Installing snorkel shortly, 95mm hole..

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me and the old boy done it in about 2 hours... No stencil just the old pencil and eye sight.. Turned out great!
My hands were too big to get the nuts on, had to get my 8 year old sister to get her hands squashed...
I got rid of the 'pre-cleaner' in the airtake aswell, so it goes straight from snorkel to air filter now. Siliconed all joins and works great. No problems with water and its crossed a couple of creeks/rivers...

I got my Nissan snorkel fitted by the dealer and it sucks in air from around the foam seal near the air filter box. Gonna mention it them at the next service but I doubt they'll fix it properly.

I checked over the Nissan fitment of the snorkle on the new Patrol yesterday. Did the plastic bag test, well it had leaks everywhere, they useless Pr**ks hadn't even tightened up the hose clamp on the turbo hose. Pretty much had to pull the whole thing off and re-seal it properly.

Did the plastic bag test again this morning, had a bit of a disaster, instead of stalling the engine it half sucked the bag in through the the snorkle head, breaking out the coarse mesh!. Had to go to Bunnings and buy new rivets, washers then panel beat the mesh back into shape and re-rivet it back on. Very confident that it no longer has leaks but I will no longer recommend the plastic bag as a good way of testing.

I checked over the Nissan fitment of the snorkle on the new Patrol yesterday. Did the plastic bag test, well it had leaks everywhere, they useless Pr**ks hadn't even tightened up the hose clamp on the turbo hose. Pretty much had to pull the whole thing off and re-seal it properly.

Did the plastic bag test again this morning, had a bit of a disaster, instead of stalling the engine it half sucked the bag in through the the snorkle head, breaking out the coarse mesh!. Had to go to Bunnings and buy new rivets, washers then panel beat the mesh back into shape and re-rivet it back on. Very confident that it no longer has leaks but I will no longer recommend the plastic bag as a good way of testing.

Oh shit, what a mess. Man Nissan have a bad rep aye, as in the blokes on the tools anyway. Likin the new profile pic is that from the vnog trip?!

I got my Nissan snorkel fitted by the dealer and it sucks in air from around the foam seal near the air filter box. Gonna mention it them at the next service but I doubt they'll fix it properly.

Mate, I'm no expert but if you're sucking air the you'll suck water.
I'd definitely be saying something (if not showing them my martial art skills) asap but then
probably fixing it myself. Might just need some silicone?
Let us knot how you get on...

Me and the old boy done it in about 2 hours... No stencil just the old pencil and eye sight.. Turned out great!
My hands were too big to get the nuts on, had to get my 8 year old sister to get her hands squashed...
I got rid of the 'pre-cleaner' in the airtake aswell, so it goes straight from snorkel to air filter now. Siliconed all joins and works great. No problems with water and its crossed a couple of creeks/rivers...

That's old school redman! Nice one.
When you say the pre cleaner is that the box that feeds off the standard intake pipe?
How'd you plumb it? What is the difference? You get more air in? Any negatives?
Cheers

actually, apart from finding a river and seeing if the car dies. What is a good method to see if its sealed?

Brett

There's a fair but on 4wd action re this. Some suggestion that you can spray any suspect joints with crc or similar and listen for rev increase. Also some suggestion that blocking the snorkle runs the risk of sucking any nicely seated seals or silicone in since, as Jase's experience shows, they suck hard.
I dont know the answer, but all I've done is had a good look at joints, felt for suction and added some sikaflex, where concerned. Looking at the air filter and the aount of dust its stopped, I think it would stop a few drops of water.

Oh and kept receipts from nissan fitting...

actually, apart from finding a river and seeing if the car dies. What is a good method to see if its sealed?

Brett

I tried the plastic bag trick but it kept sucking a hole in the bag, so i took off the top section (mine's a safari) so it was only the open end of the snorkel pipe and put my hand over it. Make sure you have someone standing ready to turn the ignition off though because it will try and suck your whole arm down the pipe! Mine went until it stalled and I had to peel my hand off because of the suction still there lol.

Maybe try someone elses idea...

cut my hole today,
lines up spot on with the inner hole,saw my exhaust guy and hes set to knock one up for me on tuesday next week hopefully.
just need to find a cruiser 80s box now and then assemble it all.
i have pics ready to post when its all done..
cant wait...no joins,all one piece to the air box,so no leaks.....whooohooo

thanks Navarian, for the whole saw,enjoy those bundys..

cut my hole today,
lines up spot on with the inner hole,saw my exhaust guy and hes set to knock one up for me on tuesday next week hopefully.
just need to find a cruiser 80s box now and then assemble it all.
i have pics ready to post when its all done..
cant wait...no joins,all one piece to the air box,so no leaks.....whooohooo

thanks Navarian, for the whole saw,enjoy those bundys..

Love your work Joe.
Shouldn't be hard to find the 80 box? Toyota wrecker?
I've got my guard and wheel off and already to drill in the morning!
Do you know anything about removing the pre filter altogether? Someone mentioned it previously.

theres only 3 bolts holding it in place,(the pre filter),just undo them and toss it away.
just got a sms about my cruiser box,might have found one,for a princely sum of $35.00
other wreckers wanted $180...
what a bargain...

Latest posts

Back