Legal to take out back seats?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boots89

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows if it's legal to take out the back seats of my d22 as would give me lots more room to play with..anyone done this sort of thing or even built Frame around the seats for fridge or extra storage if your legally not allowed to take them out

I have been thinking about doin this myself but as always the mrs and I keep having arguments about it.

According to other threads on this forum it is legal but you would be wise to check with your local roads corp and possibly even with your insurance just to see what they say and make sure rules haven't changed.

I'm sure you have to get the capacity changed via a mod plate. Even taking the rear seat out of the back of my patrol to fit a fridge in is illegal (though everyone does it)

I removed the rear seat for my cape trip as it gave me stacks of room for the clothes and bits. As far as I have looked into it, it is illegal to remove permanently unless mod plated. Other than that a valid reason to the boys in blue is acceptable, ie needed space for trip and they will be going back in once returned home. Also make sure you leave the seatbelts and buckles bolted in.

Rusty

Thanks guys yeah I'll double check with authorities and insurance and post it up on here when I get around to it.. Would be much better for storage and building little seat for the dog and slider for the fridge..

Does any one have pics of the back with the seats removed ? Is it a flat floor or does it have like a hump that the seat sits on ?

Hey mate

I took the back seat out for a fishing trip to exmouth, got pulled over and given a little bill by the boys in blue. They had a look in the back and didn't say anything..

I read in a street drag racing site, that if you remove the back seats ,remove the seat belts and plug the seat belt bolt hole it is legal. If you take out the seats and leave the seat belts in its illegal.

Not 100% but that what I read.

Im in queensland and back in the day when I had my minitruck hilux I took back seats out and seatbelts and they mod plated it too a two seater. In my d40 I take the rear single seat out and put in a plat form for my fridge. I wouldn't bother worrying about it unless anyone says anything do you can always put them back in.

What makes sense is that you can take the seats out so that there are no seats where they were designed to be, but you can't put seats in where they weren't designed to be.

As long as you aren't trying to seat people or pets in that area, nobody can complain. A seat is only really a seat when it has an asshole *cough* I mean a backside on it. Guaranteed my car has ONE with a steering wheel in front of it.

Unless the seat performs a structural roll, then I can not see why it is illegal to remove them.

Tony's comment about arse-holes is pertinent as they really do need a seat, especially around the road-bump hell that is here.

FWIW.both our Mazda vans had seats in the back, making them 5 seaters and the seat and sometimes the seat belts went in and out like a yo-yo depending on what we were doing with it.

Also, the Nikki we won had the front passenger seat removed to make it easier to load and unload the shopping.

Plod never said anything about any of these. Caveat, the only time plod has ever pulled us over is recently because the camper trailer was too far out of rego, but it was their auto number plate checking that picked that up.

Cheers everyone for your inputs.. I'm just going to ask my cuzin who is highway pootrol..and I'm sure my uncle won't go and change the plates on me when he does my rego.. ;-) I'm Gunna take them out on the weekend and hopefully set up something good..

Latest posts

Back