydney, brisbane etc.

I need a set up that we can be self suficiant if we need to, as well as being a comfortable ride on the road. We have decided that we will be sleeping in a tent when touring- as roof top tents and camper trailers were not finacianly an option.

I have a budget of about 6 grand to play with.
Cheers :big_smile:

For what you're wanting to do, I'm thinking you're almost done now - storing some extra fuel might be an advantage, and whether you choose to do that with a long range tank ($1400 or so, fitted) or like I do with jerry cans (get the Willow ones for about $30 each).

Other than that, I think your vehicle sounds right for the purpose. If you're happy with its off-road capability, then given fuel and the recovery gear that you have you ought to be ready for anything.

With regards to that recovery gear: do you have a decent compressor, tyre deflators, do you have a sand tree or star pickets, can you recovery your vehicle from different terrains, which bits are you missing?

Sounds to me like you're nearly there. Perhaps a decent dual battery system in the tub to run the fridge. Engel fridges auto-switch to 240V when they can, so using an inverter to drive the fridge is viable. Just make sure the cabling is heavy enough. Also, 60L is much better than 40L!

Hay mate, i cant recover my vehicle in all terains (I wish i had a winch but). Im thinking about getting a set of Maxitrax just to help me out, i have 2 snatch straps and an exaust jack already so i can do sand recoveries. I just need a good set of tyres now.

I have been out today at Opposit Lock, Ulimate 4x4 and Costal 4x4 (last 2 are perth based) and have got a few more quotes.

Tough dog and EFS suspension packages came in at about the same price (around $2000) and Blue max came in at $2100. All packages were complete suspension redos (including tortion bar). Have got quoted $1400 bucks to install a National Luna duel battery management system and just over $1000 bucks to install a Ute slide.

I was considering the new Black widow travel mate storage draws. They are 25% cheaper then he full black widow draws but in my opinion hey take up too much room for only 2 draws and 2 side pannels. The ute slide came in at just over $1000 and was about $800 bucks cheaper then the travel mates.
With that now i just need tyres, fridge, install my existing roof baske and an inverter. Ohhh, and MONEY! haha

Thanks for all of your help mate

Who quoted you $2100 for bluemax?! I'm in Perth and have been talking to zordo about them and he sent me a PM stating this "Blue max use the same leaves as EFS & i can recommend them. A bluemax kit [pick up in perth ] would be $1300 all up" obviously that doesn't include install. But $2100 sounds like they are bending you over and reaming you good time mate.

Hay mate, Sorry I got the quote wrong-

These are a few quotes that I have recieved over a few months from various
4x4 stores- Please let me know what you think?!-

COSTAL 4X4- Bluemax Leave springs and bushed with T-dog Torsion bar and shocks - $2150 fitted

OPPOSIT LOCK- T-dog full suspension upgrade- $1825 fitted

ARB- Old Man Emu- About $1450 fitted

Malage Suspensions- Full suspension upgrade -Around $1800 (using either Bilstein or Dobinsons)

Latest posts

Back