Jaymac90210's Triton

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drove one a while ago and it seemed to go well quiet a perky motor likes to rev to get going how does economy compare to the old girl in normal situations?.

I drove one a while ago and it seemed to go well quiet a perky motor likes to rev to get going how does economy compare to the old girl in normal situations?.

Yeah they definitely like to rev... If it wasnt for the usual diesel clatter you would definitely believe you're driving a petrol haha. It's heaps better on fuel so far, and that's just the early days. It's only done 1,300 kms haha. Getting around 9L per hunge around town, even better on the freeway. And it only sits on 2100rpm and 100kmh so it's puuurrring :D

One thing that bugs me is that the people wanting dual cab utes is a decent sized engine. Now I know "size isn't everything" :p (mind out of the gutter for those thinking dirty haha) but like seriously... 2.5 hauling the weight of a dual cab with bullbars bigger tyres etc... And people turning to touring Australia with caravans and camper trailers, they downsize the engine? I mean the Amarok is a 2.0L! I found the 3.0L in my D22 perfect... Not sure how the 2.5L versions go haha. My 2 cents anyway

One thing that bugs me is that the people wanting dual cab utes is a decent sized engine. Now I know "size isn't everything" :p (mind out of the gutter for those thinking dirty haha) but like seriously... 2.5 hauling the weight of a dual cab with bullbars bigger tyres etc... And people turning to touring Australia with caravans and camper trailers, they downsize the engine? I mean the Amarok is a 2.0L! I found the 3.0L in my D22 perfect... Not sure how the 2.5L versions go haha. My 2 cents anyway

Completely agree! Toyota and Isuzu have a market with the 3.0L engines, they don't all produce the power of the D40 but the engines aren't as stressed either. The 3.2L Ranger 5 cyl I'd have to say is my pick, I think they've done well with that thing, although from what I hear it's got it's own issues. Hopefully they sort them out and have themselves a good strong engine!

having owned both a 3.0L and 2.5L diesel I'd stay with 3.0L or bigger if you want a diesel more low end torque, like my ZD30 can pull off in second gear, so could the YD25 nav I had but it would almost stall it, the ZD30 just shrugs it off like "you'll have to do better than that to stall me..."

obviously a 3.0L will use more fuel and be heavier ect but its a 4x4 not really a sports car.

that's right, my old boy had a 3L D22 and you could take off in first without any throttle, can't do that in his D40.
In saying that, he lives at the base of a very steep hill. The D22 had to come out of the gate hard to get into 2nd and hit boost before the hill otherwise it was a first gear hill climb. The D40 can take off from the gate, get into thrid and pull up at 2,000rpm so i think the majority of that issue with taking off is just in the clutch and gearing of 1st gear

Completely agree! Toyota and Isuzu have a market with the 3.0L engines, they don't all produce the power of the D40 but the engines aren't as stressed either. The 3.2L Ranger 5 cyl I'd have to say is my pick, I think they've done well with that thing, although from what I hear it's got it's own issues. Hopefully they sort them out and have themselves a good strong engine!

Exactly! Isuzu D-Max's are brilliant little rigs because of Isuzu's truck heritage, most of the running gear would be built truck tough. I didn't know the Ranger/BT-50's have issues with their motors, what goes wrong with them?

having owned both a 3.0L and 2.5L diesel I'd stay with 3.0L or bigger if you want a diesel more low end torque, like my ZD30 can pull off in second gear, so could the YD25 nav I had but it would almost stall it, the ZD30 just shrugs it off like "you'll have to do better than that to stall me..."

obviously a 3.0L will use more fuel and be heavier ect but its a 4x4 not really a sports car.

Yep I can second that. Coming from the 3.0L Navara to the 2.5 triton. Yes the little 3L only had 314nm at 2000 and the triton says 400nm at 2000rpm but the Navara pulled a lot better off idle than this thing. It's probably because people want to be able to brag about having a diesel whilst still being able to drag off V6 commodores. Something Diesel engines weren't designed to do haha! :p

that's right, my old boy had a 3L D22 and you could take off in first without any throttle, can't do that in his D40.
In saying that, he lives at the base of a very steep hill. The D22 had to come out of the gate hard to get into 2nd and hit boost before the hill otherwise it was a first gear hill climb. The D40 can take off from the gate, get into thrid and pull up at 2,000rpm so i think the majority of that issue with taking off is just in the clutch and gearing of 1st gear

Yeah true, that probably has a lot to do with the different turbos I believe. Maybe because on the D40 the VNT turbo spools up heaps faster or something? It's a strange one though

I've towed a hj47 troopy didn't even know it was there. I guess its to with the auto super low 1st gear and that the turbo kicks in a mere 1500, engine wise she is complete stock. It does worry me that that they can pull 450 toque out of a tiny 2.5lt tho.

I've towed a hj47 troopy didn't even know it was there. I guess its to with the auto super low 1st gear and that the turbo kicks in a mere 1500, engine wise she is complete stock. It does worry me that that they can pull 450 toque out of a tiny 2.5lt tho.

Wow haha decent effort! Yeah nothing against the engines themselves, they do pull loads really well but that is what worries me too... So much torque from a rather small engine!

Not gonna lie fellas, miss me bloody Navara more and more every day! They don't make them like they used to. I hate the new age 4x4's they're crap.

One of my mates at work has a 3.2 5 cyl Ranger in manual, went for a run in it and boy does it have some balls, hairy ones at that, I haven't heard what issues they've had with that motor, that'd be a shame because it seemed to me the pick of the motors.
The tubs a good size too, really deep but the tow bar hangs pretty low, as far as the Triton goes the shape is growing on me but the gear shift quality is terrible, my D22's shift feels superb compared to it.

One of my mates at work has a 3.2 5 cyl Ranger in manual, went for a run in it and boy does it have some balls, hairy ones at that, I haven't heard what issues they've had with that motor, that'd be a shame because it seemed to me the pick of the motors.
The tubs a good size too, really deep but the tow bar hangs pretty low, as far as the Triton goes the shape is growing on me but the gear shift quality is terrible, my D22's shift feels superb compared to it.

Yea the D22 has one of the best gear shifts IMO also I love the clutch feel.

Haha yeah well if anyone has a 3.0l with less than 10,000 kms on the clock I'll happily do a straight swap haha! Look the Triton is the better pick of the newer cars, but I still hate common rail for some reason. Hence is why I miss the old 3.0L. Mechanical injection wins haha! Gearbox has loosened up a fair bit now, just clicked over 3,000 kms

Back