Manual control of idle speed

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Tonka

Reaction score
Is there such an aftermarket kit which you can control the idling speed when offroading? I wish I could set the idle speed to about 1100rpm when offroading making the control of the vehicle easier. Please advise.

Does the idle speed reach anything near 1100 when you switch the air conditioning on?

No, it does not increase idle speed at all with air conditioning on. stays at 650 to 700rpm when warm.

The ECU does register about an 8% increase in engine load when the air conditioning compressor comes on and there is a corresponding rise in fuel rail pressure in order to maintain the set idle speed.

I'd think you'd need to do something custom. Since the throttle is electronic, you could always build a device that sits in the throttle cable. This runs to a switch on your dash which, when turned on, adds a small amount of resistance (use a potentiometer so it's adjustable) - your ECU will think you're holding the throttle at a certain level. Depressing the throttle pedal will just increase the resistance = more throttle.

Naturally this won't work if the throttle assembly uses max resistance for no throttle. You'd have to wire up a parallel resistor to overcome that.

The ECU does register about an 8% increase in engine load when the air conditioning compressor comes on and there is a corresponding rise in fuel rail pressure in order to maintain the set idle speed.

I'd think you'd need to do something custom. Since the throttle is electronic, you could always build a device that sits in the throttle cable. This runs to a switch on your dash which, when turned on, adds a small amount of resistance (use a potentiometer so it's adjustable) - your ECU will think you're holding the throttle at a certain level. Depressing the throttle pedal will just increase the resistance = more throttle.

Naturally this won't work if the throttle assembly uses max resistance for no throttle. You'd have to wire up a parallel resistor to overcome that.

i cant see any throttle cable on my 22

The European models have a warm up switch on the dash (Goes in the blank spot beside the steering colum in front of where your left knee is.) that makes the engine rev higher to warm it up quickly in cold weather.

I had a look but there isn't a loom for it but if you found out what wires it would plug into in the BCM you may be able to make it work.

I wonder how many people would want a idle speed controller? Might be worth somebody making a kit.

My old 83 hilux had a hand throttle which you could wind out to increase the revs, the more you would it the higher the revs. The accelerator pedal also went in when winding it.

My D22 has a hand throttle which you can pull out which is set to 1k, 1.5k and 2k. You just set it to which click you want and push it back in when you want normal idle.

I wonder how many people would want a idle speed controller? Might be worth somebody making a kit.

i would like one....Autron who make here things like fly by wire cruise controls would be able to make something,
actually they are advertising a two gauge and pillar mount to suit many trucks now.

The European models have a warm up switch on the dash (Goes in the blank spot beside the steering colum in front of where your left knee is.) that makes the engine rev higher to warm it up quickly in cold weather.

I had a look but there isn't a loom for it but if you found out what wires it would plug into in the BCM you may be able to make it work.

our trucks have a warmup switch

Surely there is a hand throttle pull kit available?
Otherwise you can try to learn how to drive to suit the conditions, ie, you only ever need two feet when going off roads.

Cruise control kits could probably be modified as well.

Or if you really want a quick fix, just wind up the idle adjustment to something higher and bring her back down when you don't need it.

As Krankin said there isn't actually a cable that controls the throttle. The throttle is run on drive by wire. So basically it is run using electrical sensors that tell the ECU how far the pedal is depressed and adjust the fuel to suit.

I think if the hand throttle idea was to be created it would be in the way of a separate sensor connected to the throttle sender wire which could be wound out to suit the rpm wanted while still leaving the pedal to be used.

Surely there is a hand throttle pull kit available?

No hand throttle pull kit available, because all of those kits work with a cable. There is no cable in these, it's all wiring. Playstations with wheels.

Otherwise you can try to learn how to drive to suit the conditions, ie, you only ever need two feet when going off roads.

Hand throttles are helpful in three scenarios, none of which have anything to do with learning to drive to suit conditions;
- low speed "cruise control" of sorts, such as when you're collecting hay bales from a paddock. Chuck it in first low and let it crawl along while guys chuck bales on the back, makes it easier for the driver to be smooth. I'm sure there's a similar scenario when hunting from the back of a 4x4.
- really really steep off-road hill starts where the handbrake is useless (especially as engines become more and more boost dependent, and so need more throttle to take off)
- rough slow going where you want a constant throttle position, unaffected by the fact that the driver is being thrown around the cabin and can't keep their foot still.

Or if you really want a quick fix, just wind up the idle adjustment to something higher and bring her back down when you don't need it.

Fully electronic. Nothing to "wind".

I test drove the new Ford Ranger and it was equiped with idle speed controller. All you have to press a switch on the dash to activate the system and use the cruise control switches to adjust the idle speed.

I test drove the new Ford Ranger and it was equiped with idle speed controller. All you have to press a switch on the dash to activate the system and use the cruise control switches to adjust the idle speed.

I'm liking the sound of a lot of things about that car. And the Ranger looks alright, at least a lot better than its Mazda equivalent.

And do you think the guys like at Chipit could make an add on kit to control the idling speed?

Latest posts

Back