LED Light Bars

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodyD40

Reaction score
I got the new 4x4 action mag in the mail yesterday, so i thought i'd check our snake racing for a 20" LED Light Bar, retail price $850

thought i'd quickly check EBAY as well,
Off-Road / Rhino / Ranger 20" E-Series LED Light Bars: eBay Motors (item 300481126424 end time Oct-24-10 15:52:28 PDT)
$600 direct from USA - i assume there would be some costs involved in getting it sent over, but i assume the cost would be less than $250 ...

any thoughts folks?

How many people have the LED light Bar, or have seen it in operation ?

I'm wonding if it would be better than the 220dia HID floods i got on the front of the Nav.

There was a guy on the forums a few weeks back from a company who were selling the same kits as snake and seemed to suggest he could do a better deal. I can't remember who he was or his business name but it was a thread about LED bars.

Personally I'd wait till they dropped in price but thats just me, if done right (and I'm not saying these aren't) they can be very effective. But you also have to take into account that everyone's ideas are different. I don't like HID's and reckon I can get a more effective light from a set of driving lights that are made for the purpose but plenty of others disagree. Same will happen here, those who have them will swear by them, those who haven't will either wish for them or dislike them.

Actually I'm a bit more concerned you are reading 4WD action, but atleast you are reading the right bits, toss the articles and read the ads.

the 4x4 action mags were a subscription gift from the MRS .... so i wont complain, i'll just read 'em

He's been fairly quite on the forum front too since that first burst but that really doesn't mean much either I don't suppose

As much as I like LED's, there is little benefit in having LED driving lights. The main advantage of LED's is their low power consumption. This is a big benefit for work lights and other lighting which operates when your engine is not running and you want to conserve battery charge. Generally you will only be using your driving lights whilst driving, so your battery is constantly charging, therefore basically devoids the need to conserve electrical energy.

They do fit in smaller places and are supposedly less vibration but the light pattern is somewhat all over the place. A properly designed driving light reflector directs the light in a specific pattern where as a LED Bar pretty much just throws the light everywhere in front of you. same idea as the HID globe fitted at the wrong focal length it just throws the light everywhere.
Pretty much they are a really good flood light but hard to have as a directed beam

The one thing I am curious about tho is how the cops will take them
According to the NCOP lights have to be in pairs so will be curious how they will go with a single light thats across the grill .
Theoretically they wont be illegal mounted as roof bar lights as they arent under the classification of Driving lights .

Wait til you see them in person, absolutely unbelievable, i'll have one of the big buggers when I eventually get to do some driving out of the city

I can vouch for those LED lightbars,they are unbelievable.

The lightbar mounted on this Polaris Ranger certainly turned night into day.

s186jk.jpg

The one thing I am curious about tho is how the cops will take them
According to the NCOP lights have to be in pairs so will be curious how they will go with a single light thats across the grill .
Theoretically they wont be illegal mounted as roof bar lights as they arent under the classification of Driving lights .

Aussie .... surey they'd be classified as a WORK LIGHT *cough* *cough* not a SPOT LIGHT or DRIVING LIGHT .... *cough cough* ....

i wonder if that would stand up in court .... LOL

Isn't there some rule that states driving lights must be in pairs and commonly switched?
Count the LED's as long as there is an even number they are installed in pairs. If the cough cough work light has any chance of working the pairs debate has to be sound as well.

Isn't there some rule that states driving lights must be in pairs and commonly switched?
Count the LED's as long as there is an even number they are installed in pairs. If the cough cough work light has any chance of working the pairs debate has to be sound as well.

There is a left side and a right side to every LED bar, therefore i would consider there being 2 groups of pairs ...

does that sound convincing ?

I would assume that with proper ADR approvals it would be fine. The law is a progressive thing, and something which generally stays the same until such time as it is challenged. As these LED light bars are relatively new, our laws would not accommodate them yet. If by some remote chance you did get fined for it, I would be fairly confident that you could successfully have the fine revoked under reasonable circumstances, and might go as far as having the legislation revised to accommodate them.

Back