Hi all, after advice

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REKLESS

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have joined this forum as it looks like I will be the proud owner of a Navara something very soon ( as soon as I buy it that is). I Have been doing a little trolling around some dealers and private sellers as well as some auction sites and have narrowed it down to some offerings at the auctions for best value for money.
I am looking at spending around the 25 k mark and am after a diesel dual cab with under 90 000km , my intentions are ( apart from being a shopping trolley for my wife ) to do some inland touring as well as the usual Vic alps , fraser island stuff. Having owned a patrol before I have a little experience in recognising issues with the usual drive train hassles but I was after any tips of things that may not be so obvious or indemic to Navaras.
I have included a link to the sort of truck I am after.Vehicle Detail - Pickles Auctions Australia

any comments would be appreciated .
Cheers Simon

Welcome to the forum.

The manual has an issue with the clutch. Some burn 'em out real early, 20-25k on the clock and they're in for a new one. Clutches don't come cheap either.

It's caused by an under-spec clutch with a car that "at reasonable rpm for moving off from a start" provides an excessive amount of torque. The D40 pulls hard from 1800-2000rpm, and is unfortunately a little gutless below this, which further inspires you to get the engine rpm up into that range and this kills the clutch.

I went the auto - no dramas. The 2008 model doesn't seem to have any other issues so if you can manage the clutch, go for it.

The dark colour will show scratches really badly. Hope you like waxin' the thing!

With all due respect, I have to disagree with Tony.

Early built D40's have an acknowledged issue with clutches. Later built models don't seem to suffer this same problem. By later built models, it seems that by 2008 (roughly) onwards the problem was pretty much solved. That is, series 3 onwards. You can pick series 3 on the Spanish built ST-X models by the indicators on the mirrors.

Of course, there will always be owners who disagree, however there are plenty out there who have built up big miles with no problems whatsoever.

The vehicle in the link you provided is a late build and has the revised specification clutch assembly.

Now....I run a manual D40 every day, so can speak from a position of experience on this matter. Direct experience, not hearsay. I don't have to rev the thing to get it off the line, nor has the clutch provided any problems whatsoever. Mine is a 2008 built series 3.

From my direct experience, I can recommend the manual transmission D40 highly.

Actually that's a good point. Not all models have the problem, some have better clutches, and some are driven properly. My apologies to all for making it seem like they are all bad.

If you try to drive it like a petrol car, you'll encounter issues - diesels work a little differently, and don't need to be revved even if they feel like a little underpowered, because once they start moving they're fine. The D22 diesel is a little more like a petrol car - I thought that there was little difference in the one I drove around. The D40's turbo is more aggressive, which gives it the extra power and torque and with weak clutches and inappropriate driving methods causes the problems that I highlighted.

With clutch problems out of the way, the manual would be better than the auto for off-roading and even light towing (up to a tonne, say). Some tow even more, without difficulty at all - I'd suggest that's because they're better drivers, too. Towing relatively heavy weights is always going to strain the vehicle.

If you're looking for support in the purchase, I'd say "get it inspected and go for it".

I don't think you will find a D40 for that sort of money, You will have to go for a D22 STR. They are only available in a manual, They seem to be a reliable truck that will get you around Oz no probs.
You may be able to get a 08 2.5 mdl for around 25K?

Cheers.

Well it looks like you guys are right , the dark gray would show up lantana scratches like nothing else , looks good but!, the price of 25k was optimistic it sold for $29 750 .
Wot is a 2.5 MDL?
There is a 2006 D22 with 66 000km for $25 900 up at Swansea so i might go for a drive this weekend.
Saying that there is a 2008 D22 with 35 000km for $25 900 as well at a dealer in Lansvale which I will check out on friday . It has a bonnet scoop for the intercooler which I am unsure is standard to that model - any input guys?.
As far as clutches go , this is a Clutch Friendly Zone I havent replaced one ever in any of my 4wds or cars ever .......and I lurv diesels.

Some of the D22s had a top-mounted intercooler. The bonnet scoop was its air intake. One of the guys here even did some testing with strips to check airflow in and around the scoop to see if there were any issues - pics are in the gallery.

Latest posts

Back