Managed to short circuit dash board lights

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notalive

Reaction score
Hello!

I have a 2005 d22 at approximately 133 000 km(new engine about 30 000 km ago)

A while back I was trying to change the instrument panel lights from standard bulb to led-lights. However as I was changing the bulbs I didn't realize the lights were turned on(brake light fuse was dead from car wash earlier that day)

As I tried to remove the bulb, I got some delicious blue lights and a tiny bit of smoke

Any idea if it is possible to repair this? I tried to dismantle the instrument panel and couldn't see any damage with my eyes.

I find it a bit weird that it's only the two lights that's not working, everything else works as far as I can see. Could there be a hidden fuse somewhere? I can't find any broken fuses.

Or could there be a broken wire somewhere? I managed to get my hands on a new instrument panel from a crashed d22 2004, I just tried that one and didn't get any lights there either.

It's a bit annoying to not have lights when driving at night.

I hope someone has some ideas

Thanks in advance

notalive

Do you have parking lights or tail lights? These run from the same fuse as the dash, so if they aren't working try double checking that fuse... Good luck

Oh and welcome to the forum

I got tail lights and parking lights, but now that I double checked, the left hand front parking light bulb is dead, could that be the reason?

Will have to get my hands on a new bulb and try it.

Thanks for your reply and kind welcome to the forum!:)

I doubt the parker bulb will stop the dash from working.

The instrument lighting is supplied power through pin 37, which is the pin adjacent to the locking lug on the high side of the plug near the tachometer. Check this for positive power when the parkers are turned on, if there's no power here then a fuse is blown or the wiring loom is damaged. Check the next pin towards the outer edge of the plug - pin 36 - it's a common earth for the cluster. Make sure it has a connection to the chassis.

If you have power on pin 37, then a close inspection of the circuit on the rear is required. The resistors and diodes don't appear to have anything to do with the panel illumination, they're for charging, brake and malfunction lights.

Latest posts

Back