Landcruiser 80 series airbox into d22.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just bought a petrol box from the 1FZF engine for $60. The diesel box was $110 at the wreckers and I figured it was easy enought to modify so after a bit of screwing around it is ready to be fitted.
Just need to get some mounting brackets and pipes to plumb it all up.
For those who were wondering what needed to be done to the petrol lid to get it to work here is a before and after pic.
Beforeafterairbox.jpg

And a photo showing the size difference between the QD32 airbox and the 1FZF 80 Series Box
IMG_20110808_192504.jpg

Last edited:
So do we have a contact number for this wreckers in pakenham? hoping he will post an airbox to me.

Cheers

I have just bought a petrol box from the 1FZF engine for $60. The diesel box was $110 at the wreckers and I figured it was easy enought to modify so after a bit of screwing around it is ready to be fitted.
Just need to get some mounting brackets and pipes to plumb it all up.
For those who were wondering what needed to be done to the petrol lid to get it to work here is a before and after pic.
Beforeafterairbox.jpg

And a photo showing the size difference between the QD32 airbox and the 1FZF 80 Series Box
IMG_20110808_192504.jpg

I used the same type too. A bit of messing around finding reducers and sleeves but I was happy with the end product. How'd you go?

Have any of you lads who have done this mod had any trouble fitting intercooler hoses in between the air box and the radiator? From looking at the pics it seems like there isn't much room.

Chule:

It went quite well I think. Mine is a NA diesel for about another week or two so I will be changing the setup once the turbo goes in but here it is as of now.
IMG_20110811_172352.jpg

Realtucker:

I have been wracking my brain trying to work out how to fit an intercooler in the small area left. I am starting to think I might have to front mount it which I was hopeing to avoid. I will stick up a picture in a month or so when I have it worked out the way I want it.

I did this mod 2 days ago with an airbox from a 1HZ 80 series. the difference is quite noticeable (if you're paying attention)

i think the idle is a bit rougher (or louder)
the turbo whistle kicks in sooner
the power delivery is smoother throughout the range
the power bands starts at lower RPM.

noticeable and worth the $125 i paid for the box. everything lined up perfectly with the safari snorkel, but it was a bitch to fit through the chassis hole. :D

I did this mod 2 days ago with an airbox from a 1HZ 80 series. the difference is quite noticeable (if you're paying attention)

i think the idle is a bit rougher (or louder)
the turbo whistle kicks in sooner
the power delivery is smoother throughout the range
the power bands starts at lower RPM.

noticeable and worth the $125 i paid for the box. everything lined up perfectly with the safari snorkel, but it was a bitch to fit through the chassis hole. :D

Hey mate, did you use a diesel airbox? Would you be able to throw up a few pics?

Cheers.

I have been wracking my brain trying to work out how to fit an intercooler in the small area left. I am starting to think I might have to front mount it which I was hopeing to avoid. I will stick up a picture in a month or so when I have it worked out the way I want it.

Yeah me too. I am pretty much sold on the idea of a FMIC though and have been for a while. Heat soak, mounting and size of a top mount are putting me off that option. I've been doing some research on them and i've noticed that rb20 skyline coolers are about the same shape as an XR6 cooler... i think i'm going to go with one of them. Price is relatively the same, although you have to buy/make more of your own piping. Bit bigger too... hopefully performs a bit better too.

Has anyone done this mod to the 3.3L V6???

I see in your garage Cleasc that you have done a great install using the cruiser airbox AND hooked up the genuine Nissan snorkel, (which is only available for diesel Navs!), looks fantastic. Could you let me know please if you used the petrol/diesel air box, and what you did to hook it all up. I am defintaley going to do this now, especially seeing as you can use the Nissan snorkel to connect up to it! :cheers!:

I see in your garage Cleasc that you have done a great install using the cruiser airbox AND hooked up the genuine Nissan snorkel, (which is only available for diesel Navs!), looks fantastic. Could you let me know please if you used the petrol/diesel air box, and what you did to hook it all up. I am defintaley going to do this now, especially seeing as you can use the Nissan snorkel to connect up to it! :cheers!:

Cheers, it turned out to be an expensive exercise as I didn't have the tools, etc to fabricate the new mountings so I handed it off to a fabricator.

I'll sum up what is involved best I can:
-I bought the box with the round outlet on top, not sure which it is.
-Cut off the catch tray and close up hole;
-Fab and weld on new mounts (I think there was 2 needed);
-Cut back and make good round outlet;
-Fab new connectors in pipe work to airflow meter;
-Install new pipework.

The snorkel went on fine, the only part that doesn't work on the V6 is the internal pipework which needed modifying anyway to suit the 80 Series box.

Give you can weld and have the tools, it shouldn't be too difficult but the fabricator did say it was an unpleasant experience getting the right pipes to work given the space available to work in.

Good luck. Let us know if you need some more pics.

I've got a spare 80-series airbox up for sale if anyone's chasing one. Its got the round outlet on lid, not square. It has the water catch can on the motor side, when sitting in place in the nav.

I originally paid 85 for it (2nd hand, very good condition)

Dan.

The snorkel went on fine, the only part that doesn't work on the V6 is the internal pipework which needed modifying anyway to suit the 80 Series box.
Good luck. Let us know if you need some more pics.

If you have a couple more photos showing the modified air intake between the airbox/engine Cleasc that would be great. Looks like a bit of a job!
And the snorkel you ordered was that the 2.5 TD model from Nizzbits?

Thanks for your help mate.

Last edited:
So I used the snorkel from the 3.0 Di.
Here is a pic of the plumbing... passenger side looking to the forward.

Bottom right of the pic shows the coal fuel canister. If your not worried about legalities, just take this out.
Due to the plumbing, they had to move this towards the firewall around 100mm.

Good luck!!!

Attachments

• 2011-10-15 08.43.44.jpg
    2011-10-15 08.43.44.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
Stoopid question time - but just making sure....

FZ petrol bottom - diesel lid.

Are you all running the Ryco A340 filter or the equivalent ?

Stoopid question time - but just making sure....

FZ petrol bottom - diesel lid.

Are you all running the Ryco A340 filter or the equivalent ?

I'm running a full 1HZ diesel airbox., takes a bit of stuffing around, but it fits. yeah the Ryco A340 filter.

Thanks Joe & Joshman.

The box is fitted and this thread was a great help.

I just wanted to confirm the filter being used.

Cheers.

Well................jury is out.
It feels to have a smoother response, and perhaps a small increase in power.
I don't think it sucks as hard through the snorkel and there appears to be less induction noise.
It is sealed up very well and I wonder if the bigger box has caused this.
With the old box if I blocked the snorkel the diesel would stall - it doesn't do that with the 80 box. I have checked for air leaks and I can't find any. (If anyone can suggest a way of checking for leaks I'll happily try them - except for driving into Blue Rock Dam!)

Or......is it just my imagination -perhaps expecting more for the effort.

Any thoughts or technical know how might help.

Latest posts

Back