My d22 from GO to WHoA

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the photos Solid!! I especially love when showing all the gazillions you have spent on your suspension etc and still throw in the pic of the new aerial LOL so funny

What a great read, everyone.

Aido, you are so cheeky I love it and

I totally agree with Pro-Nav. I would love a dual cab patrol! Why didnt they go into it grrrr

Lastly Bullwinkle, I have seen about 4 cut down nissan wagons to dual cabs getting around Gladstone lately. Even GUs are getting cut down. Purrrrrrr looks good.

Thanks belle.
While im waiting around i have to post something that i done to my car.
If IFS is the ultimate for off road then why hasn't any tuff truck's got em?

For it to be the ultimate it need sto be custom, I'm guessing budget and ease of replacement parts? Not sure.

If you are talking unlimited $$$ and imagination then IFS is better for either. In any 4wd application how could front wheels acting independently of each other NOT be better? Solid front ends are better when compared to "off the factory floor" setups and are cheap when compared to some of the more extreme mods/build ups. Case in point: (I know it's extreme but it IS an IFS system in it's most brutal form)

YouTube - Chainlink extreme 4x4

i agree... that thing is completely nuts!! An unlimited funds/engineering know how though!! might be a bit much to convert the nav!

That car is nuts but lets not get it confused, it is an ifs setup but its not ifs as we know it, it is completely different and any ifs set up as we know it will never compare to a solid front or rear application.
Iv seen some pretty good flex from solid comp trucks too, nothing in comparison but not far off to that vid but what that vid does prove is the way the arms are working on that car is exactly the same as a solid axle car with radius or trailing arms. Seemed like it had hydraulic suspension too.

There are other considerations between solid axles and IFS.

When one wheel on a solid axle rises, the angle of that wheel changes in respect to the horizontal. With an IFS, the angle remains constant. This means that solid axles at their extremes present just the corner of the tyre to the ground, which not only reduces traction but can cause damage to the tyre wall. IFS doesn't do that.

That being said, without drastic changes to any SUV, the solid axle will articulate further than IFS because the range of the arms supporting the wheel in IFS is limited vertically. In order to increase that range, the length of the arms needs to increase and you've only so much space to play with there - that's why the IFS of the car in the video was completely translated around.

Each has its benefits, and if you could fit rounded tyres to a solid axle you'd overcome their major drawback as well.

There are other considerations between solid axles and IFS.

When one wheel on a solid axle rises, the angle of that wheel changes in respect to the horizontal. With an IFS, the angle remains constant. This means that solid axles at their extremes present just the corner of the tyre to the ground, which not only reduces traction but can cause damage to the tyre wall. IFS doesn't do that.

That being said, without drastic changes to any SUV, the solid axle will articulate further than IFS because the range of the arms supporting the wheel in IFS is limited vertically. In order to increase that range, the length of the arms needs to increase and you've only so much space to play with there - that's why the IFS of the car in the video was completely translated around.

Each has its benefits, and if you could fit rounded tyres to a solid axle you'd overcome their major drawback as well.

Well said.

Bought myself some optima deep cycle batteries, 2 of em just to make sure my engel lasts longer on those hot camping days, im trying to get hold of my auto elec now but the best thing about these batteries is they fit behind the back seat, no brackets required. Both batteries will be a secondary and a third for appliances, my starter battery will stay up front.

i think we are all agreed that IFS in its absolute extreme set up, is better ofcourse...and that rig on youtube, take note of the point that suspension is connected, its like independant swing arms off the centre of the car not a traditional road set up by any means, the amount of work needed to get IFS to match SAS for capabilties and cost, is nowhere near the ball park. hence why all comp trucks have solid axles, and why guys all over the world pull out the IFS and convert to solid axle. ...well because its better...and can be done legally and get way more out of the truck.

Good choice on those batteries Solid! They should keep the ales nice and cool! save on your main battery as well

Most, if not all Dakar setups are IFS, different type of off-road racing though. And the King of the Hammers comp had a couple of IFS setups last year (more traditional set-ups, not like the youtube vid), will be interesting to see if there is more or not this year.

Just want to mention that I am neither pro IFS or Solid Axle, it's horses for courses, there is no doubt that a solid axle gives best bang for buck for Joe Average (not saying you're Joe Average.)

They are good batteries Stef, I wouldn't be putting them behind the back seat without brackets though, could turn into missiles if you have an accident.

Last edited:
Please stay on topic, start a thread about IFS verse live axle if use wanna keep talking about it.

Dave.

The batteries fit snug behing the seat so you dont really need any brackets to hold them down, but what i will do is make either a metal or leather strap to hold them in place, just for in case.

More about my diff im chasing up. The person in the u.s is not responding to emails or phone calls so iv given him/her the flick. I cant trust handing over cash electronically to someone who i can hardly keep in contact with.

On a good note i found a diff centre which will custom make me a dana 44 diff out of a wrangler, so we got talking about it and finally come to a decision that if im going to be custom making it then why not go for a 9 inch.
So thats where im at, i will be getting a custom made 9inch with most probably 4.88 gears and an lsd for now, it will still have the nav's brakes setup. Its not cheaper either im looking at $3500. Might be a few months till i get it, need to find some work first.
At least i found a solution to my problem, WOOHOO!
Auto elec is coming next week to connect up the secondary batteries.

The batteries fit snug behing the seat so you dont really need any brackets to hold them down, but what i will do is make either a metal or leather strap to hold them in place, just for in case.
Definitely need to restrain them and not just rely on the seat latch keeping it all in place in the event of a sudden stop.
Givvus the details if you want a strap made up - My sister runs her own industrial sewing business.
Nats Rug and Harness in Horsham. :victory:

Latest posts

Back